Who has a RCBS or Redding turret press?

I have a Lyman tmag I like it well enough, but after using a friend's Redding I wish I HD spent the extra $$.

I always prime by hand unless I'm using the progressive.

I have my powder measure on one station of the turret. Not quite as convienent as dedicated stand but it does save space.
I have the RCBS & all works well. I load 9mm , .45 ACP, 38 spl, 357 mag, & a few .223. Priming system works great in the 3000 to 4000 I hVe loaded on it. I mounted a RCBS lil dandy powder throw in one of the holes & it also works great (just expensive for a few of the rotors).

I have the redding turret. It's built like a tank. Bought an extra turret, so I have 556/308 on one turret. 9mm & 45 on the other. 

Priming system on the redding is sold separately, but I've been happy with it. Would be nice if it held more primers in the tube. It's not hard, but it is tedious to switch between large and small primers.  Mainly because it involves a paper clip and a small spring.  

My lee perfect powder measure does not work well on the turret. It sits too low to activate the lever.  I ended up setting it up on a single stage press.  I reload with a buddy so its not too big a deal. 

I would be interested in adding a better powder charging system to it at some point. 

For me, the only advantage of a turret press is changing dies more quickly.  With that said,  I would personally recommend getting a Forster CO-AX.  You can change dies just as quickly and you will have the best press made.  Once you set your dies, which you have to do on either press, you simply slide them in and out as needed.  I would say another reason the co-ax is better is that you don't need extra turrets.  Simply keep your dies in their box once set and you can go right back to using them the next time.

The only negative could be that I wouldn't use a powder measure on it, but I wouldn't do that anyway.  I think most people do one function to all brass and then go on to the next, but I could be wrong.  I don't see myself leaving one piece of brass in and turning a turret 3 or 4 times for each piece, but I suppose some might.

Just another perspective.

Edited by Hozzie
I use a cheap ol' Lee turret. I'm only jumping in in reference to Hozzie's last paragraph. I know everyone's different, but I actually do use the turret when loading. I do my depriming all at once and hand prime while watching TV. Then I use the 3 hole turret to load each round. Flare/charge - turn - seat to depth/remove flare/crimp - turn - factory crimp die. Repeat.

I know the FCD is considered a wasted step by many. That's cool. I like it, so I'm gunna keep doing it.

I use the pro auto disk and sure, it leaves something to be desired for match grade consistency. However, it's fast and easy for making plinking ammo. Also, by choosing small spherical powders (AA series, most Ramshots) instead of large flakes, it becomes less of an issue.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

I was looking for more RPM. "Rounds per minute" I went from a hand press and a cheap o single stage to the T7. 

I can honestly admit, unless there are two of us working the presses the T7 did not gain us a substantial gain in RPM's.  

The T7 seems to be extremely well built, very solid, and smooth. 

I do think if I had to do it over again, I would have gone progressive. 

For me, the only advantage of a turret press is changing dies more quickly.  With that said,  I would personally recommend getting a Forster CO-AX.  You can change dies just as quickly and you will have the best press made.  Once you set your dies, which you have to do on either press, you simply slide them in and out as needed.  I would say another reason the co-ax is better is that you don't need extra turrets.  Simply keep your dies in their box once set and you can go right back to using them the next time.

The only negative could be that I wouldn't use a powder measure on it, but I wouldn't do that anyway.  I think most people do one function to all brass and then go on to the next, but I could be wrong.  I don't see myself leaving one piece of brass in and turning a turret 3 or 4 times for each piece, but I suppose some might.

Just another perspective.

You reminded me.  I wanted a Forester.  And Wifey wanted me to choose a birthday present. Solved.

It will complement my T-7.

I guess that's what I was wanting to know too, how much faster is a turret press that a single stage.

If you use the turret kind of like a manually indexing progressive then itll be a bit faster especially using a powder drop/drum and a bullet feeder tube (Lee offering).

If you use it to just keep your dies set, i.e run one station at a time like a SS - wont do squat.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody know of a used one for sale?

Nope I've never seen a used Redding T-7 for sale but turret presses get listed occasionally in the TGO Classifieds as well as on other forums. I frequently see them on Craigslist. As good as the Redding T-7 is another cast iron turret press worth your consideration is the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. It's solid, consistent, will use any dies or powder measure you like and is very affordable. If it doesn't do everything you want its a great spare press.

The Lee presses seem like they are cheap made,may not be.I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and a RCBS partner ,I bought for a spare.If I bought a turret press I planned on selling the Partner press.I'll check out the Lee press.

The Lee Classic Cast Press and Classic Cast Turret press are entirely different animals...both are very well built and very heavy duty. After owning a progressive Lee press the only Lee products I trusted were the dies and bullet molds. The Classic Cast Turret press changed my mind.

Does it have or come with a priming system?

Yes. FWIW I recommend the complete Classic Turret Kit with hand held primer tools, scale, powder measure etc. Even if you don't need the extra stuff its handy to have around. I'd post some links but the site (or my computer) are being a bit buggy about that at the moment. Go to Midway or Mid South Shooting Supply and take a look for yourself.

Tell me what you like / dislike about them.How well does the priming system work and how well does a powder thrower work on one?I have a Rock Chucker, and have been thinking about getting a turret.

I've used a Rock Chucker since the 1970s.  It's not fast but is very consistent.  When I need speed I use a Dillon.