My wife got me a sweet Anniversary Present

rugerla1

Calm down, it's not a gun. She said it's my job to buy the weapons....that said, she provided something to carry them in!

It's a Plano Tactical 108031 AW Extra Large Pistol Case. She got it for right at $75. Seems to be designed to turn 2 pistols in alternating fashion (2 on top layer and 2 on bottom layer). But I'm going to pick up another slim piece of foam and make one layer for magazines/accessories and the other for pistols. Well, that's where I'm at anyway.

I only have a couple of pictures but it's just because I was excited to show it off. I'll take a few more detailed pictures when the girls aren't trying to go to sleep as the dogs bark because I'm up making noise. :lol:

This thing is BIG!  It has 4 heavy dual stage locking latches, two of which lock. They provide 2 keys of course. It also has padlock tabs for airline compliance. The o-ring seems pretty well made and of decent thickness. There are two pluck-able layers of high density foam, and they are about 2 inches thick each I believe. In the bottom of the case there is a smaller and thinner piece of removable foam that fits the section of the case that is of a smaller than OAD of the case. There is also a pressure relief valve in the back of the case wall. What I did may not be what everyone does, but I plucked out the size per pistol first. Then the piece I removed, I cut in half with my knife and re-inserted back into the hole. I did that to decrease the distance from the foam each pistol laid on and the one that pressed on the top of it when closing the lid. I doubt very seriously that a little bouncing in between foam would "hurt" anything, but it's what I thought would work better.

I'm still in thinking mode about how I'll finish it off. I don't want to rush and then come up with a better plan next week. All in all it is a very nice case and I'm very happy with it.

See? I told you I was excited!

20160114_205214_zpswpbhh7jy.jpg

20160114_214450_zpsljjilqgm.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 9

I've been looking at the Plano cases too, though specifically for my GoPro and accessories. I will admit I perused them for pistols as well for more than a moment. Very nice case, and at $75, it would have to be a real hunk o' junk not to be a pretty sweet deal.

• Like 1

IN real life you're Ted Nugent, aren't you?

ted-nugent.png

I wish!! Haha

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look around at work today and see if we have any thin pieces of foam I can use to separate the top and bottom pieces of pluck foam. That's the only thing it didn't come with and I don't want things on top layer rubbing items in the bottom. Not a big deal, easy to fix.

I wish!! Haha

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look around at work today and see if we have any thin pieces of foam I can use to separate the top and bottom pieces of pluck foam. That's the only thing it didn't come with and I don't want things on top layer rubbing items in the bottom. Not a big deal, easy to fix.

Just a thin layer of polyethylene sheet would work for that.  Firm enough for some support between layers but still somewhat bendy. 

• Like 1

This picture damn near made me shoot coffee out of my nose. Congrats, man!  :cheers:

You're welcome! And thanks TDR!

And he was drinking a glass of orange juice!!!!!

Cool case man. My wife is the same way. I've been secretly hoping for years that she'll surprise me with a sub-compact or a CNR or something like that. 

The o-ring seems pretty well made and of decent thickness....

I'm still in thinking mode about how I'll finish it off. 

Ohhhh my..... :dunno:  

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 1
c9ea5173f701a918e4e2665596f70a9d.jpg

I love mine. I went vertical with everything and it will hold 7 with mags. And it has taken a rough fall once or twice. Enjoy it.

Edit. One problem with going vertical is my threaded barrels have to go in a separate spot. But they fit in there as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by WarPig
  • Like 1