Petition to remove suppressors from NFA

• 3 months later...

I heard at the show this past weekend that both NFA-TCA and Ohio Ordnance are fighting against removing anything from NFA tooth and nail. Word is NFA-TCA are the group the authored the 41F/P that is about to go into effect. Until we can shut down the cancer in our own field, we won't be able to get them removed. 

32 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

I heard at the show this past weekend that both NFA-TCA and Ohio Ordnance are fighting against removing anything from NFA tooth and nail. Word is NFA-TCA are the group the authored the 41F/P that is about to go into effect. Until we can shut down the cancer in our own field, we won't be able to get them removed. 

Good luck with that, if they are removed the bottom will drop out of the market and there is no way any of those shops will support that.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 24, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Mindless-Focus said:

Facts.  Look into Jeff Folloder and some of the stupid stuff he says and does.  He left a NFA group on Facebook because they called him out as a traitor.  He's a terrible human being when it comes to NFA. 

Jeff Folloder, the executive director of the N.F.A. Trade and Collectors Association, says his members have learned to live with gun registration and lose no sleep worrying about confiscation. “There are still an enormous number of people who think if they register and purchase an N.F.A. weapon, they’re giving A.T.F. permission to come knock on their door at any time, and that’s just not true,” Mr. Folloder told me. “You’re not giving up any rights.”

• Like 1

Yea, but many would have to ride it out and are unwilling to take that chance.  It would not be an overnight kind of thing either since many who are already into silencers would try and make their own vs buying, and the retailers would be worse off, they would have to wait until the manufacturers dropped their prices and may get stuck with expensive inventory.  That being said, everyone would benefit in the long run.

I'm not an NFA owner having just moved from the totalitarian state of NY. I'd like to be but cost keeps me from it so far. Capitalism will work if given a chance. No one wants to be stuck with expensive inventory, or find out that they just completed paperwork on a $1000 can that will be $250 in the near future. I doubt that the existing NFA manufacturers really want it in the short term, but if they look at the long term it would be good for them.

Yes there are those that would make their own but most don't have the skills or equipment. I think that the hunting community will be (if its not already) the biggest driver behind this they have the most to gain from hearing safe(r),  guns.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

Yes there are those that would make their own but most don't have the skills or equipment. I think that the hunting community will be (if its not already) the biggest driver behind this they have the most to gain from hearing safe(r),  guns.

I have found that in certain circumstances, making something yourself can be more expensive after you consider the time and material involved when compared to an item that can be bought from a manufacturer that makes hundreds of the same items a day. I think this is one of those times.

• Like 1

Agreed. A smart manufacturer would be able to come up with a program like that. Lets face it there isn't $500 in materials in your typical $1000 can, but I believe that there could be $250 in materials, and then there's engineering and regulatory paperwork. Prices would come down, but performance would still cost a premium. Customers would have greater choice, and would buy more on features & performance than availability. There would be a glut of low end cans quickly on the market, but the good and bad would get sorted out quickly enough.

• Moderators
I'm in the "not worried about registration leading to confiscation" camp.  I'm also in the "it's BS that SBR's and silencers/suppressors are on the NFA list" camp. 

I'm in the "the existence of the NFA at all is BS" and the "I don't care what kind of registration they pass, I'll ignore it anyway and if they try confiscation it won't end well for anyone involved" camps. ;)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I'm in the "the existence of the NFA at all is BS" and the "I don't care what kind of registration they pass, I'll ignore it anyway and if they try confiscation it won't end well for anyone involved" camps. ;)

Complying with a registration law wouldn't be unpalatable to the point of civil disobedience to me.  Confiscation is a different story, and one I hope we never have to hear.  That said, I'm sure those who would want both are constantly evaluating the risk/reward of implementing their wishes. 

Edited by btq96r

I too would like to see them taken off the NFA list so prices could get driven down my the market.  And I agree that many will not attempt it, but there is really nothing to making your own, in both cost and effectiveness.  But many, me included would rather just buy one in the long run they are much better.  Eventually manufacturers would make up for any losses, and in fact sell more since then many would get one for each weapon instead of sharing between them and no prolonged wait to get them. so more impulse purchases.

The licensing agreements between manufacturers would be where the money is.  How many gun makers would offer their rifles 'factory suppressed' if they could?  All of them.  

There wouldn't be an AR on the rack without a can on it.  Hunting rifles would would do very well too.  

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Caster said:

How many gun makers would offer their rifles 'factory suppressed' if they could?  All of them.  

There wouldn't be an AR on the rack without a can on it.  Hunting rifles would would do very well too.  

I think rifles as seen today would still be offered, with cans as an add on item much like you can get a handguard or muzzle break.  Also offered would be the factory suppressed option, but I don't think non-suppressed guns would go extinct.

Nor do I but at least for the first few years, the market would get turned inside out and people would go knucking futts buying them left and right.  

God knows a day at the range would be a lot nicer.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Complying with a registration law wouldn't be unpalatable to the point of civil disobedience to me.  Confiscation is a different story, and one I hope we never have to hear.  That said, I'm sure those who would want both are constantly evaluating the risk/reward of implementing their wishes. 

In general I do my best to ignore the existence of government at every turn. In the case of an arms registration I would view it as not just my baseline tendency, but a moral imperative. The government doesn't get a list of what arms I possess because #### you, that's why. 

• Like 1

Wow, glad this spawned conversation. I had forgotten about this. There was a group that called out Ohio Ordnance at the NRA show. I was around to listen. Yeah, they are 100% in support of the NFA and talked very highly of it. I get it. They want to keep the value of their investment up. On the other hand, the NFA is an infringement on our rights. It's restricting what we can own. I see silencers as accessories. It's like a cell phone case. Your phone doesn't need it, but it's better when you have one and can protect your phone. In the case of the silencer, it protects your hearing. I agree. The market would flip over night, but would steady out over time. Frankly, it'd be best for the manufacturers. Over time, they'd sell more. Many are put off by the stamp and wait alone. I see more benefits to releasing silencers overall. Every sector of the firearm industry can benefit from them. Also, I think the liberals heads would explode if they ever went mainstream and was released from the NFA. I'm fine with that. 

I was at knob creek and heard jeff from nfa-tca address the vendors- his group is actively trying to get support for the hearing protection act which would remove supressors from the nfa.

Manufacturers present were more than enthusiastic about it as the potential sales volume is exponential vs today

1 hour ago, Hershmeister said:

I was at knob creek and heard jeff from nfa-tca address the vendors- his group is actively trying to get support for the hearing protection act which would remove supressors from the nfa.

Manufacturers present were more than enthusiastic about it as the potential sales volume is exponential vs today

That's more encouraging than some things I've heard about some nfa vendors. I hope that nfa-tca speaks as a unified voice for its members on this matter...