Been meaning to do this for a long time

rugerla1

I finally pulled everything (firearms) out and documented make, model, caliber, and serial number. I have multiple security measures in place to keep them safe but fire is also a worry. I took pictures in group fashion but do you guys take individual pictures with the above info readable? I made an excel spreadsheet so I can add to it/update as needed.

I'm so glad I finally did this and hope to never need it. But it also got me thinking about something else. I remember quite a while ago there was a conversation on here about extra firearm insurance. Possibly through NRA and I think a couple more options were mentioned? My homeowners insurance will pay enough to make me wish I'd done this sooner, and not come close at all to helping me replace them.

Any ideas are welcome. And if you haven't done this, maybe my doing it will motivate you to not procrastinate any longer and get to it :lol:
Smart idea. I have an excel sheet with serial numbers, date bought, and any other relevant info (traded, etc...). I have a group picture and individual pictures of my firearms. Don't know that that would make a difference but couldn't hurt.

Would love to see a pic of the group!
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
I use a program called Shot Works Pro. It allows for all detail on guns, ammo, accessories, maintenance and reloading supplies. You can also record all purchase and sell information and attach pictures to each individual item. The accessories allows you to link items to a particular gun. You can print reports and backup the data. Best thing I have seen for inventory . You can download a demo to play around with it. Only cost $19.95. I have full records in case I ever need it. I have a separate insurance policy to cover my firearms and ammo. No serial numbers required except on the items over $5000.

http://shotworkspro.com
  • Like 1
Most homeowner's insurance policies cover firearms up to $2500, with $1500 max per individual, and subject to you deductible.

My insurance (State Farm) said I should get a separate personal property policy, which would cover guns, jewelry, artwork, musical instruments, etc. Every item covered has to be documented via description, photo, serial number (as applicable) and value. All values had to be substantiated and any single item over $5000 required a written appraisal.
  • Like 1

I use an excel spreadsheet, and I have a hard copy in my lockbox at the bank and in the cloud.  I do  have individual pictures of each firearm.  I also have the NRA insurance and a special rider of insurance from State Farm.   So I am about 90% covered. 

But I will tell you, the day I got the rider, I felt like I was treated as a freak.  The lady at State Farm actually rolled her eyes and re-confirmed that had X amount, and that I wanted insurance.   I know she wanted to ask me why.  I almost prefer just filling out paperwork online and paying online.

• Like 1

I use a program called Shot Works Pro. It allows for all detail on guns, ammo, accessories, maintenance and reloading supplies. You can also record all purchase and sell information and attach pictures to each individual item. The accessories allows you to link items to a particular gun. You can print reports and backup the data. Best thing I have seen for inventory . You can download a demo to play around with it. Only cost $19.95. I have full records in case I ever need it. I have a separate insurance policy to cover my firearms and ammo. No serial numbers required except on the items over $5000.

http://shotworkspro.com

I hadn't really even considered the insurance covering ammo/mags/accessories. What an oversight that would have been! Thanks.

Most homeowner's insurance policies cover firearms up to $2500, with $1500 max per individual, and subject to you deductible.

My insurance (State Farm) said I should get a separate personal property policy, which would cover guns, jewelry, artwork, musical instruments, etc. Every item covered has to be documented via description, photo, serial number (as applicable) and value. All values had to be substantiated and any single item over $5000 required a written appraisal.

We have Farm Bureau so I'll check and see what the deal is with them. I went on to the NRA website and checked the ArmsCare Plus package. For $10,000 it was right at a $100 and $15,000 ran about $150-$170 per year. Not too bad considering and extra info only needed on firearms over $2500.

I use an excel spreadsheet, and I have a hard copy in my lockbox at the bank and in the cloud.  I do  have individual pictures of each firearm.  I also have the NRA insurance and a special rider of insurance from State Farm.   So I am about 90% covered. 

But I will tell you, the day I got the rider, I felt like I was treated as a freak.  The lady at State Farm actually rolled her eyes and re-confirmed that had X amount, and that I wanted insurance.   I know she wanted to ask me why.  I almost prefer just filling out paperwork online and paying online.

That's what I was wondering on too (Copy in lockbox). I was planning on putting a copy on a thumb drive and having my Dad keep a copy in case my other copies weren't available to me.

• Moderators

I go through a collectibles insurance company. Much better overall for the money and you don't get the eye rolls, etc.
  • Like 1
I also have State Farm and got the same dumb looks. I asked the lady if she had a rider for anything and why? Deer in headlights look. She finished the forms and looked like she was lost in thought for the rest of the time. Sometimes they just don't get it. Edited by n0rlf
  • Like 1
I talked to a good friend of mine and he has extra coverage through State Farm as well. He wasn't sure how much since his wife set it up, but I reminded him that some plans may require updating as his collection grow as far as coverage. I'm of the opinion at this point that the NRA plus package will keep me from going in and getting those eye rolls locally. Probably going this route.

I use the Gun Inventory app on my iPhone.  I like that it's backed up to the iCloud, so the information is there in case my phone takes a dump.  The app stores photos as well, so I have close up photos of the serial numbers stored in the app along with all the written information on the firearms.  You start to realize that you're a hoarder once you enter all your information into this app.

• Like 1

I hadn't really even considered the insurance covering ammo/mags/accessories. What an oversight that would have been! Thanks.

My Agent told me that those items are considered parts of your normal
Personal possession covered under the regular homeowners policy.

Guns are the only exclusion as already noted here.

I use the Itemizer app

My Agent told me that those items are considered parts of your normal
Personal possession covered under the regular homeowners policy.

So if you have X amount of ammo/accessories should I have something documented with that dollar amount (or close to it) since they will be under personal possession in the homeowner policy? Edited by rugerla1

Here's how I handled this.

I took detailed pics of each firearm.  I have an iPhone, so it isn't hard and the pics automatically backup in the cloud.

I recorded everything in an Excel spreadsheet.

Next, I didn't read every response on this thread, though did read a couple of negatives regarding insurance companies.   I don't put up with crap if I am buying a policy.  I use Statefarm.  My agent, who is awesome, told me about their 'personal articles' policy. 

I read where some guns need an appraisal.  He said I didn't need to do that, but needed to be able to show reasonable proof of the value, which took me to Internet to see where prices are.

While I was at it, I added some computer equipment to the policy.

Firearms insurance is expensive as you pay for the risk of what the gun could do.  At least, that's how State Farm evaluates it.

A comment above referred to a written appraisal for anything over $5,000.  I don't have any individual guns with a value exceeding that, so I can't say for sure.

Many of my guns are civil war guns.  I took the very detailed pics so that in the event of a claim, I would have proof.  With old guns, one stamp in the wood or metal can make a very big difference in value.  Of course that doesn't apply to most modern guns.

• Like 1