Thinking of relocating from behind the iron curtain

My wife and I are looking to leave the northeast (Massachusetts currently) for more freedom and a better way of life with better people. I am a Colt DA revolver collerctor, home builder, I have built a few akms, uzis, a mg42, a bren, glock with a sheet metal lower, and am currently working on a type 3 east German ak. I also love fast cars. Currently in the stable I have a 81 bmw that is a monster, 79 El Camino that I am restoring and a Subaru sti. I like freedom and as a result it is time to move. My wife and I visited Nashville last year and that put Tennessee on the list of places we may relocate to.

I would like to have some space where I can grow food and have animals. Goats, chickens. Maybe more in the future but currently that is all I know from growing up on a farm in South Jersey. Are there any places that sound like they fit that we should look?

If you wish to stay close to Nashville, I think Decature Tn which is in meigs county has alot of land at good price...Its my dream to get about 30 acres there some day...Gun Friendly people with lots of freedom...Crime is low, decent cell reception....I hope you the best with your move.....

• Like 1
Decatur has some promising land. I am tempted to just buy 50 acres in case we want to build. My wife has some friends in Nashville that could look at the plots and let me know what will work for me.

The other side is buying a farm but what I have found on my searches are far to rich for my blood.

Thank you raildog. Edited by shadyduk1979

I would like to have some space where I can grow food and have animals. Goats, chickens. Maybe more in the future but currently that is all I know from growing up on a farm in South Jersey. Are there any places that sound like they fit that we should look?

Lots of places all over the state.  I would avoid Memphis as all reports suggest it is a hell hole.  With the exception of the Nashville area any where outside of the major city's you should be able to find land and at decent prices way lower costs than in MA.  I was able to get a 2400+ sq ft house on 1 ache near Chattanooga for 115k with no restrictions and a yearly tax bill under $600.  You can find housing with 5+ ache outside of Nashville in the 200k to 300k range the cost will be higher the closer you get to the city of Brentwood.  From people in the Nashville area I have been told to avoid the area's north of Nashville because of high crime.  I would personally avoid west of the city as it is controlled by Liberals.  When I was tiring to narrow down where to move I was looking at a place with over 50 ache that was prices right under 200k but it was over an hour outside of Nashville.  In the end I choose to move to Chattanooga as the area was nicer and I could get a place 30 min out for far less then a place an hour outside of Nashville would have cost me.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

My 2 cents (matbe$.01)... "If" you prefer to stay within shouting distance to Nashville I would suggest anything 20-30 minutes south of 840, but not too far east or west of 65.  Depending on price range, there are nice rolling areas on both sides of I-65, but I really like areas west of Spring-hill/Thompson Station and Columbia.  Depending how far you go, it's not too pricey and you can stay within an Hour of Nashville and hit I-65 south for a decent long weekend drive to the coast. You can also hit the Natchez Trace and see some real nice country out there.  There are some real nice areas 30 minutes to an hour south of Murfreesboro off I-24 too!

Raoul has it about right in the end though... Except for Memphis (sorry Memphis, you have good BBQ though!)

Glad to have you.  You didn't mention where in MA you are.  You may want to be close to one of the bigger cities - Nashville, Chattanooga or Knoxville - if you are used to city type amenities.

I'm on the edge of Nashville and love it here.  

I would definitely avoid Memphis, or as we think of it, 'Mogadishu on the Mississippi'.  Memphis is a sad story.

I recently moved onto the area and restricted myself to east TN because I love the mountains. Found a place near Dayton 18+acres and a great home under 300k about 1/3 less than what I would have paid in the Adirondack mtns of NY where I'm from. I'm less than an hour from Chattanooga and any shopping etc that we need. I'm VERY happy with the move.

We were considering building until we spotted this place. There is plenty of land to be had at fair prices and the cost of living is reasonable. My neighbors are all like minded and don't mind if I shoot etc.

The land is a lot like the Berkshire mtns but with more clay in the soil. Something to consider if farming is in your future.

I live in Midtown Nashville.  I do love it here, but if I were buying land to farm and build a house it would be in East TN.  Greene County, Blount County, rural Knox County, anywhere in there is really great.  Upper East Greene County is in my opinion some of the most beautiful land in the state.  Between Greeneville and Erwin

I recently moved onto the area

Ditto what he said... just haven't found the old farmhouse yet.

If you have school aged children, start shopping by school district first, there are big differences from one town to the next. Made a big impact on our search (and why we ended up in Kingston!).

Welcome, you'll like it down here (left NY in August).

• 3 weeks later...

If you wish to stay close to Nashville, I think Decature Tn which is in meigs county has alot of land at good price...Its my dream to get about 30 acres there some day...Gun Friendly people with lots of freedom...Crime is low, decent cell reception....I hope you the best with your move.....

Just a point of information Decatur is 2 1/2-3 hours from Nashville.  It is a nice area though.

Nothing wrong with Memphis... just more of a reason to keep up on your self defense skills. :D Some decent places near Memphis.

You're kidding, right. Please tell me you are joking. I will agree it is not too bad once you get outside Shelby County. Germantown and Collierville aren't bad, either, but they are still too close for comfort. Memphis proper just plain sucks. Any time you can cross over into Mississippi and see conditions improve it means it is bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk