Anyone else get looks from the range officers when picking up your brass?

I didn't even go after anyone else's, just mine.   :cop:  :wall:  :dunno:

I understand they probably make money on the brass... it just makes sense... however, stop giving me looks for picking up my own... lol

What are your guys' thoughts on this?  Is there an understood etiquette to this?

Brandon

Good points... yes, this was an indoor range where they sweep up the brass and keep it... and they seemed to sweep a little more frequently after I started picking mine up.  I will continue to pick my own brass up, for sure.  Other ranges, such as Stones River, you're expected to cleanup after yourself.  I think I should shoot there more often.  haha.

Brandon

If they buy Ammo for the range from a remanufacturer then they probably get credit from the brass against what they purchase. It is generally accepted, though, that policing your own brass is OK. Unfortunately, when there is a lot of brass on the floor it can be very difficult to pick out your own.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Different ranges, different RO's equal different policies. I have experienced on some ranges you are expected to police your own brass and others that have a policy that if it hits the ground it becomes property of the range.   Do they have rules or policies posted anywhere on the range?  If not, I would ask.

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware of.  This was at the Armory last week.  They're a great place to shoot, even if expensive, but there was one range officer in particular who kept giving me looks.  I'm not aware of any rules, and I will pickup my own brass.  I made it a point to put other brass back. 

Brandon

As MP5 said, some ranges state that if the brass hits the ground it becomes their property. Bend of the River in Cookeville is that way. So the last time I was there several years ago, I really enjoyed shooting my revolvers that day. :)

Unless it says that they can stare all they want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I had an upleasant experience at the Armory over brass last year.  It seems picking it up was ok, but any bouncing forward of the firing line was understandably lost brass.  The problem came up when the SO repeatedly pushed me forward in the bay which forced more of the brass out of reach.  (I was forward of the line painted at the rear of the shooting area)  Not a cool thing to do while you're firing.  I decided to leave and haven't been back since.  The places I shoot now are mixed with some allowing pick up and others not.  I accept either policy depending on where I'm shooting and have more fun when it's clear what's expected.  As mentioned earlier, if it's not clear, asking can help avoid problems. 

As MP5 said, some ranges state that if the brass hits the ground it becomes their property. Bend of the River in Cookeville is that way. So the last time I was there several years ago, I really enjoyed shooting my revolvers that day. :)

Unless it says that they can stare all they want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's been years since I shot at Bend of the River but it's probably my favorite range that I've ever shot at.  Don't know if it is still the same but it used to be their policy that if you were a range member then you could pick up your brass there. 

It's been years since I shot at Bend of the River but it's probably my favorite range that I've ever shot at.  Don't know if it is still the same but it used to be their policy that if you were a range member then you could pick up your brass there. 

I would say if Charlie is still around that would be true.

• 1 month later...

Well, I feel as though I should update this thread... I was apparently very wrong about my interpretation of this guy in my last experience.  I was at the same range yesterday and the same range officer saw me picking up my brass, and asked me if I was reloading.  When I told him yes, he offered for me to use the range's equipment to pick it up!  I thought that was very nice of him and definitely felt like I should update this thread.  Not sure what the deal was the first time, I'm assuming either he had a headache or someone next to me was concerning him... haha!  

Brandon

I have had the RO at Bud's help collect my brass.  But policies do vary from range to range.  IMO Ranges need to make money by providing a safe place to shoot, selling ammo, guns, etc. and let people collect their own brass if they chose to do so.  Those that reload tend to show up at the ranges much more frequently because they generally shoot more.  Both parties benefit.

I was about to join a local indoor range a few years back. While the paperwork was being done for my wife and I, I walked over and looked out on the range where a couple of people were shooting. They had the place setup so that the brass would almost always go forward onto the range which was inaccessible. The guy said we were ready to sign the application and as I walked back to the counter I asked about the brass being thrown outwards so it couldn't be retrieved. He said "yeah, we keep all of the brass. We have a couple of places that buy it from us. I tore the application in two and said that was a deal breaker for me and we left. I haven't been back to that place for anything.

• Like 4

People were nice enough to stop shooting the further out I got to the brass. I think they all were yelling and trying to point at pieces near me but I couldn't really hear them with my ear protection in. Some were shaking their heads so I figure I'd leave that specific brass on the ground. when I got back to inside the shooting area, they all went about shooting again.

All kidding aside, I go to Range USA and they reload the brass that hits their ground but I saw one older fella that grabbed a step stool and was using it to reach out past the shooting area to sweep brass back towards him. Kinda risky move for a few pieces of brass imo. 

I won't shoot anywhere I can't recover my brass, and many indoor ranges don't allow going forward to recover brass. A few have rakes and brooms available to make it easier to get that forward brass, I can live with that. I also see many that don't allow brass scroungers, again I'm OK with that as long as they don't mind if your neighbor gives you his brass. But to tell you that all brass is theirs when they hit the ground is a bit presumptuous. If they sell you the ammo at a discount, I can see it, otherwise they can pound sand.

I won't shoot anywhere I can't recover my brass, and many indoor ranges don't allow going forward to recover brass. A few have rakes and brooms available to make it easier to get that forward brass, I can live with that. I also see many that don't allow brass scroungers, again I'm OK with that as long as they don't mind if your neighbor gives you his brass. But to tell you that all brass is theirs when they hit the ground is a bit presumptuous. If they sell you the ammo at a discount, I can see it, otherwise they can pound sand.

I agree. If it's your brass and you want it, you should be taking it home. For one thing, they are charging you to shoot there and then keeping all the brass. If I was shooting there, I would try to get my brass, and dare them to say something to me about it. They can do more than pound sand!

Edited by roverboy
I use the graco catch it mk2 at busy ranges or for uncommon brass I want to keep. The best 24.77 (delivered) I have spent in a while. The newer models have a improved rail mount. Overall a homemade look/feel but nice for the asking price. If interested I will post a pic with new mount. Obvious.... pistol needs a rail for this model.
On my recommend list
http://www.gracomodels.com/picatinny.html Edited by ohell
  • Like 1

Oh, the stories I could tell about the Volunteer Rifle and Pistol Club here in Knoxville. They had an agreement to give the Boy Scouts the brass to recycle. One of the RSO's would dig through the brass for himself then trade it for gun parts. I have watched them hold their vest pocket open to catch people's brass and they would have contests. So I painted the base of my 45 ACP with pink paint and went to the range. The RSO was stealing my brass so I confronted him. He told me to prove the brass was mine and I said they are pink. He looked in his hand then flipped his hand, dumping them back on the floor. That was one of the last times I went of my own free will.

I just went to Range USA yesterday and even though they reload and sell the ammo, it seems we can still collect our brass as a few were doing so yesterday. I believe I only asked what they did with fallen brass and never asked if ok to collect it, which Is a question I guess I shouldn't have worried myself with in the first place...