Const. Carry Bill brought up today

NRA has taken up "supporting" the bill, which means they will claim responsibility when it passes, but that is OK with me, as long as it passes.  (West Virginia Senate voted to override their feckless Governor's veto of their Constitutional Carry this morning, their House did earlier in the week, so they join the ranks).  NRA using the bill to "grade" legislators is a big deal in an election year.  The metric has changed.

We have the votes in the Senate Committee to get it to the floor, as its current Fiscal statement allows for the sponsor to send it directly to Calendar and Rules, bypassing Finance.

We hear someone is going to offer an amendment in the House sub, we are going to let it run if so, we will work it in Conference Committee.

For the first time, I actually feel we have a decent chance of passing this.  Representative Mike Carter (Chattanooga) is key, hoping he sees political reality.  Would much rather support friends than fight enemies.

• Like 2

I don't think business lost over people who carry not patronizing a business would make much difference.  Not enough people regularly carry. 

You would be surprised even a small percentage can have a big impact on the bottom line.  With that said even when I am not caring I don't go to places that are gun free believing it puts a target on my back.  

• Like 2

Today in the Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee, the essence of the "Most Conservative" legislature is distilled.

Will they undo the unconstitutional Jim Crow Law instituted in 1870 to disenfranchise from the ability to bear arms all but the Ruling Elite (sand taxation), or will they bow to the Establishment and continue via their "power by law" to deny that Right to the average person, and violate their Oath to:

"in all appointments, vote without favor, affection, partiality, or prejudice; and that I will not propose or assent to any bill, vote or resolution, which shall appear to me injurious to the people, or consent to any act or thing, whatever, that shall have a tendency to lessen or abridge their rights and privileges, as declared by the Constitution of this State."

Edited by Worriedman

Looks like the bill did not make it through the Senate Judiciary Committee.  http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB1483

Todd Gardenhire (pass) and John Stevens (No) went full "Establishment" on the bill.

Is actually a 4-4 with one abstention tie.  It could come back, depending just how bad certain members ot he Judiciary want to be successful in moving on up...

You expect that out of Overeby...

Kerry Roberts did a great job pushing back against the DOS hacks and TBI, Mark Green as well.

Edited by Worriedman

Unfortunately the no carry signs do have force of law.  This is something that badly needs to change here.

Now I am not the smartest tool in the shed, but you know what I think? I don't think criminals follow those laws? What kind of charge is it if you ignore one.

Unfortunately the no carry signs do have force of law.  This is something that badly needs to change here.

I agree.  in fact, I would rather see that change before carry without a permit.  If carry without a permit passes I believe that there is at least a chance that more places will post.  I also think it would be much more difficult to get the weight of law removed from the signs once carry without a permit was in place.

You can bet that if constitutional carry passes, you'll see more places stick no guns signs up.  People can say "Oh just don't do business there".  That's easy to say if you carry your gun to Wal Mart on the weekend, but when you carry daily and go to both private businesses and local government offices in downtown Memphis or Nashville, it will be a big pain.

It's unfortunate that the whole no gun sign law will not be fixed this session, even after changing the sign rules.  You would have thought that if the bill sponsors were going to change the sign rules that they could have gone ahead and canned the criminal penalty while they were at it but I guess that is too much trouble to add/subtract a few words from a piece of paper.

Edited by 300winmag

Looks like it got removed from the House after yesterdays failure to garner support in the Senate?

Voting results are in:

SB1483 by Green - SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE: 
Failed in Senate Judiciary Committee 3/8/2016 
Failed
          Ayes................................................4
          Noes................................................4
          Present and not voting...................1

Senators voting aye were: Roberts, Kelsey, Bowling, Bell -- 4.
          Senators voting no were: Stevens, Overbey, Kyle, Harris -- 4.
          Senators present and not voting were: Gardenhire -- 1.

Looks like it got removed from the House after yesterdays failure to garner support in the Senate?

Voting results are in:

SB1483 by Green - SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE: 
Failed in Senate Judiciary Committee 3/8/2016 
Failed
          Ayes................................................4
          Noes................................................4
          Present and not voting...................1

Senators voting aye were: Roberts, Kelsey, Bowling, Bell -- 4.
          Senators voting no were: Stevens, Overbey, Kyle, Harris -- 4.
          Senators present and not voting were: Gardenhire -- 1.

Well, glad to see my Senator voted aye, Kerry Roberts.

This super majority Republican legislature has done nothing but thrown a few crumbs our way as far as gun rights this past few years.  Those few crumbs were better than nothing because it honestly was very difficult to carry legally here up until 5-6 years ago when the restaurant bill and recently the park bill became law.

Kerry Roberts did a great job pushing back against the DOS hacks and TBI, Mark Green as well.

I disagree.  While his little speech was great for us, it didn't do anything to change minds and an emotional speech like that will never change an opinion.  The bill's sponsors needed to be better informed to fight back against the guests speaking and against Sen. Harris.  

I disagree.  While his little speech was great for us, it didn't do anything to change minds and an emotional speech like that will never change an opinion.  The bill's sponsors needed to be better informed to fight back against the guests speaking and against Sen. Harris.  

Kelsey had the stage stacked against us, there were those in the room who had the mental capacity and rhetoric to push back against Harris, Kelsey just let the State Police run, and called no one else to rebut, Green is guilty of that as well.  A Black man protectiung a Jim Crow law, does not get any weirder than that.

It was a done deal before the gavel rapped down to open the kabuki theater that is the Judiciary Committee. Kelsey needed to be able to vote for the bill,his aspirations to higher office more important than Stevens run to get re-elected (he has no primary opponent, yet...), simple vote swap.  Haslam did not want the bill passed, it did not pass.

CPAC just named TN legislature as "most conservative in the US".

- OS

They must have had mud in their eye when overlooking West Virginia, passed right to Work and Constitutional Carry, overriding their pusillanimous governor on both issues.

I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw "The Supremacy Clause trumps the 10th Amendment" Kelsey accepting that "award".

The Tennessee State Legislature might be in the top 25 most conservative.  Key word is might.  When it comes to the 2nd Amendment, they seem to be on the other side of the 25 most conservative legislative bodies.  and nothing will change until Haslam is gone.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

The Tennessee State Legislature might be in the top 25 most conservative.  Key word is might.  When it comes to the 2nd Amendment, they seem to be on the other side of the 25 most conservative legislative bodies.  and nothing will change until Haslam is gone.

What does Haslam have to do with the way the legislature votes?  His departments all have liaisons, but their influence pales in comparison to the private lobbying community.  A simple majority in both houses overrides his veto, and Republicans have supermajorities in both chambers.