9mm Carbines

CommsNBombs

In my neverending dilemma of wanting a rifle and also not wanting a rifle caliber I wanted some feedback on an affordable, but effective, 9mm "pistol"/PDW/Carbine.

This will be for plinking, and serve some role as a truck gun/HD.

I was looking at the POF MP5 and Zenith MP5 offerings - theyre a bit expensive, minus the Form 1 and HK parts id slap on em.

I was looking at AR9s, but have only heard bad things about their reliability. And I havent seen a rifle length one. In the best world Id get a 10.5" barrel and pin a Ares Breath muzzle brake on it.

That also brings me to a segway - anyone here that can machine a muzzle brake on a lathe or whatever? Those Ares Breaths are near 180 after shipping and tax.

Dont really like HiPoints - moreso because of the lack of modularity Id get out of an AR or even a MP5.

Any thing I miss? Thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I built mine from PSA parts and got into it for $550.00 including magazines. Run's like a champ. Mine is a 10.5" but my Buddy is running a 16".
These are both running Colt SMG magazines. DMARK, a member on this site also has some nice AR 9's running Colt mags.

That being said, in my circle all of my Compadre's bitch about their carbines that are running a Glock magazine setup. With failures to feed and battery issues.
I'm not talking about reading on the internet issues.I have owned two Hi Point 9 carbines and they were great. I just wished someone would make a great hi cap magazine.
  • Like 2
  • Admin Team
I've got a Glock mag DDLES/QC10 carbine in 9mm that's been dead reliable. Use good parts. Follow the instructions. Use some lube. Mine's got a barrel just shy of 10" since my suppressor won't fit under my preferred KAC URX rail. I've had zero issues with the bolt hold open. That said, it's not an ideal design.

I've been running a Sig MPX, too. Had that been available with the folding pistol brace when I built the AR pattern carbine, I would have just bought the MPX. It's a great platform.
Affordable = HiPoint in this category. Got one, TS stock, like it, never failed, ran it in a one day rifle class with Randy, $30 BSA red dot works well with low recoil, with a front bi pod fun plinking for 50-100 yards, has rails, cheap (ish) to shoot.

Longevity? Who knows, it's not a main battle rifle and as a home defense/plunked are you really going to wear it out?

10 round mags make for a lot of reloads...

Most failures occur due to the inconsistent specs on the mag lips, a quick Google search cab explain better than I.

That nutnfancy YouTube guy did a pretty complimentary video Edited by Gotthegoods
I had a Marlin camp 9 a few years ago and hated myself for selling it ever since.

I recently snagged another from one of our fine upstanding members here and it will NOT be leaving. They're quite accurate. I shot a fist sized 30 round group at 25 yards while zeroing in the scope.

I will say they need some mild attention. A stiffer spring from Wolf and get that brittle factory buffer out.
Took me the better part of an hour, but took that godawful magazine disconnect out too.

Seriously. Give the Camp 9 a bit of consideration. They're great rifles.
  • Like 3

I pondered the AR-9 issue for a really long time, probably a year or so.  Nothing wrong with them, but I just went balls out and got the zenith 5rs instead.  I don't do long range shooting or hunting & if it ever arose there's an ar10 in the closet.  My interest lies with pistol caliber guns, whether they be pistols or carbines.

Figured that I wasn't sure on the AR-9, but was 100% sure on an MP5, so why not save a few extra $ and get exactly what you want.  That MP5 will never leave the collection.

Well, mines built on a QC10 lower and sports a pinned 14.5" barrel for the time being. Form 1 will be sent off here pretty soon I think. Runs great, although I admit I had a problem with the BHO in the beginning. It's my favorite firearm to shoot by far right now. I also have a Hipoint 9mm carbine that's great for shooting cheap steel case and not cleaning :)
Pretty crappy picture f7a33bbe563d7d100c2bae0e93e64502.jpg

• Like 2
If I do an AR9 itll be on a PSA mag block using the SMG style mags. Rather keep it away from using my Glock mags.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the thing behind ramped bolts or non ramped? And can I use regular buffers and lowers?

I want to make one for myself and my wife - staying under $600 for both if possible.

As far as the Zenith I think it would look super funky engraved for a Form 1 - Id stick with a pistol brace and using approved ATF shouldering (cheeking?) methods.

As far as the Zenith I think it would look super funky engraved for a Form 1 - Id stick with a pistol brace and using approved ATF shouldering (cheeking?) methods.

There are plenty of plenty of places to put it, lots of people already been to that circus and posted ideas online.  My thing was that I wanted the specific HK sliding stock that came on the 94's, I hate to say "period correct" cause it sounds like some kind of BS renascence actor's statement about his scepter lol.

Will add though, probably 10 years ago or more, my dad had one of those cheap hipoint carbines and it shot amazingly well.  Only having 10 rounds sucked though.  Looks like they make 15 rounders now, couldn't say anything on reliability though

Edited by Sam1

If I do an AR9 itll be on a PSA mag block using the SMG style mags. Rather keep it away from using my Glock mags.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the thing behind ramped bolts or non ramped? And can I use regular buffers and lowers?

Ramped bolts allow you to run a normal mil spec hammer. Non ramped and you will have to buy a 9mm hammer. As far as using a carbine buffer and spring, I wouldn't. As a reference point, my QC10 bolt has removable weight and in total it weighs 15oz. My buffer weighs 8.5oz and is extended length to keep from having to run a spacer or quarters. I also run a Wolff extra power buffer spring. I can't imagine what one would feel like with a carbine buffer and normal carbine spring, but I imagine it would be much more rough than mine and it seems like it would beat itself up. I know if you run a carbine buffer of any weight you need quarters behind the spring or a spacer to keep the buffer from gaining enough speed to break off the bolt catch

As far as lowers, if you're going to run the PSA mag block I don't see why you can't run any in spec lower. Edited by KKing

http://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/asrx-cplt-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.htm

clear1x1.gif   clear1x1.gif

"The Aero Survival Rifle, famous for its removable barrel and easily convertible caliber changes, is a winner in home defense, backpacking, boating, and back country flying. The Aero Survival RifleTM is available in hard black anodize, two variegated finishes (pink, and green), OD green, and tan. The ASR can be ordered in 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 calibers and the newly available 10mm and .357SIG. The ASR is also coming soon is .22 LR, .22 MAG, and .17 HMR. The ASR is equipped with a 4x scope, quick change barrel, and AR collapsible stock. The Aero Survival Pistol is also available in similar colors and calibers. GLOCK MAGS!"

I own several 9mm carbines.  The Marlin Camp 9, the Beretta Storm and the TNW Aero.  They are all a blast to shoot, but the Storm is by far the easiest to clean.... I just think it's damn ugly.
Edited by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Like 2
As stated you can run a mil spec hammer with a RAMPED bolt. I run a steel buffer from PSA made for a AR9. I'm also running a Rock River two stage fire control group. As stated any Mil Spec lower will work with the mag block you mentioned

Here's mine. Uzi with no upgrades.  I've been thinking about mounting a red dot and putting a ambi charging handle on it but it doesn't serve that much of a role to me. Definitely heavy but almost no recoil.  Not really that modular.  I've also got the Kel-Tec Sub 2000.  I like it but I wouldn't say buy it for your intended use.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150404_205245_zpsq5s34gtx_edit_1428195506982_zpsw2owbmt9.jpg.html]20150404_205245_zpsq5s34gtx_edit_1428195[/URL]

You can build these up pretty easily like I did with mine but you can buy one just as cheaply.

• Like 1

I really wanted an Uzi but the wife absolutely abhors it lol.

How much did it cost to build? I know we were talking about it when we met up. I was looking at UC9s at the time

I think I've got $600-700 roughly in it. A redeeming feature is that I can fit it in a briefcase lol.  That's how I take it to the range and it turns heads.