9mm Carbines

CommsNBombs

I have a Gen 2 Kel-Tec Sub2000 that takes Glock 17 mags. I love it, fun to shoot and folds in half for compact storage.

I also have one of these ^^^^.  Did a range test with about 12 different types of ammo...mostly 147's, but also 115, 124, etc.  It ran 100% and was fun to shoot.  Love the folding ability also.... and the glock mags...ran it with Glock, magpul and glock 33 rounders...never a problem.  Plus it's already factory threaded.  Simple to take down and clean. IMO, here are 2 things that are downsides.  1- you need an angle mount for an optic to retain the fold-in-half ability, or else it gets hit when you close it.... minor, but worth mentioning.  2- availability.... keltec only makes so many, and they usually disappear fast.  40 cal's are available, but 9's are getting hard to find at a good price. (I paid 450 for mine, now they're on GB for 700-1000)  If you want to shoot mine, just let me know.

R1100R, on 19 Jan 2016 - 6:35 PM, said:
..... DMARK, a member on this site also has some nice AR 9's running Colt mags.

Ohhhhhh....., Yeaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

They Run Just Fine!   :cool:  

33tpc74.jpg

Fortunate to have a few ARs in 9mm.  The SBRs (5.5 and 10.5 inch) are a blast to shoot.  They remind me of the old carnival BB guns they shoot so fast and point so quick.

I also have one with a 16 inch barrel.  That length is overkill as far as ballistics go, but one of the odd affects is that the rifle isn't as loud because of the long barrel sending all of the noise down range.  I was running it at a steel match in Dickson and Hognut was having to hold the shot timer right next to the upper to pick up the shots.  When shooting paper out at 50 yards, you can hear the bullets smacking the targets.

I do run dedicated 9mm lowers and have found that the cheaper ASC Colt pattern mags work just fine.  Like what R1100R has posted, Glock based 9mm ARs seem to have some issues at times, the biggest being the lack of dependable last shot bolt hold open .    

Another nice thing about Blow-Back 9mm ARs is that they will shoot just about any ammo you feed them.  Brass, Steel, Aluminum case - - - They don't care just so long as you have the correct 9mm Heavy Buffer in them.

Too Bad 173rdABN is locked down attending the Police Academy right now otherwise he would be posting his love of MP5s.  Of course his MP5s have the "Happy Switch!"  :dirty:  

• Like 1

I've always liked the idea of a Kel-Tec that takes Glock 9mm Mags.

I have no idea if they are worth what they go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are really nice, but they are hard to find it seems and the price has jacked up. CDNN has them every now and then.

Im leaning more towards AR9s now. I really hate the look of a pistol brace or the Blade, so Ill probably stick with 16" barrels.

As far as Mag Blocks, which seem to be the most expensive thing - should I stick with PSA? Or go for a Hahn or RRA? I thought the CMMG was cost prohibitive but not so much looking at the cost of 2 Mag Blocks with 2 Anderson Lowers.

Or is it better just to go for the fully assembled MOE lowers from PSA for $249 and call it a day? If I could find cheap uppers on sale that practically keeps me on budget

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Im leaning more towards AR9s now. I really hate the look of a pistol brace or the Blade, so Ill probably stick with 16" barrels.

As far as Mag Blocks, which seem to be the most expensive thing - should I stick with PSA? Or go for a Hahn or RRA? I thought the CMMG was cost prohibitive but not so much looking at the cost of 2 Mag Blocks with 2 Anderson Lowers.

Or is it better just to go for the fully assembled MOE lowers from PSA for $249 and call it a day? If I could find cheap uppers on sale that practically keeps me on budget

If you are going to get a mag block get the Hahn or the Spikes/AMM blocks. After TONS of research these come out on top over and over again.

What about the Quarter Circle 10 stuff? From the reviews I've read, it looks like they do well with Glock mags. I'm interested in them myself but would like to here from some on here.

Look back through this thread, several of us with them have already posted.
  • Like 2

Not in the same league as the Circle 10 component guns, but I bought one of the new PSA 9mm"Hybrid" rifles.

This is the model that  has the lower designed to use the standard Glock mags withought the mag block.

I've only had 2 range sessions with it so far, but I'm very pleased with the rifle and its capabilities.

Roughly 600 rounds thru it so far, using all the 15+ round Glock branded mag I have and some KCI mags.

I used an assortment of 115 grain that I had lying around, everything from WWB, Remington, Freedom, and some loose I just don't have any idea of what they were.

Not one issue with the gun in all of it. I had one round of Freedom Munitions 9 that didn't fire. It seemed to have had a good stike on the primer, it was normally centered and well defined. I loaded it on the top of the next mag and it did fire then.

So far, I've added Troy Battle Sights, an Eotech 551,  a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, a skeletonized stock we found, and a vertical fore grip, which I may change to an afg model.  Later, for a better weight balance, I'm thing of a UBR stock change. But getting a bit off track.

I went with this after shooting one, and as I said have been very pleased with the decision.

As you are expecting to hear, it does not hold open on the last shot. That's about the only negative I can come up with.

Sam(Hoster) and his crew say that later on they might look into that and see what they can come up with.

EDIT  For KKing, I got the ETS mags in yesterday, I hope to try them out this week. Sure is strange looking when you get them in hand.

I also plan on getting a few of the SMG mags to try.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
Here's a cold war option which I have been debating since I have a CZ handgun to go with it.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/surplus-handguns/pps-43c-pistol.html

SBR it, mount a modern site and I think it would be a bad-@$$ PDW.

downside is the hollow points ain't cheap and modern ball is about .50 a rattle

The 10" barrel is reported to be the optimal length for the 7.62x25, but I can't cite the source
My main reason for wanting a 9mm carbine is to keep costs down.

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Dillon 1050 - its 1700 with all the bells and whistles for 556 but the components are so much more expensive.

Id rather spend that on 2 solid AR9s or MP5s rather and components.

Running numbers now to see what will be cheaper as far as a lower

• Like 2

My main reason for wanting a 9mm carbine is to keep costs down.

I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Dillon 1050 - its 1700 with all the bells and whistles for 556 but the components are so much more expensive.

Id rather spend that on 2 solid AR9s or MP5s rather and components.

Running numbers now to see what will be cheaper as far as a lower

Same here, although I don't reload yet. I enjoy shooting a AR platform for less money, all my controls being identical, and the ability to shoot steel at a closer distance than .223. I don't shoot steel at closer than 100 yards with .223, although I've seen it done

CommsNBombs, you might want to consider tricking out a Kel Tec Sub2000. Here's a picture of one with an AR adjustable stock someone built. The details on how to do it are over at THEKTOG at the thread. http://www.thektog.org/forum/attachments/f85/15416d1399842843-ar-stock-sub-2000-imageuploadedbykel-tec-forum1399842841.360178.jpg

PRO: Folds really small. Glock mags or your choice of other mags. Kel Tec is pretty good about customer service. Should be able to get one for $499 plus TICS taxes, etc. Active mod/enthusiast forum at www.theKTOG.org

CON: Might need to polish parts to get it smooth shooting. (This is covered in the forum.) Not good looking. Front sight is fragile on the Gen 1 (fixed on the Gen 2). Must side mount optics to retain full folding ability.

15416d1399842843-ar-stock-sub-2000-image

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

I know I'm late to this thread, but here goes. I have an AR9. I traded one of my 556 uppers for it. It is the most fun and used gun in my safe now. I reload 9's on my Dillon 550 and use a 124gr cast boolit that I cast myself. So it costs very little to keep it fed. It has been 100% reliable with my reloads. It is the Colt mag version using a mag block in a standard AR lower. Bolt does not lock back on last round, although the block is set up to. I have tried using a modified Uzi mag, but it has not been all that reliable.

I am going to get a Lula Loader for the Colt mags though.