HK VP9 OR WALTHER PPQ - WHICH ONE?

lshel

I've handled and fired both guns and both have an excellent trigger and good ergonomics. I believe the PPQ trigger was slightly better. Both guns tore-up the 10-ring at 25 feet. The PPQ has a polymer front and rear sight with the rear being adjustable for windage. It took several adjustment to PPQ rear sight to move the shoots right to center on 10 ring. The VP9 has metal front and rear sights in lateral dovetail and dots are luminous.

The PPQ has shorter barrel and grip length but both guns have 15 rd mags. It looks like the VP9 could have added two extra rounds and hold 17 rds based on it's extra length.

The PPQ sales about $50 less than the VP9.

Dimensions: MANUFACTURER'S DATA

$619             $575 BUD'S PRICE

VP9              PPQ

OA LENGTH         7.3"              7.1"

WIDTH                  1.3"              1.3"

HEIGHT                 5.4"              5.3"

BARREL LGT        4.1"              4.0"

LNG BT SIGHTS    6.4"              6.2"

WT UNLOADED    25.6OZ       24.5OZ

TRIGGER PULL      5.4#            5.6#

TRIGGER TRAVEL 0.24"           0.40"

RESET                    0.12"           0.10"

RIFLING                 RH POLY     LANDS/GROOVES

LGT OF TWIST       9.8"             10.0"

Which of these do you have or would you buy? I like both but financially could only own one.

Edited by lshel
I've shot the PPQ and was mucho impressed with it. It's ugly, but crazy comfy, and the VP kinda seems to ape the same grip design. I was also super impressed with the trigger on the PPQ.

I've held the VP a lot but not shot it. If I had to pick one based on my own experience with both, it would be the PPQ. That may change with shooting the VP, but I kinda doubt it. The PPQ is on my short list. The VP is not on my list.
  • Like 3

I have the same question. I've had sseveral PPQ's (M1's) and I don't think there is a better factory trigger out there or better ergonomic pistol available. I like them even better than the M&P's with APEX triggers. The HK looks and feels a lot like the PPQ, but I can't justify switching ATM. I just don't see any positive trade off yet.

• Like 1

Personal opinion here. I have held and shot both.

I prefer the PPQ Model 2, both in 9 and 45. I thought it held and felt better for me. And I do believe the trigger better. But that seems to be subjective on these two as they are similar.

As far as looks, I really prefer the PPQ, especially with the slide shape. lol It did take a little getting used to though. 

I own the VP9 and love it. I'll have a PPQ M1 soon though. I prefer the VP9 feel, but I enjoy both. The triggers are a wash for me.

I'm sure you know it, but for others...the mags are different between the M1 and M2 PPQ. The will not interchange.

I've only handled the VP9 at a gun store. The only thing I really hated was the mag release. I actually got to shoot a co-worker's PPQ and it was sweet.

I don't see how the H&K could shoot any better to be honest, so the tie goes to the Walther, IMO. This is based largely on the fact that the PPQ's still awkward mag release was much easier to press. I still don't like that paddle style mag releases, but it's better than the one on the H&K.

The PPQ M2 has a standard button release which is reversible. This is an advantage over the HK paddle at trigger guard. I still like both.

I'm a HK handgun fan. I might just have to buy both eventually and then sell some other handguns setting in safe. 

Edited by lshel