Buying My First 1911 - Kimber Ultra Carry II

whj812

Hello All,

I am buying my first 1911 Pistol a Kimber Ultra Carry II.  I want to add to my rotation of carry guns and love the way my friends Ultra Crimson Carry shoots and feels.  Got my gun for a good price and cant wait to go pick it up!!!

I have limited experience with the 1911 platform, mainly training on striker fired pistols like the Glocks, and I carry a Ruger LCR 357.  I have however fired a full size 1911 and my friends Ultra Crimson Carry multiple occasions, BUT i have never carried one.

I am looking for input from people who carry a 1911 platformed pistol on how they typically carry or any other random info you want to provide/talk about.

whj812

I have an ingrained disdain for Kimbers...I had 3 critical factory failures on my Desert Warrior and was met with sheer stupidity from Kimbers CS dept

Granted - Im told they do make solid pieces now, just not worth it for the money.

Ive tried carrying a 1911 before - I only have full sized ones now. I dont like it because of the safety digging into my kidneys.

It does wear well being a single stack - but being slightly heavier than say a Glock get a good holster and a good gun belt.

Different style of carry too if you carry with a hot tube (which you should). Many people debate whether to carry it with the safety on, hammer half cocked or full...many cite the palm safety eliminating the need for the thumb safety.

End of the day practice drawing how you will carry - start with snap caps or primed brass, watched a dude shoot himself in the thigh holster drawing a 1911 in Pennsylvania.

My $.02

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs

1.  Practice working the thumb safety... Practice working the thumb safety, and while your practicing that thumb safety, practice working the thumb safety.  

2.  Get a good sturdy belt and a good "leather" OWB or IWB, because 1911's are just that damn special!!!!! :usa: 

• Like 1

I have carried a Combat Commander for years. Comm's advice about the weight requiring a good holster and belt is true. The belt is particularly important. I carry in Condition 1 (Cocked & Locked) with no worries but practice is IMPORTANT the safety can NOT come off until you are on the target. Practice this and it will not slow you down.

If at all possible buy a holster with a high sweat guard. It will protect your body from the safety and the hammer/ It also encourages you to keep the thumb off the safety until you have cleared the holster.

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Congrats

• Like 1

Kimbers have indeed gotten some criticism in some forums.  Mine is a full size Custom Royal bought new in Jan 1998 but made in 1997.  A real beauty.  I cannot recall a FTF or any other issue really.  However I only put 500-600 rounds through it and it then it lived in the locked case with occasional cleanings until I took my HCP class, then back in the case.. I carry A Kahr now (also a j-frame) so I have no real bias.  I'm betting you love it and it will perform well, but let us know!

Sadly I think that some 1911s are rushed out the door and with Kimber it seems like they try to make every one a match gun with right fit on everything. It's simply not needed. I would gladly go into battle with my Commander as I haven't had a failure of any kind in years that wasn't a handload issue.

If you spend that much on a weapon it should be 100% no excuses. Some have had customer service issues with a variety of brands. None of them are acceptable. If you have a problem do what you can to hold them accountable and make it right. It's the only way they learn.

FWIW I have a friend with a crimson carry that has been flawless. He's happy with it.
  • Admin Team

Officer (ultra)  sized 1911's are by their very nature going to be more picky.  Kimber suffers the scorn of the internetz and forums everywhere, but you'll likely do fine with one.

I'd recommend purchasing it from a reputable shop that'll take care of you as a customer if you have any problems.

• Like 1

Kimbers are not "bad" but they focus on making a *beautiful* exterior on an at-best slighty above average pistol and charging you out the wazoo for it.  They shoot pretty good, but they just strike me as showpieces more than serious.   I advise you look into it, and then if you still love the kimber, buy it.  Its fine, they shoot well enough.  I just prefer my value isn't spent on cosmetics.

I carry a micro 9mm "1911" .. the sig 938 ... in my pocket.  So I can't help much there, but I have a lot of range time on a 1911 full sized.  

The Kimber 3 inch model is one of the more reliable smaller 1911s. It is a hand full to shoot though.

Kimber makes a good 1911. They made nice 1911s when no one else really was. You could say they are responsible for popularity of the 1911 today. They've just now started lowering their prices some. I think that is the cause of most of the disdain.
I've got an ultra compact raptor, absolutely fantastic 1911 and I would trust it for carry but have found the extended safety to stick out too far for a super tuck (which I prefer) I was worried the pressure against the holster would bend/break it. Just didn't want to risk it.

The galco iwb if fine though, just not as much support. Discipline and practice as those above have stated are required with the platform, it's a hair trigger when ready to go and adrenalin can be a huge factor when it comes to it. Edited by Ugly
Thanks for all the input! I plan on purchasing a high quality custom holster from a guy I know that makes them. I also have read about some of the horror stories with ftf on the 3in 1911 guns. The ramped bull barrel they put in the ultras should help and it is supposed to have the shortest reset of any other 3 in that is supposed to also help. We shall see... I got the gun on a sale but haven't fully paid for it yet, just put it in a layaway since I couldn't let the deal get away. I've wanted one for 5 years now.

It should be a nice carry weapon for you.  Most guns prefer certain ammo, so check around and see what your gun likes.  I have seen many weapons that PREFER one type of ammo and HATE other ammo.  Don't buy that ammo, no matter how great the deal.  Many are jaded against Kimber because they spend SO much on advertising talking about how great they are.  They are above average weapons for WAY above average price.  I would not buy one for the retail prices but if you got a great deal, then good buy.  Most that I know that carry all the time have several weapons that they carry depending on their situation and wardrobe.  One obviously cannot carry the same weapon wearing shorts and a tucked in golf shirt that they can carry wearing long pants and a jacket.  Here is hoping that the Kimber finds a place in your wardrobe.

I also have an UCII for carry. I carry it IWB with a Galco leather holster. I will say, get some Wilson Combat mags. The only issues I have ever had with it have been with the Kimber mags, but I am pretty sure I caused that one when cleaning it, so take even that with a grain of salt. I also splurged for a pair of Hogue rubber grips to make it more comfortable to shoot.

I'm sorry to add more rain on your parade, but I wouldn't have a Kimber. In my opinion they are vastly over rated and over priced. Aside from normal range shooting, I also shoot IDPA. Over the years I've seen far more Kimbers choke than any other brand of 1911.

I'm also not a huge fan of the compact 1911s  no matter who makes them. It seems that the 1911 platform simply does not like to have barrels shorter than 4". They are mostly a malfunction waiting to happen. Granted, some can be very reliable up to 95% of the time. But are you willing to risk your life in hope that the remaining 5% doesn't pop up at an inconvenient moment? I own a very nice Springfield Ultra-Compact which functions just fine almost all the time. But I won't carry it because just every now and then it will jam. Maybe once out of 500 rounds. But that's still too much for me to totally trust. And some aren't nearly that reliable.

Finally, I believe the 1911 is the finest combat/defensive handgun ever made. However, I'm also the first to say that its not for everybody. If you are going to carry a 1911, you MUST be willing to put in the time and practice necessary to make releasing the thumb safety on the draw a completely automatic motion which requires absolutely no thought on your part.  Anything less and you're dead.

I'm a fan of 1911s, I'm glad I scored a deal on a Kimber, I doubt I'd pay for the name.
I recently bought a few sizes of Rock Islands, they hang with the Gold-Match at 40'.

They're made to carry cocked and locked. I have a few series 70s; I prefer them, it may be the reason they hang with the Kimber. For those with the '70, always remember they can't be dropped nor bumped hard.

I like leather pancake holsters, they conceal fairly well, a paddle or duty holster can be covered good enough, and most of them are a little more comfortable.

I ride an older Goldwing motorcycle, it weighs 1,000lbs. It's a work-out to get that thing to a highway, but once you do, it's such a pay-off.
That's the same way I feel about a 4lb 1911. It's hard to get used to carrying so much weight on my belt, but once you put it on target and fire a few rounds, it pays-off, and a bonus to be able to stay on target at a distance.

I'd like to find a deal on a light weight 1911, I'd hate to lighten my pocket too much.

Officer (ultra)  sized 1911's are by their very nature going to be more picky.  Kimber suffers the scorn of the internetz and forums everywhere, but you'll likely do fine with one.

I'd recommend purchasing it from a reputable shop that'll take care of you as a customer if you have any problems.

I've often times wonder how much of the hate comes from "my gun was unreliable" (because I had no clue what I was doing and got a picky flavor of 1911 to start with) vs "The gun was a lemon because of X, Y and Z reasons with evidence".  

I personally have had 5 Kimbers over the years and currently have 2 of them. Only had 2 issues...1) they like to be oiled after sitting in the safe for a while   and 2) My 45 didn't like brass that had been on a moon clip. That was a good jam on the extractor and hard to clear on the clock!

A 1911 shouldn't be picky, period. I've spent a long time on the bench building and working on 1911's and they can be ultra reliable. There is no reason that any quality pistol should be picky. It's been a long time since I was working as a gunsmith and it was back when Kimber only made rifles in Oregon... But I saw plenty of Auto Ordinance, Fedral Ordinance, etc economy grade 1911's that were 99.99% reliable. No they didn't shoot 2" at 25 yds but they were very effective weapons. I see no reason to buy a $1000 gun and accept it being picky about ammo that is within specs, ever.

The short barreled guns can be hard on recoil springs its a function of the trade off of slide mass vs spring force. They are also outside the original design specs. They can work well but they will need a bit more maintenance.

It is interesting to me that I now find that Rock City has a better reliability reputation than Kimber. Why? I haven't examined any of the guns except a Kimber Crimson Cary that belongs to a friend. It is a well fitted gun and performs flawlessly when fed good ammo. I think but can't prove that there is a desire for highly finished 1911's as they are good looking guns. When the effort goes in to beauty rather than function it's not helpful in a fight. I also think there are a lot of guys feeding the guns less than first quality ammo and the results are predictable.

The only 1911's that used to leave my shop without being as reliable as I could make them were specialized bulls eye guns. Those guys were paying for accuracy over reliability. If you have a failure figure out why. Don't blame the gun or the ammo, look for the reason. troubleshoot the problem to find the issue. Spiffy had an issue with brass from moon clips causing failures. That probably took a little time to figure out but he made the effort.

Hold the manufacturer accountable for problems but also look at other possibility's for the failures. The 1911 is a great design and well proven for now over 100 years. did all 1911's suddenly become crap? I don;t think so. but it's easier to point a finger and say brand X or design Y is the issue as opposed to looking for the real cause of the problem...

Rant off.

• Like 1

So I went and picked up the Ultra Carry 2 over the weekend.  I went out on Sunday and put 100 rounds through it.  On the first Magazine I had a FTF on the last round in the mag.  After that I haven't had an issue.  I plan on putting it through another couple hundred shots before I start carrying it.  Its time to get used to it as well, coming from primarily revolver carry for the past 6 years, this is alot different.  The Gun is now with the person that is making my holster and I cant wait to get it back with the custom made holster!

Thanks for all the input guys!!  Excited to finally have one in my stable!!

• Like 2