SNOW!!

Mwhiskey

I'm was getting things stirred up here this morning, and decided to take a look outside.  Peeked through the window and all I could see was white!  It's absoultly pouring the snow here!  I'm over it already, and cant wait until it's Spring so I can start working in my garden.

• Like 3
I've got tire chains laying in the floor board of the truck. I've got work tonight, as well as full twelve hour shifts Saturday and Sunday. Aisin Automotive casting is a big believer in profit over people. Hopefully it doesn't get to bad down this way.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 1

Can someone give me an update on road conditions in Chattanooga and Knoxville

Knox, all the snow from Tue/Wed gone from roads, looks like no more accumulation possible till 9-10 tonight, above freezing till then.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I've spent 50+ years in 'big snow' country - we'll get thru this! :)
The problem is the drivers, not the snow.
. . . . well, there is a lack of adequate plows and salt trucks . . .

The hills play a big part too. Some of my northern family can't believe I leave my house when it snows because of the hills.
  • Like 2
Clarksville got 2" of ice last night and now its pouring snow

Supposed to get about 8-10" now, which in New York City standards is about a 30 min delay.

I love the snow, I love doing donuts in it while chevy driving plebs stare in hopelessness

I do not trust other drivers. Especially soldiers who PCSed here with their rice burning crotch rocket import cars

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk Edited by CommsNBombs

I've got tire chains laying in the floor board of the truck. I've got work tonight, as well as full twelve hour shifts Saturday and Sunday. Aisin Automotive casting is a big believer in profit over people. Hopefully it doesn't get to bad down this way.

I know you're more of a traditional kind guy, but have you seen the new rubber chains (for lack of a better term)?  I thought they were pretty interesting - they appear to work great in snow but I would think they would get torn up off-road in the mud.

Just wet here.  Doesn't look like the temp will drop below freezing until this evening some time. 

Been there, lived through that grind.  I decided fairly quickly that if I wasn't going to make enough money that day to repair the  damage my vehicle might incur trying to get there and back, I just stayed home. 

Company I work for does work for Aisin.

It's snowing in Joelton. I'm not afraid of myself driving, I'm another guy from the North, a little snow on the ground is fine. It's amazing the people down here that don't know how to drive though. I'm not gonna risk my vehicle and safety because of others that can't drive in this stuff. Coffee and sitting by the window looking into the snow covered woods is a perfect Friday morning.
  • Like 1
It coming down really hard in Gallatin. I believe they finally got one right. I believe it wasn't supposed to stick until this afternoon and its sticking on the roads here. I wouldn't be shocked if we end up with 6+ inches which factoring the northern/southern snow conversion chart puts this as the equivalent of ten feet in The North. Stay safe.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Like 1

Clarksville got 2" of ice last night and now its pouring snow

Supposed to get about 8-10" now, which in New York City standards is about a 30 min delay.

I love the snow, I love doing donuts in it while chevy driving plebs stare in hopelessness

I do not trust other drivers. Especially soldiers who PCSed here with their rice burning crotch rocket import cars

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The problem with Clarksville isn't so much the drivers as it is the roads not being prepped and not having enough plows.  I dealt with many winters up there, and I wouldn't drive on it.  Just a few years ago a storm hit just as I was leaving work.  It should have been a 10 minute drive home but it took an hour.  I witnessed somewhere over 2 dozen accidents on the way home, and probably as many cars stuck in the median after losing control.  The issue was it rained, then snowed and the roads weren't treated. 

I don't care where you come from or what you drive, the laws of physics still applies.  I'm from Florida, but drove plenty in places where they get a lot more snow, such as Michigan.  I took my southern ass out driving after getting at least a foot of snow.  No problem at all.  In most parts of Tennessee, however, the roads don't get pre-treated and there aren't enough plows.  This is why it shuts everything down.  It's not that people are just all stupid.  I'll add, some of those wrecks were idiots in 4wd's, who were driving like a**holes because they thought everyone was stupid and their 4wd has some kind of magical powers which nullify the laws of physics.  It don't matter if you're in a 4wd or not; when you're on ice you are not in control, and you can't stop any quicker than anyone else.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 3

The problem with Clarksville isn't so much the drivers as it is the roads not being prepped and not having enough plows. I dealt with many winters up there, and I wouldn't drive on it. Just a few years ago a storm hit just as I was leaving work. It should have been a 10 minute drive home but it took an hour. I witnessed somewhere over 2 dozen accidents on the way home, and probably as many cars stuck in the median after losing control. The issue was it rained, then snowed and the roads weren't treated.

I don't care where you come from or what you drive, the laws of physics still applies. I'm from Florida, but drove plenty in places where they get a lot more snow, such as Michigan. I took my southern ass out driving after getting at least a foot of snow. No problem at all. In most parts of Tennessee, however, the roads don't get pre-treated and there aren't enough plows. This is why it shuts everything down. It's not that people are just all stupid. I'll add, some of those wrecks were idiots in 4wd's, who were driving like a**holes because they thought everyone was stupid and their 4wd has some kind of magical powers which nullify the laws of physics. It don't matter if you're in a 4wd or not; when you're on ice you are not in control, and you can't stop any quicker than anyone else.

Like I tell all my little privates and LTs - four wheel drive doesnt mean four wheel stop.

I see meatheads roll their trucks all the time here, as well as guys bottom out their ricers.

Its more confidence than anything else.

Still dont trust anyone else

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Particularly out West truckers started using autosocks http://www.autosock.us instead of chains. Easier on the back for sure. It does look a bit strange, but they all say it's better than chains even on ice. There is a speed limit, and no dry pavement or they melt but it may be an option for some.

As a upstate (almost canada) to TN transplant the way snow is handled here is different for sure, but it also doesn't stick until mid april! I'll take the inconvenience
  • Like 1