This snow should help preppers!!

Hi all, hope you stay safe and warm with this ugly weather. This may help any preppers to see what they may have needed and didn't have. I have been snow bound here just 10 miles south of Ky. border and was planning on going into work this morning as our country road has been ice for 2 days. Well we are low on bottled water, but pretty good on food. We shall see when this is over how we did.

I am by no means a prepspert, but since I've been making a concerted effort for the last year or so, it was odd this morning for me, in a good way.

I drove in to work in Nashville this morning at 6:30. I decided to leave at 7 to head back home, even though the company didn't officially shut down. (They did an hour later, of course.) I decided to stop by Kroger because I wanted to make a big pot of chili, and didn't want to thaw the beef in the freezer. I say it was odd because I was only shopping for niceties, not necessities. It was a very comforting feeling to not be stressed about food or warmth for the short future.

I know this is nothing, just a short snowpocalypse, but having plans and food in place is nice. :-)
  • Like 1

Hi all, hope you stay safe and warm with this ugly weather. This may help any preppers to see what they may have needed and didn't have. I have been snow bound here just 10 miles south of Ky. border and was planning on going into work this morning as our country road has been ice for 2 days. Well we are low on bottled water, but pretty good on food. We shall see when this is over how we did.

This would be a good time to get your Berkey filter out and filter some snow water. If you drink a lot of bottled water it will pay for itself in no time...

Mark

Good morning all. Well we have 11.5 inches of snow and it is still snowing. The power went off at 12:30 and with ashley wood heater we managed to maintain 60 degrees inside with 22 outside. We have had some fails, my buddy propane heater won't stay lit, out propane coleman stove won't work. We made coffee with the little pocket propane stove like the hikers use, it works like a champ. The power came back on at 8:15 and we hope it stays on. Hope everyone stays warm and safe. There will be some additions to the preps when this is over.

• Like 1
I'm curious about the mr buddy heater. Is it older? Do you think it was the thermocouple that failed? We have a couple and have only run them a few times but they seem to work well.

I can't wait till we build our house next year. We are going to get a wood stove for it. I would like a wood boiler but I don't think we can justify the expense for the short heating season we have...

Mark
I used this recent snow storm to build some political capita with the wife. After I had expressed how relaxed all the preps made me feel I showed her pictures of grocery stores that had been ransacked by people that don't prep. Then we talked about just in time inventory. Then we talked about what would happen when people started to run out of what they had been able to buy at the store right before the storm. I think she is much more on board with prepping now.

Mark I got online and searched about the buddy heater and it turned out to be a spider and web inside the pilot burner. It would light, but because it wasn't a strong enough flame it wouldn't warm the thermocouple tube to keep the burner working. It took me about 10 minutes to fix it. These are really good heaters although this one is a small 4-9,000 btu model that I bought for keeping a shooting house nice and toasty, it will keep you from freezing. I have a nice ceramic style heater that I had planned on getting hooked up for an emergency, but I didn't get it fixed quick enough. Needless to say I will be getting it fixed as soon as I can get to town. Hope everyone has gotten a small look into what may transpire during a grid down or bad storm. Please take heed at what went right and what failed to an extent.

Mark I got online and searched about the buddy heater and it turned out to be a spider and web inside the pilot burner. It would light, but because it wasn't a strong enough flame it wouldn't warm the thermocouple tube to keep the burner working. It took me about 10 minutes to fix it. These are really good heaters although this one is a small 4-9,000 btu model that I bought for keeping a shooting house nice and toasty, it will keep you from freezing. I have a nice ceramic style heater that I had planned on getting hooked up for an emergency, but I didn't get it fixed quick enough. Needless to say I will be getting it fixed as soon as I can get to town. Hope everyone has gotten a small look into what may transpire during a grid down or bad storm. Please take heed at what went right and what failed to an extent.

I have had the same buddy heater sitting in the house ready to go, I didn't need it so I didn't light it. On second thought I will test it tonight. I have a kerosene heater I sat in the garage and a couple Coleman lanterns and a stove that were ready, maybe I will just test them all in the next couple days. Thanks for your post! Edited by kentmck

Thanks DS. The heaters we bought are mainly in case we lose power when I'm on the road. They are easy for my wife to manage  and will keep her warm until I can get home.

I will add checking this into my early season prep with your fix in mind...

Mark

Here in East TN I didn't get enough to count. Last years ice storms really brought some shortcomings to the table. I have some friends who kill the main once a year to check where there opportunities are. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk