Talk about bad LUCK!!

Randall53

Our water heater went on the fritz and was leaking on Wednesday, so we called the people that put it in 5 short years ago to replace it under warranty.  They got here this morning and had the new one in, in about 1.5 hours. Our hot water pressure had been about half of what it should be but the new water heater didn't fix the low pressure problem. The galvanized water pipes to our water heater and the washer was under or in the slab for the last 6 feet. The plumber crawled under the house and finally figured out the hot water pipe was broken/rotted under or in the slab. After about 5 hours of work, they ran new pipes another way and abandoned the ones in the slab and it fixed the problem. Wife and I went to eat a bite and came home a couple of hours later and the house was about 60 degrees. I checked the unit and the fan motor was bad and I had no place to get one until Monday. I now have a kerosene heater and two oil filled heaters keeping us warm. Life since Wednesday has been a challenge to say the least, but I'm hoping for things to return to normal after I install the new motor on Monday. Sucks to be me right now....LOL. Of course, things can always be worse.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1
Our water heater exploded a few months ago. The new water heater was our Christmas present and then some.

Years ago, when my wife and I were newlyweds, the furnace went out on our house and it was two weeks of winter before we could get a new one installed. We pulled the mattress out to the living room to sleep, and kept a fire going for two weeks. While it was an inconvenience, I can't complain about the opportunity to share body heat!

Sucks to be me right now....LOL. Of course, things can always be worse.

Yeah, I heard there's a sickness going around, people going to sleep and waking up liberal.  Hope you don't catch that on top of the rest of your problems!

Our water heater exploded a few months ago. The new water heater was our Christmas present and then some.

Years ago, when my wife and I were newlyweds, the furnace went out on our house and it was two weeks of winter before we could get a new one installed. We pulled the mattress out to the living room to sleep, and kept a fire going for two weeks. While it was an inconvenience, I can't complain about the opportunity to share body heat!

Yep. Nothing is cheap anymore and they just don't last. The water heater that went out was a replacement for the one in the house when we bought it courtesy of our home warrenty. Luckily it had about 7 months left on a six year warranty, so this one only cost us labor. The water leak was a different animal and cost more than the water heater replacement. Sharing body heat....now that's making a good thing out of a bad thing. LOL

Man, that sucks. Keep an eye on the fumes from your temporary heat sources.

Thanks for the warning. we did crack a window open a little bit in the room where the kerosene heater was at.

Same story here. Washing machine in mid December, had to run new gray water line also on a slab, drilled big hole in exterior brick wall to run 2" line. Dishwasher out last week. 2 appliances in months.

I replaced the blower motor in my heating/air unit in June and now the shaft of this motor will move vertically at least a 1/4 inch. The fan was hitting the housing. Of course the motor was made in China as were the last 3 that have been put in this thing in the past 5 years. I think it's a conspiracy. 

Yeah, I heard there's a sickness going around, people going to sleep and waking up liberal.  Hope you don't catch that on top of the rest of your problems!

LOL....I think you're right! But I was cured of that about 25 years ago.

Hate to hear that.  We had a run on appliances too, both at our home and our rental that we own.  That hurt.

Ouch...now that can get expensive fast. Maybe we're both good for a while now.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It's funny you brought this up because I was actually about to start a new thread to ask a question about my hot water heater.

When we bought the house back in September the inspector said it was the original hot water heater(11 years old now) and he recommended having someone out to perform routine maintenance.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm just wondering what type of maintenance should be done.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It's funny you brought this up because I was actually about to start a new thread to ask a question about my hot water heater.

When we bought the house back in September the inspector said it was the original hot water heater(11 years old now) and he recommended having someone out to perform routine maintenance.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm just wondering what type of maintenance should be done.

I use to see my dad about every 3-5 years, turn the power off, then drain it, and remove the buildkup inside the tank.  I think 99% of all elements go out, is always the lower element.  Its caused by the buildup.

• Like 1

At 11 years old, replace it, then begin a maintenance schedule on the new one.

• Like 3

At 11 years old, replace it, then begin a maintenance schedule on the new one.

Agreed. And if you have a 40 gallon, consider a 50.  Only a few $$ more.  I upgraded when I bought my house.  IMHO, a house with 2 bathrooms should have something bigger than a 40 gallon heater.  :2cents:

Speaking of luck, my heat pump and air handler are 22 years old and still going (now I've jinxed myself  :wall:  )

It's a Goodman unit so when it dies I'm definitely buying another one.

A typical water heater will last about ten years at the max. If it is eleven years old, someone got a good run out of it.

If you were in Louisville I could put a 40 or 50 gallon gas or electric Bradford White in there, labor, haul off and permit for $650, special because you know me price. 

But yes, I would look at getting it replaced. Maintenance is a moot point at eleven years old.

A typical water heater will last about ten years at the max. If it is eleven years old, someone got a good run out of it.

If you were in Louisville I could put a 40 or 50 gallon gas or electric Bradford White in there, labor, haul off and permit for $650, special because you know me price. 

But yes, I would look at getting it replaced. Maintenance is a moot point at eleven years old.

You need a permit to change out a water heater in Louisville?