Considering a small SUV-AWD

TNWNGR

I appreciate all of the good comments and recomendations. Up until the last few years I never would have considered a Subaru, CRV or RAV 4 because they were uncomfortably tight once I was inside them. However, all of them have become somewhat larger and more roomy inside. The Edge suprises me with its interior space for that matter.

I've had a Subaru Outback/Impreza for several years. I love it. It pulls a trailer well, I can pass on a yellow line with a 16' jet-ski.
Look at you-tube about the all-wheel drive reviews, not even Toyota matches them.
They set low and handle very well.
Wifey has an 08 Lincoln MKX with AWD, which is a spit-shined Edge. I like it. 130,000 miles and not a single problem so far. I do all the maintenance myself, and it's easy to work on. It's been great in the snow and ice. I've never had to change my plans because it couldn't take me where I wanted to go. Heck, it even forded (ha! Pun!) a small river over a roadway during the Nashville flood years back. Looking back, I really shouldn't have done that, but we made it through fine.

Like others have said, the mileage isn't great. 3.5l V6, gets 19 city, up to 21 hwy. It could probably do a little better, but we flog that sucker. We road trip it often, and it's usually running close to triple digits. I can't complain about 20 mpg in that case.

WAIT!!! Just remembered... we had a HUGE problem at about 50,000 miles! The switch that controls the power mirrors worked intermittently. Fixed under warranty, never to reoccur. Whew!

As to the Subaru... great cars, too. My Bro has had a few. His only thing is the engines tend to need seals after a few years. He used to trade every 3 years so it didn't matter, but decided to keep this one a little longer as he has a kid about to go to college... just spent $2,400 on rebuilding the motor.
I got a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with the V6 back in October, I've already put 6500 miles on it. It is awesome! Handles great, good gas mileage and super comfortable (I'm 6'0" 240#).
They had some tranny issues on the 2014s and early 2015s but seem to have it under control. Mine has been flawless in that regard and I drive pretty hard.
Finally got to drive it over snow this past week and felt great even over some steep back roads getting to where I work.
I was also thinking Subaru but I'm VERY glad I got the Jeep.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Doesn't look like you need much more advice but.... A good friend back in Western NY has had a couple of Subarus and swears by them. I have ridden with him in pretty bad conditions and I have seen him pull a trailer loaded with firewood up a pretty steep grass covered hill. He also puts Winter tires on it for a little more edge in the snow season which is a lot longer and deeper in his area right off Lake Ontario. Having said all that we bought a new car this fall and had it narrowed down to the Edge and a CRV. My wife drove the CRV and we didn't even test drive the Edge. Still feeling out how well it does in the snow. We havn't tried getting out of our place since the last snow, we will see in the morning how good it does.

Why not Suburu for us? Seats just were not that comfortable for either of us and we road in the friends many times. Bottom line drive them and see what fits you.

The new Forester is very nice. As far as all weather driving you probably can't find a better small SUV. These things are pretty rugged. The Edge is more stylish but the Forester would kick its tail in every performance category for what you want out of an all wheel drive SUV.

Not real sure about the lawsuit thing but I know people who have Subarus with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

Not real sure about the lawsuit thing but I know people who have Subarus with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/update-subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit

Just a link. Like I said, only certain models and years. Just a cautionary tail. Kinda like I'd be nervous about a Jeep because of the hacking issue. But it's all like that now a days, they've all got issues.

Personally I am a Ford/Dodge fan but the new Dodge commercial about how proud the brothers would be of the 2016's made me laugh. Really? Fiat owns it.

We both have 2005 vehicles, while some people could never hold on to a vehicle that long and like to upgrade, I'm hesitant to jump into the new. Keep it simple, no screens, no sat nav, no onstar. I sound like my grandma but it's true. They newer they are the more costly to repair. My friend popped the hood on a new Hyundai he bought his wife and I cracked up. The engine bay had a piece of plastic over it with their logo. If I can't change my own battery/oil, no way. Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
Have a nissan awd rogue. More comfortable than my son's edge. Gets 28 mpg and has ability to lock in all 4 wheels by button if it get really deep. Same price as edge.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk Edited by Bill4282

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/update-subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit

Just a link. Like I said, only certain models and years. Just a cautionary tail. Kinda like I'd be nervous about a Jeep because of the hacking issue. But it's all like that now a days, they've all got issues.

Personally I am a Ford/Dodge fan but the new Dodge commercial about how proud the brothers would be of the 2016's made me laugh. Really? Fiat owns it.

We both have 2005 vehicles, while some people could never hold on to a vehicle that long and like to upgrade, I'm hesitant to jump into the new. Keep it simple, no screens, no sat nav, no onstar. I sound like my grandma but it's true. They newer they are the more costly to repair. My friend popped the hood on a new Hyundai he bought his wife and I cracked up. The engine bay had a piece of plastic over it with their logo. If I can't change my own battery/oil, no way.

Same boat here. We have an 02 Extera and a 04 Jeep Liberty. I drive them till the wheels fall off.

The Liberty is close.

I actually work for an automotive ad agency and spent some time as a director of marketing for a large group.

I can tell you what to avoid.

Right now My personal experience and internal knowledge tells me to avoid Nissan like the plague. VW is real obvious but they've been making crap long before they got caught.

In the 20k - 30k price range if I were to buy a new small size SUV it would be a Forester. No other vehicle would be in my narrow field. It's that much better than the rest of the pack.

If you want durable go for the Subaru. There's a reason Subaru was up 26% in sales when the industry about crashed.

I'd take 1 Subaru to two Fords.  A friend of mine has a WRX STI that is an absolute blast to drive.  And, it will carry the groceries and kids home in the snow!  If I ever find myself in a situation where I'm car shopping a Subaru will be the first thing that I look at.  Until then I'll be practical and continue to drive my truck.

I appreciate all of the good comments and recomendations. Up until the last few years I never would have considered a Subaru, CRV or RAV 4 because they were uncomfortably tight once I was inside them. However, all of them have become somewhat larger and more roomy inside. The Edge suprises me with its interior space for that matter.

I'm 6'10, 230 pounds, and I fit reasonably well in my wifes Subaru Forrester.  Better than my little Toyota Tacoma.  

Find yourself an older, lovingly cared for jeep wrangler with a hard top and ac..Install the gizmos on it ya like;for creature comfort and fun (...insulation in the top... Loud radio...other stuff...) as ya got the time and extra cash.. . After drivin it a while and goin thru a few slick spots; you won't want any of these other "mini SUV/AWV" gizmos anymore...  I've never been without one... 

all wheel leroy...

the jeep affectionado...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2

I'm 6'10, 230 pounds, and I fit reasonably well in my wifes Subaru Forrester.  Better than my little Toyota Tacoma.  

6' 10" & 230# would make you thin enough to fit in anything with enough headspace... and legroom...LOL. Your nine inches taller and 35# heavier then me. Of course my losing thirty some odd pounds through diet and exercise suddenly made small cars somewhat more comfortable.

• Like 1

I endured two months in Nissan Consumer Affairs. That experience tells me the exact same thing.

They are building junk cars now. Every model is plagued with issues. I put Nissan in the Mitsubishi category.

I just don't understand how they keep selling.

Also Nissan is notorious for ignoring known mechanical flaws in their designs.

I've had one and I'll never have another.

Find yourself an older, lovingly cared for jeep wrangler with a hard top and ac..Install the gizmos on it ya like;for creature comfort and fun (...insulation in the top... Loud radio...other stuff...) as ya got the time and extra cash.. . After drivin it a while and goin thru a few slick spots; you won't want any of these other "mini SUV/AWV" gizmos anymore... I've never been without one...

all wheel leroy...
the jeep affectionado...

I'm thinking about a Wrangler myself. Just too pricey for the new unlimiteds. I need room for the kids or I'd get an old cheap jeep. I can't afford a new Forester and the "good" model has only been out two years so it's not depreciated enough yet.

When I do buy I like to go three or four years old.

• Like 2

They are building junk cars now. Every model is plagued with issues. I put Nissan in the Mitsubishi category.

I just don't understand how they keep selling.

Also Nissan is notorious for ignoring known mechanical flaws in their designs.

I've had one and I'll never have another.

Their new Titan is pretty awesome. But it looks like a ripoff of a Ford Raptor to me. Again, I would never buy anything new unless I had a boatload of money. But I guess we'll see how it plays out once it's released.

It's funny how when someone has a car that had issues, every car by that manufacturer is junk.  I simply say this as a general statement, not directed at anyone.  I have a Titan and it is a great vehicle.  I and I suspect many others know many people who work at Nissan and overall, there are probably more Nissan's in Middle Tennessee than just about anywhere in the country.  I don't hear a lot about people not liking their Nissans.  

Pick any manufacturer and someone will tell you they are junk.  To equate it to guns, I personally would never own a Mossberg because when I grew up, Mossberg equalled cheap crap.  I suspect they are better today, but if someone asks me, I will never pick a Mossberg model to recommend.

I think all cars are 100x's the quality today that they were even 20 years ago.  With proper maintenance and care, almost any of them should have the ability to be a good car.  Go drive them all and pick the one you like best.  I probably drove 40 cars before buying my last car.  I was very surprised at the cars I ended up liking and those I didn't.  I can tell you some of the most expensive cars impressed me the least.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

It's funny how when someone has a car that had issues, every car by that manufacturer is junk. I simply say this as a general statement, not directed at anyone. I have a Titan and it is a great vehicle. I and I suspect many others know many people who work at Nissan and overall, there are probably more Nissan's in Middle Tennessee than just about anywhere in the country. I don't hear a lot about people not liking their Nissans.

Pick any manufacturer and someone will tell you they are junk. To equate it to guns, I personally would never own a Mossberg because when I grew up, Mossberg equalled cheap crap. I suspect they are better today, but if someone asks me, I will never pick a Mossberg model to recommend.

I think all cars are 100x's the quality today that they were even 20 years ago. With proper maintenance and care, almost any of them should have the ability to be a good car. Go drive them all and pick the one you like best. I probably drove 40 cars before buying my last car. I was very surprised at the cars I ended up liking and those I didn't. I can tell you some of the most expensive cars impressed me the least.

Nissan has one of the lowest "quality defects per unit sold" of all major manufacturers. Kia is right up there too. Hyundai has one of the highest amount of defects of anyone.

I purchased a new Diesel pickup last year. I had 300,000mi on the last one and my son wanted it. I made a decision to drive all three brands and pick the one I liked the best. After some internet research I found it almost impossible to get a good picture of reliability. There were many claims of this brand it best and that one is horrible. Transmissions, turbos, ECM's you name the part and they all have huge failure rates according to the internet.

I did look up some real people and ask them their opinion of what they owned and found that most people like their truck but have a few comments about smaller items. Big failures weren't that common. I got a better feeling looking someone in the eye while asking their opinion, than the big online forums. Here at TGO there are many interests and you can get a feel for someones attitude if you hang around much, not quite as good as face to face but better than totally anonymous...

I was told by a fellow the other day that my truck was a ticking bomb and that by 40Kmi it would be a smoking hole in my wallet because it was the wrong brand. Funny thing is that it already has 59kmi on it and about 1/3 of that is hauling a 24' enclosed trailer....

Do your research, but buy what is comfortable and you can get good service on if needed. Much like guns the dealer can be as important as the car itself.

• Like 2