Considering a small SUV-AWD

TNWNGR

Well, that's your opinion, but my findings differ. As a teen and young adult I put several Tacomas through more work than most 1 tons see and they held up well. I didn't enjoy my 2013 pre runner as much as my old 04 Prerunner but I did like the 13's 24 mpg. Yeah, the new f150s get that or something close, but I do not like driving a full size truck everyday. I love the maneuverability of my 2dr Wrangler. Which brings me to the next point I never lost more than $2,000 on a Wrangler or Tacoma. I sold my 2004 Prerunner three years later with 40k miles on it for $1500 less than I paid for it new. I drove my 2013 for two years and then TRADED it with only losing $2k. You can't do that with an F150.

You're damn right on the resale value of the Toyota Trucks ! They run and run . Just change the oil and transmission fluid regualrly and you're good to go ! I hate to say it but American vehicles just plain suck and are unreliable  . My new car at work issued to me is a 2015 Ford Taurus and at only 5,000 miles it has two major leaks in the transmission that was spraying fluid all over the bottom .

Edited by tercel89

IMAG0627_zps93e2a8b7.jpgBaru Crosstrek

TNWNGR , this is an awesome selection for you ! My wife and me were about to get one but she ended up going with a Honda Accord . I wish she had decided on this Subaru . It's the Crosstrek and it's very reliable and works great ! It has good ground clearance too and would go across the Cumberland City Ferry at the Steam Plant without dragging at all !

Edited by tercel89

I have to throw my :2cents: in. Imo, the Toyota Rav4 is the perfect small SUV. I have a 2011 4WD Limited and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.  Mine is the 4 cyl version and acceleration is nice and peppy, but if I ever get another one, I'll get the 6 cyl because of it's greater towing capability. I live a couple miles off the main hwy on a very hilly gravel road, and my tires didn't spin one time when I went out in either of the last two snows that we had. I have almost 60,000 miles on it now and have not had one single problem, and all I've done to it is change the oil and filters and put on a new set of tires. I get 21-22 mpg around town and about 26 mpg hwy. As far as space goes, I'm 5'11 and 250 lbs and I have plenty room. I can also fit in the backseat comfortably. I have plenty cargo space, especially when I fold the seats down......I fit a 7 cu ft freezer in the back with no problem. Toyotas are among the best vehicles for their resale value too......not that I plan on selling mine anytime soon! ;)

Dependability is of utmost importance to me when choosing a new vehicle. I did a lot of research before I bought my Rav4. I was also considering a Subaru, along with Honda, Ford, Nissan, and Kia. When I looked at all the dependability ratings and compared them, Toyota and Honda are at the top of the list. I was torn between the Rav4 and a CRV, and wound up choosing the Rav mainly because I liked the way it looked better than the CRV.  As far as quality and dependability goes, I think the Rav4 and the CRV are about the same. I would urge you to take a good close look at dependability ratings and owner reviews before making your choice. No matter how great a vehicle looks, feels, or drives, they're not worth it if you're having to take them to the repair shop all the time! :)

• Like 1

I think I remember seeing a Motor Trend or some other article where they took a v6 Rav4 to the drag strip, It won like "the fastest small SUV" in their shootout or something. I was pretty impressed with the one I drove. I think the CRV is pretty close, and both have really good resale and very reliable.

All Toyotas have good resale and are really reliable, I'll give them that. That's the only reason there's one in my garage.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I'm a little late to this party, but I'd buy another Nissan. My '12 Frontier crewcab has been a good one so far.

My mom had one of the little Frontiers.  4-cylinder.  It wouldn't win any races, but she flat wore that thing out and loved that truck.

I think we sometimes overlook the utility of a small truck.  The heart of the matter is that most of the people driving giant trucks around suburban Nashville today would likely be just as well served by a little truck.  Mind you, this is America, and decisions are generally based on wants more than needs.  But, I find it interesting nonetheless.

Side note, Toyota stopped offering the Rav4 in a V6. And as someone mentioned, with a V6 it absolutely hauled ass. It was one of Toyota's fastest vehicles. We love our Rav4. I almost went with the V6 but the 4cyl has been plenty of motor for our needs. I've even hauled 1000 pounds of laminate flooring in the Rav4 without issue. I could feel the weight but it was fine. Obviously it's not going to tow a boat but it's not intended for that. We also get similar gas mileage as PackinMama.

Everyone that rides in our Rav4 makes the same comment, "I can't believe how roomy it is". Also, because of the spare tire being on the back hatch there is an entire hidden compartment in the back. It will fit a Remington 870 and a lot more.

I keep a get home back hidden back there in addition to a spare pair of boots, some jumper cables, and other misc stuff. All of this is out of sight.

• Like 1
That's a shame that they quit offering the Rav4 in a V6! I didn't know that. You're right about them hauling butt too! And the really great thing is that they only average about 1 mpg less than the 4 cyl!

Eric, I'm glad you mentioned the extra space in back where the spare tire would be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is only on the 2012's and older though. The newer models did away with putting the spare on the back, and now the back door opens like a hatcback rather than sideways. I love the older models! That storage area in the back is super handy and completely hidden under the carpet and I'm a big fan of the side opening rear door as well.

2012 model is what I drove.... if you could find a decent low mileage example of that in v6.... That's a solid vehicle.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-RAV4-Limited-with-Navigation-/151909897860?forcerrptr=true&hash=item235e891684:g:6dQAAOSwNyFWeHHE&item=151909897860

That's a nice vehicle for that money for sure, leather, nav, v6 & AWD.... really low miles too.

I'm doing my research and due dilligance on a pending small SUV/AWD vehicle. Currently I'm looking seriously at the Subaru Forester and Ford Edge. With those selections you can pretty well determine the price range I'm leaning towards. The four-cylinder engine in the Subaru kind of concerns me but it does have pretty good HP.  I  generally look first at slightly used vehicles but have sometimes purchased year end models when the price was right. Do any of you have recommendations?

I shopped that same market and decided on a 2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD exactly three years ago. The reason I know it was exactly three years ago is that my factory warranty runs out in just a few days. Is it weird that I feel kinda cheated because I haven't had any warranty claims? I did intentionally avoid the "MyFord Touch" option because that seemed to be the reason behind most consumer satisfaction complaints I'd read. I haven't missed it.  I've been pretty impressed with the vehicle and have no complaints. It's a good vehicle and I'd buy it again.

Edited by AirCav

I know this is a SUV thread , but have you thought about the 2004 and older Toyota Tacoma trucks with 4 doors ? The 4 doors have lots of room plus you have the bed in the rear too and you can pop on  camp-shell if you want . I have the 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4wd but mine is 2door but it is as reliable as the sunset . It is 4wd and has the 2.7 liter which is pretty much one of Toyota's best 4 cylinders. The older Tacoma's like the 2004 and older are the "Huey Helicopter" of Toyota . They run and run .

The 2.7 is my favorite Japanese engine :rock: . Want to know my favorite American Engine ? The 1984-1986 Ford SVO Engine the 2.3 Turbo Intercooled . The Ford SVO , in my opinion , was the best Mustang ever !
Sorry to get off topic , I got wrapped up in the moment LOL.

No way. The same stock 302s available during the same time frame would toast the SVO. I know. I ate many alive in drag races in a 5.0.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

No way. The same stock 302s available during the same time frame would toast the SVO. I know. I ate many alive in drag races in a 5.0.

There is a lot more to a car than straight line performance.

The SVO handled ten times better than a 5.0 and would run circles around them on a twisty road. It was a much better driver's car.

I have seen many a V8 fanboi go home crying after a car they should have toasted walked them.

I personally think one of my most humbling experiences came when my 500WHP Camaro was walked up a mountain by a 'four banger' Honda Accord in the mid nineties. There was no way that a hundred horsepower rice burner could beat me up a mountain I was raised on. 

It is a lesson I learned well, and have taught many times since with my Celica.

It takes less energy to stay fast. If you have to slow way down for the corners, you will run slower overall. A well balanced car, even a lower powered one, can maintain a higher average speed.

I learned a long time ago that the driver/car mod will almost always beat power mod.

• Like 2

I'll throw this out there...

The best small to mid sized suv I've ever driven was the Mitsubishi Endeavor AWD Limited I bought.  This was a 2004 model.  Bulletproof V6 engine, real frame, good mpg (for a suv) and HUGE moonroof.  

Remember, cars are a depreciating asset, and a HORRIBLE investment.  So let some other sucker take the hit and buy one a couple of years old… then drive it till the wheels fall off.  LOL

Not to get into a peeing match , but the SVO would kill the others in a road rally where there were curves and hills and such . Their handling was superior in their day .

The SVO handled ten times better than a 5.0 and would run circles around them on a twisty road. It was a much better driver's car.

I have seen many a V8 fanboi go home crying after a car they should have toasted walked them.

I personally think one of my most humbling experiences came when my 500WHP Camaro was walked up a mountain by a 'four banger' Honda Accord in the mid nineties. There was no way that a hundred horsepower rice burner could beat me up a mountain I was raised on. 

It takes less energy to stay fast. If you have to slow way down for the corners, you will run slower overall. A well balanced car, even a lower powered one, can maintain a higher average speed.

I learned a long time ago that the driver/car mod will almost always beat power mod.

AMEN my brother !!!!

Anyone can go fast in a straight line.   As we'd say when I road sport bikes.... I don't go that fast, I just don't slow down much either.

• Like 1