7-year-old accidentally shot, killed in Crossville.

FortKnox

http://www.wsmv.com/story/31052741/police-7-year-old-accidentally-shot-in-crossville-parking-lot

Police in Crossville said a 7-year-old boy was shot in a parking lot on Monday afternoon.

Just before 3 p.m., dispatchers received a call that the boy was bleeding from his head in a business parking lot on Highway 127 North.

When officers arrived on the scene, they found that four children had been left unattended in a vehicle while their mother and stepfather were inside the business paying a bill.

Investigators said that one of the children found a loaded semi-automatic pistol inside their mother’s purse. The child then tried to unload the gun when it accidentally discharged, striking the 7-year-old boy.

The victim was flown to a Knoxville hospital for treatment. Police later confirmed that the boy had died.
Police said the shooting remains under investigation, but appears to be accidental.

It is unknown if the boy's mother and stepfather will face any charges. The Department of Children's Services is involved in the investigation.

Crossville: 7 year old dies after being accidentally shot by another child.

Short version: Children left in car (negligently, by parent) with loaded pistol in purse. One found the gun, removed or tried to remove the magazine, gun discharged (when the child pulled the trigger with a round left in the chamber) striking the victim in the head. (My opinion in parentheses.)

Multiple issues here, but say a prayer for this family.

• Like 2

Terrible situation.  I'd also venture a guess that these kids were never taught proper gun safety.  My 4 year old already knows the first rule for kids when it comes to guns: If you see a gun you don't touch it and get an adult.  My son knows to never touch any of my firearms, including the fake plastic ones I use for making holsters.  I also allow him to handle my actual firearms after I've unloaded them and only under my supervision so that his curiosity won't get the better of his judgement.  I've read similar stories about LEOs leaving their duty belt accessible to kids who were able to get the gun out of the holster and fired off a shot, so it goes to show that even the most experienced gun owners can fall victim to complacency.  A lesson for all of us to be sure.

• Like 5

Merged the two threads on this topic.

Tragedy indeed. I don't care how many times you've had the discussion, kids will be kids. You don't leave loaded firearms where they can get them. This was a 100% preventable death. And now a kid is going to have to deal with the fact that he killed another kid. Pathetic.

• Like 6
Tragic? Yes.
Accident? Hell no.

Yeah, the mother most likely feels pretty bad but that ain't enough. She should be hung out to dry. This was 100% avoidable. If you're going to carry, have the damn common sense and courtesy to BE RESPONSIBLE!! That weapon should NEVER be out of your reach unless it is very scurely put away. Leaving it in your purse! WTF???

This is cut and dry criminal negligence and possibly involuntary manslaughter. Certainly some child endangerment charge and she should never be allowed to carry or own a firearms again. A good felony conviction would take care of that.

Poor little one. The woman should be beaten with a fan belt until she lapses in a coma.
  • Like 5

Merged the two threads on this topic.

Tragedy indeed. I don't care how many times you've had the discussion, kids will be kids. You don't leave loaded firearms where they can get them. This was a 100% preventable death. And now a kid is going to have to deal with the fact that he killed another kid. Pathetic.

I thought I educated my kids too by doing as ETP did only to find out later that kids will be kids. I ended up with a hole in my bathroom floor because I thought they'd comply with their training. The news even did a story with kids showing that even after just being given thorough instructions of what to do if you find a gun, (don't touch; go tell an adult), hidden cameras revealed that they ignored such instructions in favor of curiosity. My guns remain in the safe when my grandchildren - or any children - are visiting.

• Like 4

You never leave 4 kids in a car with a gun in a purse because most likely the kids all have seen her put the gun in her purse more than once and why does it take 2 people to go into a business to pay a bill? One should have stayed with the children. I have to agree with Caster on this one..........Very sorry for the children that were involved as this will stay with them forever.........jmho

I thought I educated my kids too by doing as ETP did only to find out later that kids will be kids. I ended up with a hole in my bathroom floor because I thought they'd comply with their training. The news even did a story with kids showing that even after just being given thorough instructions of what to do if you find a gun, (don't touch; go tell an adult), hidden cameras revealed that they ignored such instructions in favor of curiosity. My guns remain in the safe when my grandchildren - or any children - are visiting.

I was thinking of those shows specifically. It doesn't mean they're bad kids and it doesn't mean the parents are bad if the kids don't listen. None of us did. You know we all sneaked a smoke, peaked at the nudie mags, or whatever it was we weren't supposed to do. But guns have instant and permanent repercussions, so it is 100% up to the parents to make sure they are not accessible by any kid that is not old enough to stay home and babysit his/her younger siblings at the very least. In other words, if a kid is not old enough or responsible enough to trust a life to, they aren't old enough or responsible enough to trust a gun to. It's the same thing, basically.

Damn it, I hate hearing this crap. Idiot parents, plain and simple.

• Like 1

As a people, we will never punish her properly but she should spend life in a room covered with pictures of that little one. Maybe even a tv repeating home videos and pictures on a constant feed.

Depending on her mental state finding her child shot and bleeding and later dying because of her stupidity might be all the punishment she needs. If she loves her children enough, just knowing what she did by being stupid may be punishment enough. With that said, it is still under investigation by DHS and believe me those people can dish out some very serious punishment. I have witnessed it first hand and it's ugly...........jmho

I do not want to be so bold and declare this as negligence - moreso complacency; at least I want to believe that line of thinking.

A 7 year old or younger is still not mature enough to execute proper judgment regardless of the amount of training or supervision given when he/she is trying to sate curiosity.

I am going to assume he sort of knew what he was doing since he was attempting to unload and ND'ed it.

Granted none of those makes a difference, bottom line is a kid died while being a kid and being curious.

It had to be a horrible feeling, now these parents are going to be torn apart by the cops, DCS and worst of all the court of public opinion.

Part of me does not want to see her get buried for this - losing a child is punishment enough, you will NEVER live that down no matter what you do.

This hits me in the feels - 100% avoidable but "coulda-shoulda-woulda" will not rectify the situation.

God be with them no matter what.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Just thinking out loud here...well typing anyway but; was the business posted?  I know, I know, kids should not be left alone, gun should of been secured etc etc., and

I agree, but was the reason the gun/purse was left behind because she didn't want to break the law by going past a posted sign? 

Edit for speeling.

Edited by Omega

Just thinking out loud here...well typing anyway but; was the business posted?  I know, I know, kids should not be left alone, gun should of been secured etc etc., and

I agree, but was the reason the gun/purse was left behind because she didn't want to break the law by going past a posted sign? 

Edit for speeling.

I don't know about that Verizon Store but the one here in Gallatin is posted.............. :doh:

Terrible situation.  I'd also venture a guess that these kids were never taught proper gun safety.  My 4 year old already knows the first rule for kids when it comes to guns: If you see a gun you don't touch it and get an adult.  My son knows to never touch any of my firearms, including the fake plastic ones I use for making holsters.  I also allow him to handle my actual firearms after I've unloaded them and only under my supervision so that his curiosity won't get the better of his judgement.  I've read similar stories about LEOs leaving their duty belt accessible to kids who were able to get the gun out of the holster and fired off a shot, so it goes to show that even the most experienced gun owners can fall victim to complacency.  A lesson for all of us to be sure.

I still can't touch a gun without hearing Dad's voice " If you touch that gun without my supervision I'll bust that ass boy!"  

The anti's will use this to their own ends but if the kid had picked up a hammer and hit one of the others in the head you wouldn't hear a peep about it. 

• Like 1

My 4, almost 5, year old twins are exactly the same way because from pretty much age 1 we taught them not to touch firearms and if you find one find an adult first thing. Ignoring reality does not make kids safer, teaching them what to do when they encounter certain things does.

Making a bad decision does not mean these are bad people.  They made a bad choice.  It probably seemed innocent enough at the time. They will have to live with this the rest of their life.  Whatever happens to them will not be as bad as knowing what they allowed to happen. 

We have all made bad choices in life, I am lucky mine never cost someone's life.  I have been accused of things, been tarried a feathered by a lot of people that  read a highly inaccurate news article even though they did not know a thing about me.  Through that I have a lot of more compassion for people that are going through tough times.  I also do not believe much I read in the newspapers. 

It is very easy to armchair this but I will withhold judgement. 

• Like 3

Edit for speeling.

I cant believe anybody would make the leap that this happened because the store was posted and would try to pass any part of the blame onto anybody but the parent. That is as bad, if not worse, than the anti gunners using this to further their agenda by blaming the gun.

I cant believe anybody would make the leap that this happened because the store was posted and would try to pass any part of the blame onto anybody but the parent. That is as bad, if not worse, than the anti gunners using this to further their agenda by blaming the gun.

Well you can believe I made that leap, and while I did not lay it at the feet of the business, I say it is something to consider.  When a business makes a decision to post, "for the safety of their patrons", they must consider ALL their patrons. That is not to take all blame away from the parents, not by a long shot, but like I said, something to consider IMHO.

Oh, and I take offense to being compared to those that blame inanimate objects, it was a human that made that decision.

Well you can believe I made that leap, and while I did not lay it at the feet of the business, I say it is something to consider.  When a business makes a decision to post, "for the safety of their patrons", they must consider ALL their patrons. That is not to take all blame away from the parents, not by a long shot, but like I said, something to consider IMHO.

Oh, and I take offense to being compared to those that blame inanimate objects, it was a human that made that decision.

So what if it happened at a post office? Your gun is your responsibility at all times and to leave it unsecured for any reason in the presence of children places 110% of the blame on you and only you and nobody else. Opening the door to place any responsibilty to anyone else is just wrong

So what if it happened at a post office? Your gun is your responsibility at all times and to leave it unsecured for any reason in the presence of children places 110% of the blame on you and only you and nobody else. Opening the door to place any responsibilty to anyone else is just wrong

Again, not trying to take all the blame away from the parents; they bear the ultimate responsibility for leaving their kids in the car, and leaving their weapon unsecure.  But yes, I say even the post office should have to be responsible for their customers safety if they post their premises.