7-year-old accidentally shot, killed in Crossville.

FortKnox

what I get out of this is a tragedy occurred, a preventable one.

Man, educate kids on guns.  Take the mystery out of them. Even if Mom left a gun in her purse the kids should not have played with it.  Teach basic gun safety.

I thought I educated my kids too by doing as ETP did only to find out later that kids will be kids. I ended up with a hole in my bathroom floor because I thought they'd comply with their training. The news even did a story with kids showing that even after just being given thorough instructions of what to do if you find a gun, (don't touch; go tell an adult), hidden cameras revealed that they ignored such instructions in favor of curiosity. My guns remain in the safe when my grandchildren - or any children - are visiting.

This is true. The nature of kids is that they don't really heed warnings and want to do things out of curiosity.

My rule is that only two guns in the house are loaded.  One is a 12 gauge Mossberg pump shotgun loaded with 6 rounds of buckshot.  Nothing is in the chamber.  It's in the safe.  The other is my CC gun and it's loaded and in the safe or on my hip.  One round in the chamber.  

My comp gun never has a round in it while in the house.  Only snap caps.  This way I know that dry fire practice never results in a whoops.  Before I leave comp shoots, the gun is unloaded and stored.  It's not loaded until I get to the range either.

All other rifles and pistols don't get shot much and are in the safe locked up and unloaded.  

I don't feel the CC course has enough safety preaching in it.  It should be hammered over and over and if you miss a question on the test relating to a safety issue, I think it should be auto fail.