Canik TP9 SF 9mm

tercel89

I have had Pneumonia and just getting over it and then I fall and injured my back. So I have been burning some sick time at home . So while sitting here I have been researching the Canik TP9 SF . WOW , it seems to be pretty nice . I have a few friends who are trust worthy who would not exaggerate who stated that the TP series is pretty nice and very reliable. The new TP9 SF is just like the rest but with no decocker on top of the slide. I am almost ready to take the plunge but one thing seems to be inthe negative: No spare parts anywhere. I know they have a great warranty but when it comes to owning a gun I like to have spare parts available like a Glock and 1911 . Parts to be found almost anywhere.

I swear right when I think I have found a great new gun something always pops up negatively ! I had high hopes for the Ruger American 9mm but that was a flop after shooting it .

Any of you guys/gals have a Canik TP series ? Have any parts failed or need replacing ?

• Like 1

I think there have been a few threads about the TP9 lately. I haven't really paid attention but just looked them up and I kind of like the look of the TP9SFx in tungsten.

http://www.canik55.com/series/tp-series/tp9-sfx

A couple of minutes searching shows the SF and SFx models will be imported sometime this year, I am not seeing them listed as available to buy yet?

I think there have been a few threads about the TP9 lately. I haven't really paid attention but just looked them up and I kind of like the look of the TP9SFx in tungsten.

http://www.canik55.com/series/tp-series/tp9-sfx

A couple of minutes searching shows the SF and SFx models will be imported sometime this year, I am not seeing them listed as available to buy yet?

There is one sf on gun broker right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I handled on at Tn Gun Country some time back and while favorably impressed didn;t have any urge to purchase it at that time. I've since come to the conclusion my concerns over the de-cocker were groundless. I can see the design and marketing mindset behind the de-cocker but not its actual viability. I'll continue to follow these Canik threads for a bit longer before I make a decision to purchase one as I'm in no hurry.

The TP9 SA and the v2 models are both good in my opinion. Mine have around 500 rounds thru them so far with no problems of any kind.

Spare parts and holsters/mag carriers specifically for them will take awhile to become available.

A lot of folks who have tried mine say they want one, especially the v2 model.

The decocker is a non issue in my opinion.

Edited by DWARREN123

I handled on at Tn Gun Country some time back and while favorably impressed didn;t have any urge to purchase it at that time. I've since come to the conclusion my concerns over the de-cocker were groundless. I can see the design and marketing mindset behind the de-cocker but not its actual viability. I'll continue to follow these Canik threads for a bit longer before I make a decision to purchase one as I'm in no hurry.

Was the Canik at Tn Gun Country new and for sale by them or was it one that someone else had on them ? I didnt thnk Dave carried them normally at his shop .

tercel, you're welcome to try mine.

I rememebr you said you had one . I usually goto Nashville with my wife on a "date" without the kids at least once a month. When we do it next I'll give you a heads up and I'll take you up on your offer to fondle yours ( your gun , not any body parts LOL ) and maybe dry fire it a few at your shop. :cool:

Edited by tercel89

The TP9 SA and the v2 models are both good in my opinion. Mine have around 500 rounds thru them so far with no problems of any kind.

Spare parts and holsters/mag carriers specifically for them will take awhile to become available.

A lot of folks who have tried mine say they want one, especially the v2 model.

The decocker is a non issue in my opinion.

Yeah the spare parts availability is the only thing I can think of so far as a negative but you only live once .

Royal Range in Bellevue has some, not the SF tho. I have shot about 100 rounds through it for a review and found it to be very easy to shoot, honestly one of the nicest factory striker fired triggers. Cheap, seems to be reliable from what my buddies tell me. I would considering getting one as a stash box gun. Or a gun to keep somewhere that you don't really care about. 

• Like 1

Was the Canik at Tn Gun Country new and for sale by them or was it one that someone else had on them ? I didnt thnk Dave carried them normally at his shop .

It was a special order NIB that the customer who ordered it backed out of buying. You won't have any trouble finding one in Clarksville given the fact Academy generally has some on hand. I'd just call around and find a local business and go take a look. Insofar as your parts concerns go any initial concerns are warranty related and replacement parts will be available. Any aftermarket parts and such are driven by the available market.   

• Like 1

UPDATE : I just found a TP9 SA and was able to handle and fondle it. It wasn't the SF model that I want  but it sure gave me some nice idea and on how the SF will be. I gotta tell you guys it was awesome ! The trigger was just great and had a great reset. The fit and finsih looked very nice. It was $359 but was built like it would be a $500 pistol. A few weeks ago I was really wanting to get the Ruger American 9mm but was really let down after trying it out but this Canik TP9 SA is a different story.It is  SWEET . The only thing I dont like is the loaded chamber indicator but after looking at it , all I need to do is pop out a rollpin and it should come right out.

So all I got to do know is wait patiently until I find the SF model. I didnt even mind the top-sided decocker on this SA model.

I am just really impressed with this pistol ! 

• Like 2

UPDATE : I just found a TP9 SA and was able to handle and fondle it. It wasn't the SF model that I want  but it sure gave me some nice idea and on how the SF will be. I gotta tell you guys it was awesome ! The trigger was just great and had a great reset. The fit and finsih looked very nice. It was $359 but was built like it would be a $500 pistol. A few weeks ago I was really wanting to get the Ruger American 9mm but was really let down after trying it out but this Canik TP9 SA is a different story.It is  SWEET . The only thing I dont like is the loaded chamber indicator but after looking at it , all I need to do is pop out a rollpin and it should come right out.

So all I got to do know is wait patiently until I find the SF model. I didnt even mind the top-sided decocker on this SA model.

Yeah. Its a great value product, enough so to buy the one just like the one you handled and still pick up the SF model later. What's that they say two is one if the other goes down???

• Like 2

LOL As we've been telling you, these are a great gun, and a great value right now. But watch out...I see prices beginning to creep up on these as more people and dealers, see the quality in the TP9.  

I got mine for under 300 last spring/early summer(?) from an online dealer. And it's the desert tan version. Looks great.

I see the new color version ( what was it...Titanium?), but I think if I get another, I'll stick with the tan.

LOL As we've been telling you, these are a great gun, and a great value right now. But watch out...I see prices beginning to creep up on these as more people and dealers, see the quality in the TP9.  

I got mine for under 300 last spring/early summer(?) from an online dealer. And it's the desert tan version. Looks great.

I see the new color version ( what was it...Titanium?), but I think if I get another, I'll stick with the tan.

Yeah , kinda like when the HS2000 came to the U.S.  around the late 90's. I remember seeing them for $299. And then Springfield Armory started importing them and raised the price a few hundred dollars to around $440 or so.

I hope to snag up one of these TP9 SF's and hopefully soon.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I got a "wild hair up my butt" like we say here in the south. I got so excited about the Canik TP9 SF but after waiting and thinking on it I have finally came down from the clouds and realized that I just dont want a pistol that I cant get parts that are readily available for it. I want to be able to get parts for it like I can my 1911 and my Glocks. 

I came up on a great deal for a used Glock 17 FDE Gen 3 .I took my Canik TP9 SF funding and  I snagged that lady up today and I'm stripping her down all the way and cleaning her up right now . Most Glock owners love to have a few or a lot of G19's. For me it's the 17 . You can never have too many Glock 17's . 

I will try and get the TP9 SF when I have some spending money to blow but as I said , my golden rule is to always have  a shooter/carry gun with a surplus of parts available from almost any gun shop or internet service . 

Edited by tercel89

Well I went and handled a TP9 again and was about to set my mind on getting the TP9 SF ,  but I waited. I went home and sent Century Arms an email regarding spare parts . They are not selling parts at all at this time. So I am just sticking to Glock strictly for now. I know the gun could be sent to the factory for warranty if it breaks or something , but I just like having a surplus of parts available to order if I need something like with my GLock and 1911 . Too bad cause I really wanted this gun , the TP9 SF , but if parts cant be found then screw it . Here's their response .......

Thank You for contacting Century Arms...we do not have any information in regards to selling parts at this time.

Sincerely, 
Customer Service

Edited by tercel89