No more Facebook gun sales

• Moderators

I've had a firearms related classifieds Facebook group for a few years, and I'm an Admin on countless others. While you're probably much less likely to encounter an issue with a TGO member, I haven't had any issues during my many Facebook transactions. Unless you're a big dummy, you can generally get a pretty good idea of who you're dealing with. It doesn't take much to spot a bogus Facebook account from a mile away.

Facebook has a few advantages over sites like Armslist and GOC. Not only can quickly reach far more potential customers, you can also communicate much more efficiently in the thread or via PM, when compared to email. When communicating via email, you have even less of an idea of who you're really talking to than if you have a Facebook profile to browse through.

It sucks, but it's there house, their rules.

Joking aside I purchased a beautiful S&W Model 66 thru FB.
Facebook can do as they like. I don't like the PC, but whatever. I haven't bought nor sold a single weapon through FB, so no care.

Same goes for Craigslist. But add that I would never use it because of the scammers and jackers that crop up from time to time.

TGO has been the only place I've sold and traded firearms and for many reasons. One being the people here are good and more trustworthy. :up:
  • Like 1

I've had a firearms related classifieds Facebook group for a few years, and I'm an Admin on countless others. While you're probably much less likely to encounter an issue with a TGO member, I haven't had any issues during my many Facebook transactions. Unless you're a big dummy, you can generally get a pretty good idea of who you're dealing with. It doesn't take much to spot a bogus Facebook account from a mile away. 

Facebook has a few advantages over sites like Armslist and GOC. Not only can quickly reach far more potential customers, you can also communicate much more efficiently in the thread or via PM, when compared to email. When communicating via email, you have even less of an idea of who you're really talking to than if you have a Facebook profile to browse through.  

It sucks, but it's there house, their rules.

I agree with TDR.  While I always try here first, Facebook is an easy way to get in front of a big audience.  It really helps when you are looking for or selling oddball or specialized guns.    

• Like 1
Yup, I've traded quite a bit through FB groups. One nice thing is that some of the groups were smaller in region so I wasn't drooling over guns in Knoxville or getting window lickers from Memphis making terrible offers... just window lickers from Mid TN, lol!

You had to sift through more crap on FB, but with a little discernment in discussion, I've never had a bad deal either on guns or gear on FB.

Suckerberg can do whatever he wants with his product. I still use it for some things... just not guns n stuff any more :/
  • Like 1

I don't use FB so it's easy for me to say screw'em.

There's plenty of other venues that welcome your business.

Could you name a few that are local to a given city or small area?
I, too, have bought and sold on FB and find it to be easier to deal with for finding things locally.
I have moved a number of times in the last few years and fb has been the easiest way to find local buy, sell, trade groups in a given city.
  • Like 1

I belong to several FB groups in the Knoxville Area and have purchased and sold through FB for several years now.  I like that I can go to a person's FB page and get an idea of what they are like.  I can't do that here. 

I'd be interested in seeing when FB plans on implementing this, because all the groups I belong too are still active as of this morning.  Most of those groups have gone from public or closed to secret this morning.  I'm wondering if FB has told them if they move to secret, then they can continue as before.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/technology/facebook-gun-sales-ban.html?_r=0&referer=https://m.facebook.com/

Well, this sucks.
I know that it's their site, their rules but it still sucks.

Impossible to police. Lived in a town overseas that banned advertisements for dogs, as dogs were considered farm animals not suitable for urban areas. Therefore, the newspaper was full of ads for "fuzzy pets." Expect something similar for Facebook. No advertisements for guns? How about advertisements for "personal protective devices?"

Impossible to police. Lived in a town overseas that banned advertisements for dogs, as dogs were considered farm animals not suitable for urban areas. Therefore, the newspaper was full of ads for "fuzzy pets." Expect something similar for Facebook. No advertisements for guns? How about advertisements for "personal protective devices?"

Hahah... that's great.

For sale: 5.9" long thingy thrower with 9mm hole. Has three glow-in-the-dark spots. Customized with brown, arboreal hand-holds. Comes with two refill packs for 15 non-squares. Will throw in a epidermal-based holder. Includes bristles-on-a-stick, manual, and the original plastic case.

Edited by Obiwan
  • Like 2

Could you name a few that are local to a given city or small area?
I, too, have bought and sold on FB and find it to be easier to deal with for finding things locally.
I have moved a number of times in the last few years and fb has been the easiest way to find local buy, sell, trade groups in a given city.

I believe some clever folks have figured out a way around the liberalism. [emoji2]

I was thinking of forums like this.
Why not someone come up with GunBook, link it through FB?