Where's A2 love?

Caster

Another thread got me thinking...

Why did everyone turn their back on the A2?  Everything is carbine, fast twists [stupid!!!] and how many trinkets can we pack on there.  

Anyone else miss a nice set of fully adjustable iron sights?  Not the A1's, they were godawful, but the A2's were great.  Toss in a 12 twist pencil profile barrel and you got well balanced rifle that's a joy to shoot. 

I've been toying with the notion of building another one.  Got a bare lower begging for new project.  hmmmm, Maybe a set of triangle guards and three prong out front.  LOL.

• Like 4

I'm building my 3rd AR as a somewhat budget carbine. The A2 style is such a KISS set up, and I'd like to have just one. Only odd thing I'm putting on it is an adjustable front iron sight/gasblock in case I ever get a bug up my ass to silence it. Once I get that, a BCG, and a carry handle, I'm done. Most of the parts I already have for it are Anderson, including the barrel. TBH, I just don't care too much for fixed stocks. 

Edited by Ted S.
*whiney airsoft voice* but Delta Force SEAL snipers use Scars and daniel defense mk18s!

Most of the weapons are inspired by what SOF uses and what video games do.

The current M16s/M4s suck a bag of phallic statues...

Hell there is a reason a lot of Tier 1 dudes use Mk12s, I prefer a longer barrel...I did like the A2, well balanced and simple

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The Colt AR15A4 is the closest thing I have found without building your own and it's still a 1:7 twist and a medium heavy profile.

I wonder what's up with the 1:7 twists? They're on a lot of factory built rifles anymore. Is it just a fad or something?

I wonder what's up with the 1:7 twists? They're on a lot of factory built rifles anymore. Is it just a fad or something?

My understanding is that 1:7 will stabilize any ammo from 55gr up to 77gr. Special Forces is using 77gr ammo now and everybody wants what they are using. 55gr is common plinking ammo. And people want a rifle that will run and is accurate with anything they can pick up off the shelf.

I'd personally like to see more A2s and slower twist rifles out there.

Actually I don't know of many, if any, factory built rifles with a slower than 9 twist barrel. Edited by nightrunner
  • Like 1
I have an 18 inch 8 twist. It's a shootin' sum beech.

I really want an old school rifle this time though. I was a kid growing up the A-Team and aside from AC556 Rugers, that's what was on that show. I think I need a little nostalgia in my repertoire.

I have an 18 inch 8 twist. It's a shootin' sum beech.

I really want an old school rifle this time though. I was a kid growing up the A-Team and aside from AC556 Rugers, that's what was on that show. I think I need a little nostalgia in my repertoire.

You were a kid when the A-Team was on?

Crap I'm old.

• Like 1

You were a kid when the A-Team was on?
Crap I'm old.

I wasn't born when the A-t3am was on. I'd love to have a 20" A4. I like rifle length better, but would prefer a flatter so I have the option of carry handle or optic.

Sent from behind the anvil

Putting parts together for an M16A2 clone build now.
Going 1-7" twist though, for authenticity and because 75gr OTM rocks.

What is authentic about a 7 twist??

I mean, that's great if that's what you want, I'm all for it, but the old rifles were a slow twist.

To be sure, it's a copycat industry.  Making it look like current military issue equals sales dollars.  That includes the 1/7 twist that was for tracer rounds, which I'd imagine less than 1% of civilians ever fire from their own rifle. 

The problem with the A2's in the military is a lot of them are just old and beat up.  Plus in the era of every sight, scope, or optic you could ask for, the fixed carrying handle is a handicap.  The Marines found a great compromise when the fielded the A4's, but even they have decided to go with M4 carbines as the standard infantry weapon.  Anything you can't hit with an M4 should be taken care of with a 7.62x51 rifle anyway...or an Apache.

Another thread got me thinking...

Why did everyone turn their back on the A2?  Everything is carbine, fast twists [stupid!!!] and how many trinkets can we pack on there.  

Anyone else miss a nice set of fully adjustable iron sights?  Not the A1's, they were godawful, but the A2's were great.  Toss in a 12 twist pencil profile barrel and you got well balanced rifle that's a joy to shoot. 

I've been toying with the notion of building another one.  Got a bare lower begging for new project.  hmmmm, Maybe a set of triangle guards and three prong out front.  LOL.

Speak for yourself there, tender knuckles. :) Here's the one I built. It IS a 1:7 twist barrel by BCM. But, the A2 didn't have a pencil barrel, and DID have a 1:7 twist. This was as accurate as I could get it. The barrel cost me quite a bit by the time I had Adco stick the front sight on it. If you are gonna build from scratch, I have a DPMS rear sight kit still in the package...

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000071_zps

• Like 1

Blah blah DOOR KICKERS blah blah Vehicle borne assaults blah blah Delta SEALs blah blah

My 20" HBar with free float rail feels reallll good off hand. I might make it my 3 gun gun if I get around to getting the barrel threaded since it's a Post AWB era gun.

Blah blah DOOR KICKERS blah blah Vehicle borne assaults blah blah Delta SEALs blah blah

My 20" HBar with free float rail feels reallll good off hand. I might make it my 3 gun gun if I get around to getting the barrel threaded since it's a Post AWB era gun.

20" heavy? Nothin' better for a 10 mile hike :)