Under $25 AA LED Flashlights?

macville

So do you all have any flashlights you like that are under $25, use AA's, and are LED? If you look on Amazon there are a ton that fit the bill, but the quality seems to all over the place and even the highly ranked cheap ones (under $15) still have a ton of, "the power button stopped working after 1 day to 2 months" reviews. I had a really nice ($80+) EagleTac flashlight that I lost last year (sickening, but hoping it's still around the house somewhere) and still have a Mini Maglite that I caught on clearance for $10 that I really like. But I want if there are some other brands I could explore. The good brands I know of right now are EagleTac, SureFire, Fenix, & Maglite. Any other brands/models you all would suggest I look at? Multiple modes are nice, but not really necessary.

I have this AA LED flashlight. It's a Trustfire R5-A3.

PRO: Inexpensive ($11). Reasonably bright. Low is much lower than high. 3-mode (hi, low, strobe). Tiny. Lightweight. Reasonably well made. Works on AA or 14500 batteries. (Brighter on the 14500.)  Will tail stand.

CON: No hole to attach lanyard. The clip is about like a bobbie pin. It's not too sturdy and doesn't clip fiercely. Takes about two weeks to ship from China.

I've had good and bad experiences with the Sipik SK68 ($3.85 on the same website).  It has one mode.

PRO: A zoom feature that is surprisingly tight for such a small light (about a 10 foot square at 100 yards.) Tiny. Surprisingly bright for such a small light, especially in the zoom mode.

CON: Gets hot. Battery only lasts about 20 minutes. Quality control is spotty. Lots of companies make Sipik knock offs. Some are okay. Others are poor quality. 

I've had mostly good experiences with flashlights from FastTech. 

I just bought an O-light on Amazon. It was more than your $25.00 budget, but they have a broad range of models. I'm impressed with the quality so far and they included spare o-rings with mine and a nice case. I can't say how the durability is but it was recommended to me by a friend and he has had his for about a year with no problems.

• Admin Team

This one is AAA, but the ThruNite AAA Ti3 is hands down the best pocket EDC light I've used. For a sub $20 light, it's awesome.  I'm a light junkie, and have some expensive lights, but this is the one that is always in my pocket.

I replaced my old Maratac AAA after about 3 years when it finally gave out.  That was a great light, but the ThruNite is better.

Word to the wise:  Don't click on that Maratac link unless you're prepared to spend $50.  It will take you over to CountyComm, and that place has all kinds of stuff that you didn't know existed, but turns out you really need.

I use flashlights every day I probably lost more than I know.
there is a $20 model from pelican that works great with a nice soft click On the end
the other one is called a Larry light they sell them for about $10 at hardware stores gun shops in multiple places both of them work really well if I lose one it doesn't hurt as bad as losing a nice sure fire or other top-of-the-line flashlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!

This one is AAA, but the ThruNite AAA Ti3 is hands down the best pocket EDC light I've used. For a sub $20 light, it's awesome.  I'm a light junkie, and have some expensive lights, but this is the one that is always in my pocket.

I am going to have to try one of those.  I have never been crazy about the offerings from Fenix, 4sevens, etc when it came to the AA and AAA lights.

• Admin Team

I am going to have to try one of those.  I have never been crazy about the offerings from Fenix, 4sevens, etc when it came to the AA and AAA lights.

Yeah, if I'm going to walk the dog late at night, I'l grab the Fenix PD35 or Surefire LX2 so that I can literally burn the leaves right off trees if need be.  But, for everyday - I might need to crawl under a desk of check something on the grill - the ThruNite is where I go.  The low power mode is actually low enough that it really doesn't mess with your night vision.  Medium is about right for most stuff, and the high power mode is really bright for a AAA light.

5 years ago, we would have been happy with that performance from a $200 light.

I bought some of these cheap-o Chinese ones. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU546JO/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d99_g469_i3_ps

Still working fine after several months of occasional use. I keep them in places that I'll need a light, but not a life-saving one. Places like toolboxes, desk drawer at work, etc. I'd buy more if I needed them.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I carry a Fenix E12 everywhere I go. 130 Lumens on a single AA battery. Very small and easy to carry. It can be found for about $25 and is very durable. I have other larger Fenix and Streamlight lights and have been satisfied with each one so far.

I get one of these everytime I get one of these coupons and scatter them everywhere like my truck door pockets.  They are cheap and even with the included (cheap) batteries they last awhile.  If I ever break one, so what they were free, but have yet to break one.

free-flashlight-0815.jpg

I do have a few Surefires which are my go to light if I need to light up the neighborhood, and a bunch of Petzel headlamps for walking around outside but these little lights come in handy.

• Like 1

I picked up a JobSmart model at TSC that operates on 2 AAA batteries and has 3 an adjustable slide lens like a Mag Light and is incredible at 100 yards. I watch rabbits run around a neighbors back yard 3 doors down from my house with little problems. Cost was $7.95 with 2 batteries.

I bought some of these cheap-o Chinese ones. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU546JO/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d99_g469_i3_ps

Still working fine after several months of occasional use. I keep them in places that I'll need a light, but not a life-saving one. Places like toolboxes, desk drawer at work, etc. I'd buy more if I needed them.

I have one of those as well, fits in a pocket, and drives my dog nuts. She loves to chase lights. For occasional use I haven't had to change the batteries in six months or more.

New coupon, see if it shows up for you guys: http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=0516&campaign=b&page=free2.html&cust=61390236270&keycode=1025&single=true&main=true&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0516b&utm_source=1025&cid=mEmail_s1025_c0516b

Can't beat free, I have a few of these they have a strong magnet and a hook for hands free use: 

69567_zzz_500.jpg

Edited by Omega
My EDC light is a TerraLUX Lightstar 80. I bought it off the Cornwell tool truck a couple years back. It has a tough body. It's LED and runs off 2 AAA. Has a nice clip and even a rubber ring to bite down on to hold which is handy. It's only 80 lumens, not the brightest ever but it's in my pocket everyday. I have several high dollar lights but this one sure as hell is worth the money.

Terralux TLF-802AAA-BK LightStar 80 Penlight, Titanium Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052AHEVG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_trcTwbHV20APJ Edited by glowdotGlock

I recommend the Pelican 1910 or 1920. They are priced between $20 and $25. Great lights for the money. I have a few of each.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/tactical-dive-flashlights-headlamps/small-light/standard/1910/

They're AAA and 2AAA lights, but I love mine. They're small, great runtime on low (where I use it most of the time) and durable as heck. I did have to shim the batteries in my 1920 - they rattled enough to piss me off. A small slip of paper cut to a single roll fit in and stayed put. Now it's perfect.