Engraving SBR

It must be engraved before it is built, assuming its an SBR. Most people get it engraved before sending in their paperwork just in case something is wrong with the engraving.

I don't believe it's specified anywhere within the USC or CFR as to when the firearm must be engraved? Indeed, if the SBR were a complete firearm just being transferred rather than "made", I don't see how you could necessarily even have it engraved before the actual transfer were approved?

- OS

I was under the assumption that it had to be done before it was assembled as an sbr. I had my engraving done while I was waiting for the stamp. It sat in pistol form until I got the stamp.

edit: n/m i just seen where it said it wasn't a lower. 

Edited by tmauto769

I don't believe it's specified anywhere within the USC or CFR as to when the firearm must be engraved? Indeed, if the SBR were a complete firearm just being transferred rather than "made", I don't see how you could necessarily even have it engraved before the actual transfer were approved?

- OS

Yeah, I read both ways, no actual answer, that's why I asked.  irrelevant now though I'm going to get it checked out on Monday at that all things engraving place.  Said he does guns on Mon, Wed, & Fri

1 day turnaround time, was cheap too - not bad at all.

Told the guy that he needed to be a vendor here, would probably pull in some business, said that I found their name suggested in a random post somewhere and that's the only reason I knew about 'em.

• Like 1

You should not be able to spray paint over an engraving. There is a depth requirement, .003", and that is the minimum. If the laser is just etching the surface it is not considered a legal. And if you can spray paint over the "engraving" and it disappears it is likely not deep enough.

He sandblasts enameled surfaces because the machining can chip the edges of the paint.  Because of this, I wasn't able to get it marked on the front of the magwell (it's uneven from welds) and he said the stencil has to be perfectly flat.  We ended up putting it towards the back of the receiver towards the bottom.  He was aware of the requirements and says that he always goes beyond the requirement to eliminate any doubt.  You could spray paint this and it would still be deep enough to be legal, but since it's on the side, the spray paint would ruin the look.

Only thing is that it was a pain in the ass to clean all the material out of it - even though I had the stuff blocked off I still had to disassemble it to almost nothing to clean the sand out.

Edited by Sam1