UPDATE: TGO dogs for adoption!!

Sorry to hear all of this. I wish you well. I just went through something similar and had to make the difficult choice to put my best buddy down last week. It's heart wrenching.

We believe Kennedy had the canine version of ALS. I also found out he had two large tumors in his abdomen that were causing issues. He was 12 which is just above average for Weimi's.

I take solace in knowing he was loved and had a pretty incredible life for a dog. It's never easy, but I know I did what was in his best interest. I have no doubt you will do the same.
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear all of this. I wish you well. I just went through something similar and had to make the difficult choice to put my best buddy down last week. It's heart wrenching.

We believe Kennedy had the canine version of ALS. I also found out he had two large tumors in his abdomen that were causing issues. He was 12 which is just above average for Weimi's.

I take solace in knowing he was loved and had a pretty incredible life for a dog. It's never easy, but I know I did what was in his best interest. I have no doubt you will do the same.

Oh Hozzie! I am so so so sorry to read that!! My best boy was put to sleep 2 years ago this July, after 14.5 years he just couldn't do it anymore. He would have held on forever if he could, but I refused. We had a vet come over and it was very peaceful by the flower garden.

This little turd is different. He's little but he is a fighter through and through. Whatever is wrong, won't stop him. He's enjoying getting to sleep with us and his new special diet. I'm hopeful we can figure it out, but I'm prepared to send him to heaven if it just becomes too much. I don't believe in allowing dogs to suffer for our comfort. The thing is, with the loss of our girls, I just don't want to lose another one this year. That's the hard part. I'm so sorry to hear about Kennedy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I know what you mean. Keep us posted. Hope you and monkey have a great Easter !

We're staying home with the pups. I think we are going to miss the big celebration at our friends. However I will be making Ruebens so we won't suffer. There might be a trip to the vet today to help drain his bladder too. We'll see how he does. Thanks for your kind words. Happy Easter to you and yours!
  • Like 2
I don't know why or how but dogs have a way of healing us. I lost my old girl Licorice, 2 years ago on the fourth of july. I have no idea what breed she was (rescue) but I always called her the "durable black dog". She was 16 and had been going down hill quickly. Our younger dog Sage woke me at 4am to let me know she was in distress. He sat with us through the morning while we made arrangements to put her down. Afterward he took over all of "her duties" and helped us grieve and recover. Sage was a huge help to us and he was just doing what dogs do. He is now top dog in our pack of one, but we are planning on getting him another pack member this summer.

I know that your rescue pups will help you. What you are doing generates good karma!

Hozzie, I am very sorry for your loss
  • Like 1

I don't know why or how but dogs have a way of healing us. I lost my old girl Licorice, 2 years ago on the fourth of july. I have no idea what breed she was (rescue) but I always called her the "durable black dog". She was 16 and had been going down hill quickly. Our younger dog Sage woke me at 4am to let me know she was in distress. He sat with us through the morning while we made arrangements to put her down. Afterward he took over all of "her duties" and helped us grieve and recover. Sage was a huge help to us and he was just doing what dogs do. He is now top dog in our pack of one, but we are planning on getting him another pack member this summer.

I know that your rescue pups will help you. What you are doing generates good karma!

Hozzie, I am very sorry for your loss

I don't even know if I believe in Karma anymore. Feels like we've been kicked in the gut! And finding the birdshot in his pelvis yesterday. Oh I was so angry. It happened before Max and I found each other, but how dare whoever that was. We still have 2 fosters Red and Liz and I believe Liz has found a home, contract pending. So while there is good things happening and having the little babes around helps, it is still a bit painful. But I love that you name your dogs after food!! LOL I give all mine goofy human names!
I never thought of the food aspect... both were named by our kids. It's funny but I never noticed!

Trust that time helps karma. Just the fact that you have and still are giving Max as good a life as possible proves this. Where would he be today without you? Every dog I've ever had has given me many weeks or months of joy for every day of worry or grief. They are Positive influences in our lives.
  • Like 2
Well guys, the ultrasound was done. Max was sedated because he didn't want to cooperate. All of his organs looked fine, until they got to his heart. He has a mass inside of his heart on his left aorta. We don't know what that explains if anything. But we know that they can't operate on it.

We're lowering his dose of prednisone and we're going to continue with his immune therapy. His red blood cells are going back up which is good. We'll fight for him to keep him happy and comfortable but when the time comes, we'll do the right thing.

Sorry it wasn't better news. I have no doubt he will be well taken care of.

This is so bad. Monkey is busy researching the tumor. Meanwhile on the way home from the vet I stop and get Max a 10 PC McNuggets. Oops! So then we stop by so Monkey can see him while he's at work and he's like "Ok, so high protein, low sugar" double oops! LOL

I have some very healthy beef, bison, beef live, bison liver and other things in tube, it's pricey as all get out. That will be his main staple for now. But common! Once in a blue moon, after a kick in the stomach like that, you gotta have a treat!
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that about his heart. At least we know he is in good hands and comfortable . I have no doubt that he is taken care of .

Thank you! :) Apparently it's pretty rare. My vet and I talked about it on the phone but after hanging up I thought of more questions. One of the vets there took me back to review the ultrasound. Another vet followed because he wanted to see it. Max has always been special, but I never planned on this kind of special. It wraps around the aorta and then stretched down to the bottom part of the heart. It was very visible while the heart beat. Just a bummer day. Hence the McNuggets! :)
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I know most of you know about My Kasey and she is my best friend and has been for almost 16 years now but I want to show you one other best friend I had for 13 years and had to have him put down after he suffered a heart attack. Took him to my vet and after running a bunch of tests she discovered that his heart was enlarged 3 times it's normal size. My vet said his life was going to be day by day and  was no way of telling what his pain level would be so I had her put him down rather than have him suffer. I want to introduce my old lost friend. His name was Buttons.

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Douglas%20Lake%20Trip/Buttons_zps5whka5iy.jpg.html]Buttons_zps5whka5iy.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Douglas%20Lake%20Trip/buttons2_zpsvsuudz8s.jpg.html]buttons2_zpsvsuudz8s.jpg[/URL]

Me too Bersa, was he a Chinese crested terrier? I've always wanted one!

DT, we're doing well, thanks for asking! Cooper is doing really well. Worm free finally. So just shots and neuter needed. Liz and Red are about to hit 4 months old and they're so different yet similar! Kai, the sweetie we found on the road is battling a skin issue with antibiotics, antihistamines and I have to bathe her every other day for 3 weeks so she hates me right now.

We've had some applications for them so they might be leaving us soon. Depends on how they pan out. Fingers crossed!
  • 1 month later...

Well, we had an eventful weekend. We planned to buy a car for Monkey's mom this weekend. Saturday we went to the vet with our Labaweiner Max to get his blood checked (he's 12 and has an auto immune disease). Jack, the little foster was ill for the past two weeks and antibiotics weren't helping. They took X-rays and come to find out, the little guy had a major issue with his small intestine. It was causing a blockage by obstucting itself. 1 surgery and 3 days later we have a recovering pup and no car. LOL His chances were not the best but we went for it. I'm glad we did. A couple thousand later and he's sassy and rambunctious as ever! The every 2 hour feedings is the hard part. 7 days to go, wish us luck!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

Well, we had an eventful weekend. We planned to buy a car for Monkey's mom this weekend. Saturday we went to the vet with our Labaweiner Max to get his blood checked (he's 12 and has an auto immune disease). Jack, the little foster was ill for the past two weeks and antibiotics weren't helping. They took X-rays and come to find out, the little guy had a major issue with his small intestine. It was causing a blockage by obstucting itself. 1 surgery and 3 days later we have a recovering pup and no car. LOL His chances were not the best but we went for it. I'm glad we did. A couple thousand later and he's sassy and rambunctious as ever! The every 2 hour feedings is the hard part. 7 days to go, wish us luck!

I hope he does great.  I have great respect for you both on how you take care of your animals.  I wish there were more out there like you.  Best of luck in his recovery.:up:

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I hope he does great.  I have great respect for you both on how you take care of your animals.  I wish there were more out there like you.  Best of luck in his recovery.:up:

Thanks Hozzie, apparently we're just meant to have dogs that are worth more than cars and things. At this point between him and Max alone we could've bought a new tractor. LOL He's back to high energy puppy craziness so keeping him calm and contained is the main issue now. But I'll take that over him being ill!

image.jpeg