Night Hunting Coyotes

From the TWRA officers I've talked to, they don't like it.  Simply because it opens the door for deer poachers and makes it harder for officers to catch them.  I don't personally agree with this, I think guys who spotlight deer, do it regardless of whether we can hunt coyotes at night.  I was getting hog permits one year for hunt clubs leasing some land we managed and had the local TWRA officer ask if I would scratch out the part where it allowed them to hunt at night and over bait.  I told him, No, if you don't like the way the permit is written they have to change the permits.  

• Like 1

It's the same as deer I would assume, if you can show your local game warden the crop damage deer have done. You can get a 24/7 permit to get as many as you feel necessary. Deer around here are as thick as ticks, and my neighbor gets a deer permit every two years during the summer and kills 10-30 of them. But I've never heard of a case around here of anyone getting one of those permits for coyote damage? 

The reasons TN doesn't allow it might be viable but I think it's time to evolve. There's no question there is a coyote problem, they run at night. Common sense to me.

As far as a concern for poaching deer, that is an excuse that places doubt in Tennessee hunters, lack of trust. That to me is suspicious, sort of the same line as the streets turning into the Wild West because of open carry.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I went hunting last night for coyotes in Kentucky.  I don't think it would be a big deal in TN.  Then again I don't agree with too many game regulations besides maybe bag limits for critters and size limits for fish.  If I wanna hunt Elk with a cannon in June out at LBL I ought to be able to.  If I wanna hunt Coyote at night with flaming arrows, a loin cloth and a thermal scope with my buddy on the radio I ought to be able to.  Something about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness... 

• Like 1
Most hunting regs make sense to me, there are a few that do not though.

Hunting at night, for coyotes and other nocturnal species should be allowed. You don't see any issues with hunting coons and opossums around here, why are coyotes any different?

The whole baiting issue is another one, you are allowed to plant plots, put out salt blocks (non food based), and hunt around other food sources such as farm fields and fruit trees but can't hunt over a feeder. And the distance to a feeder has never been addressed. Having a neighbor put up a feeder can theoretically make your place illegal to hunt.
  • Like 1
The issue with night hunting as I see it is too many idiots who will have no idea what is behind where they are shooting. With Coons and Possom, they are using shotguns so less of a chance of issues with what's behind it.

The reg to a baiting site is 250 yards. Personally I feel if you have to bait, you aren't hunting. I have similar views about trapping (realizing it is legal) in snares. I think that is pretty shitty, but I know many do it.
  • Like 2
If someone is going to be irresponsible to hunt at night, they are going to be irresponsible during the day as well. If we don't trust hunters why not outlaw semi autos for hunting too? Geez!
Seems like the state is too cautious to me which is allowing overpopulation. I haven't heard any news lately of the coyotes getting pets but do remember some issues in Knoxville last year. Hopefully there won't be an increase.

The issue with night hunting as I see it is too many idiots who will have no idea what is behind where they are shooting. With Coons and Possom, they are using shotguns so less of a chance of issues with what's behind it.

The reg to a baiting site is 250 yards. Personally I feel if you have to bait, you aren't hunting. I have similar views about trapping (realizing it is legal) in snares. I think that is pretty ####ty, but I know many do it.

What, they don't allow .22 for racoon anymore?  I didn't realize they added the yardage thing, will have to look at the regs again to see what else I missed.

As for the idiots, those same idiots are out in the daytime.  Baiting is not really my thing, but I have put out feeders (one year, before my food plot took) during the off season and mineral blocks year round.  My issue was with the neighbor part,  my hunting land is only 8 acres and many deer come through, but it's not very wide.  So my neighbors can effectively put my whole hunting spot off limits if they so choose, even with the 250 yards rule.

• Like 1

Every year the TWRA asks for suggestions to current and future regulations.  I have written many times about just this very subject since retiring from the USARMY in 1998.  The TWRA will never evolve, but eventually the current leadership might just make it's influence a non-issue through retirement.  Common sense is lacking at all levels in the TWRA structure of leadership!

A clincher statement from one of my suggestions was something like this:  What Hillbilly, Redneck, or otherwise low life "coyote" hunter would ever want to face society, or his wife / spouse, after getting caught poaching deer with a $1000 rifle, $500 - $3000+ night vision scope, 24-48 hours in jail, and his / her vehicle and weapons confiscated too?

Either the TWRA just does not care, or they are too stupid to react to a species that is wearing out the Wild Turkeys, Deer, and anything else that isn't able to fight back, climb a tree, or hide from coyotes!

What, they don't allow .22 for racoon anymore?  I didn't realize they added the yardage thing, will have to look at the regs again to see what else I missed.

As for the idiots, those same idiots are out in the daytime.  Baiting is not really my thing, but I have put out feeders (one year, before my food plot took) during the off season and mineral blocks year round.  My issue was with the neighbor part,  my hunting land is only 8 acres and many deer come through, but it's not very wide.  So my neighbors can effectively put my whole hunting spot off limits if they so choose, even with the 250 yards rule.

It may still be possible to use 22's, I didn't give that much thought.  I was thinking more of centerfire rifles not being used for Coons, etc.  I have no issue with using 22's, although I do suspect many don't even give two considerations where even that bullet is going when they fire into a tree.

I guess I should also clarify a bit.  I am not against some temporary night hunting for those who have an issue with a coyote(s) on a farm where they are having issues, but I don't see the need for all out night hunting.  The same could go for any predator, fox, etc in those cases.  

Either the TWRA just does not care, or they are too stupid to react to a species that is wearing out the Wild Turkeys, Deer, and anything else that isn't able to fight back, climb a tree, or hide from coyotes!

What proof do you have of this?  I hear this a lot, but I don't see the numbers to back it up.  Seems we have a very healthy deer and turkey population.  It's a convenient argument when there are no facts to back it up or at least none I have seen.  I am not saying coyotes don't need to be hunted, but this argument that they are killing everything and it is hurting other populations is not apparent to me.  My buddies dad has a 600 acre cattle farm in Dekalb county and he can't recall a major issue with coyotes in the last 30 years. The same buddy has 35 acres just north of Columbia and there are more Turkey's that you can count most of the time within 100 yards of his house.   I just don't buy that Coyotes are killing everything.  Seems to me to be a pretty good balance right now.  

According to the TWRA 2015-16 hunting and trapping guide (paper version P16-18) raccoons are furbearers, so it's legal to hunt them with shotgun, rimfire and centerfire, with certain restrictions on shot size and times on centerfires (daylight only).  No FMJ either on centerfire.  Unless I'm reading the regs wrong, which is possible.  

It may still be possible to use 22's, I didn't give that much thought.  I was thinking more of centerfire rifles not being used for Coons, etc.  I have no issue with using 22's, although I do suspect many don't even give two considerations where even that bullet is going when they fire into a tree.

I guess I should also clarify a bit.  I am not against some temporary night hunting for those who have an issue with a coyote(s) on a farm where they are having issues, but I don't see the need for all out night hunting.  The same could go for any predator, fox, etc in those cases.  

What proof do you have of this?  I hear this a lot, but I don't see the numbers to back it up.  Seems we have a very healthy deer and turkey population.  It's a convenient argument when there are no facts to back it up or at least none I have seen.  I am not saying coyotes don't need to be hunted, but this argument that they are killing everything and it is hurting other populations is not apparent to me.  My buddies dad has a 600 acre cattle farm in Dekalb county and he can't recall a major issue with coyotes in the last 30 years. The same buddy has 35 acres just north of Columbia and there are more Turkey's that you can count most of the time within 100 yards of his house.   I just don't buy that Coyotes are killing everything.  Seems to me to be a pretty good balance right now.  

I don't know about DeKalb country, but here in Montgomery the coyote population has increased quite a bit.  It was rare to see or hear them a mere four years ago, now at my place I hear them darn near every night I am out there.  All we have to do is look at other places where the coyote population has grown exponentially to see instances of low game and the taking of pets, to know we don't want them to get out of control here.

I completely agree we don't want them out of control.  I just don't think there is any proof yet they are out of control.  I think our current regulations seem to have things pretty balanced.  If a time comes things do get out of balance, I am all for options to put them in balance.  We can hunt them all year now so I don't see night hunting being the magic answer is all.

• Like 1
They are eating something. My neighbors dog has brought home several deer legs in the last year. I'm guessing he is finding carcasses and picking up the scraps.

Yesterday I found some chicken feathers by my house, I don't have chickens but do have woods. The yotes are out here nearly every night as well, seeming right after sunset every time I hear em.
I don't know about the TWRA but do suspect the above post is right on target with them. Edited by Ugly

Glad to hear that you guys haven't had the problems we have with the coyotes, but on the 147 acres that three guys are hunting on over the last 10 years we have saw a major drop in Deer (Used to be able to kill about 3 each per year without hurting the population---now you are lucky to see a single buck or doe for an entire season), Wild Turkey (Used to be three flocks of 15-40 birds constantly moving around the farm and surrounding farms---I saw a single flock this last year with about 15 birds total, and no one killed a gobbler this year.  There hasn't been any changes in the property by humans for the entire 10 years other than cutting the hay.

What I have killed is two very large coy-dogs and another coyote this last year, and another guy shot at a bob cat that was traveling with a squirrel in it's mouth!  He missed.  I've been barked at numerous times moving towards my deer stands for the last few years, but the other guys fail to see why they should shoot a coyote while sitting in the deer stand hunting deer!  They may never "get" it, but I see the real issue on the property we hunt.  I'd be out there very often if night time hunting were legal in this state.

I have dogs.  They are part of my family.  My property is their property.  I should be able to eliminate a coyote at any time if they are trespassing on my property and a threat to my family.  If they are on my property, they are a threat.  Pretty simple.