Night Hunting Coyotes

When I moved here from Texas I asked my father-outlaw if he wanted to go squirrel hunting. I was shocked by his response, "We can't because they are not in season." I was even more shocked to know you couldn't hunt rabbit year round and it was regulated. The following animals are considered no-game in Texas and you can shoot them on private lands at any time and method you deem ok. Hogs are considered game, buy can be harvested at anytime with no limit.

Armadillos Bobcats Coyotes Flying squirrels Frogs Ground squirrels Mountain lions Porcupines Prairie dogs Rabbits Turtles

You can shoot in sight, bait, spotlight at night. I am not saying I agree with all of this, but I see no reason why some one could not take coyotes in their property. I also want to add that in my youth I shot many of these animals for sport, but I now have no desire to kill anything that I am not going to eat or is destroying property.
Since we are on the subject of coyotes...I'm up in Joelton, and they are all over here. Hear them around sunset and all through the night. My backyard is fenced in, I've shined the flashlight out the back window and seen them standing at the fence before.

I've got three dogs that I send out into the fenced yard and have started to wonder if a coyote would hop the fence...

Since we are on the subject of coyotes...I'm up in Joelton, and they are all over here. Hear them around sunset and all through the night. My backyard is fenced in, I've shined the flashlight out the back window and seen them standing at the fence before.
I've got three dogs that I send out into the fenced yard and have started to wonder if a coyote would hop the fence...

Sounds like a good excuse to get a crossbow ;)

Never let a good excuse go to waste :) Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

They do. We live in a very rural spot. We have a farm fence, 5' tall with 4" wood posts every 6 feet. It's 2"x4" metal wire. We let out our dogs one night last year and my Staffordshire, Gibbs and Shar Pei mix Chiquita caught up with it. Now we still hear them running the wood line in the back, but they've never been back over it again.

We didn't find blood, but we found its hair in both of their mouths and on the ground. They're very active here, I see them dead on 111 a lot. We've got a bobcat or three in the area behind us too. But we've never had issues other than the single fence hopper.

I live in a subdivision laden area within the city limits of Chattanooga not to far from Northgate. There are no real woods anywhere around us and have 4 lane highways on all sides. We also have coyotes. They have been seen by several neighbors and heard by even more people at night. Small pets have disappeared and the rabbits we used to watch every single day a couple of years ago are gone. Our neighborhood organization has had meetings and a TWRA officer came to talk. He verified that coyotes are in many subdivisions and neighborhoods all around Chattanooga. He said the TWRA does not do anything to eliminate them, but that we could hire a pro to come in and trap them if we wanted. The only predator this critters have is hunters. I've just bought a predator call this week and plan on taking up coyote hunting on the deer lease I hunt. It's hard to find an area of the lease that has no coyote tracks and the scat is plentiful. 

Either the TWRA just does not care, or they are too stupid to react to a species that is wearing out the Wild Turkeys, Deer, and anything else that isn't able to fight back, climb a tree, or hide from coyotes!

Coyotes have very little impact on those species. You want to raise a fuss about something? Get the pig regs changed. Wild pigs destroy thousands of Turkey, Quail and Duck nest every year. Eggs are like candy to them hogs! There's where the changes need made!

Dave

• Like 1

Coyotes have very little impact on those species. You want to raise a fuss about something? Get the pig regs changed. Wild pigs destroy thousands of Turkey, Quail and Duck nest every year. Eggs are like candy to them hogs! There's where the changes need made!

Dave

Why not both? While they may not take many adult deer, I bet they do put a dent in the population; it's just that we have a large amount of wildlife and ATM it's hard to see the decline.  In many places their effect has been felt, and at the rate we are going it won't be long for us to feel it as well.  And now we have cougars joining in.

If people can night hunt wild hogs, I don't see the problem with night hunting coyotes on private property.  People can also night hunt coons and possums.  I haven't seen quail in a long time and I often wonder if coyotes are part of the problem.  I can understand not wanting people to night hunt on public land.

Edited by 300winmag

Coyotes are the single biggest factor in fawn survival in this area, so they do make an impact on deer.....

No sir. What has a bigger impact is people letting their dogs run lose. Fido causes a lot of damage as does cats. The coyote takes a lot of blame for things. Don't believe me? Call the biologist for your region.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

No sir. What has a bigger impact is people letting their dogs run lose. Fido causes a lot of damage as does cats. The coyote takes a lot of blame for things. Don't believe me? Call the biologist for your region.

Dave

I have seen coyotes pull a fawn out of a mother during birth. Also if they will eat a chicken they will eat a turkey. They have a big impact on both. Maybe you ought to call the biologist. Dogs (coyotes) are higher on the food chain than deer and turkey so yes they will attack and eat them.
Diet

The coyote is highly versatile in its choice of food, but is primarily carnivorous, with 90% of its diet consisting of animal matter. Prey species include bison, deer, sheep, rabbits, rodents, birds, amphibians (except toads), lizards, snakes, fish, crustaceans, and insects. Coyotes may be picky over the prey they target, as animals such as shrews, moles, and brown rats do not occur in their diet in proportion to their numbers. More unusual prey include fishers, young black bears, harp seals  and rattlesnakes. Coyotes kill rattlesnakes mostly for food (but also to protect their pups at their dens) by teasing the snakes until they stretch out and then biting their heads and snapping and shaking the snakes. In Death Valley, coyotes may consume great quantities of hawkmoth caterpillars or beetles in the spring flowering months. Although coyotes prefer fresh meat, they will scavenge when the opportunity presents itself. Excluding the insects, fruit, and grass eaten, the coyote requires an estimated 600 g of food daily, or 250 kg annually. The coyote readily cannibalizes the carcasses of conspecifics, with coyote fat having been successfully used by coyote hunters as a lure or poisoned bait. The coyote's winter diet consists mainly of large ungulate carcasses, with very little vegetable matter. Rodent prey increases in importance during the spring, summer, and fall.

The coyote feeds on a variety of different fruits, including blackberries, blueberries, peaches, pears, apples, prickly pears, chapotes, persimmons, and peanuts. Other vegetable foods include watermelon, cantaloupe, and carrots. During the winter and early spring, the coyote eats large quantities of grass, such as green wheat blades. It sometimes eats unusual items such as cotton cake, soybean meal, domestic animal droppings, and cultivated grain such as corn, wheat, and sorghum, and beans.

Yes, they will take pets, sick or dying deer and young animals and birds on occasion. In urban and rural areas, road kill comprises a great deal of easily obtained food for the coyote and is on the top of their list as well as fruits and berries.

Some WMA's and Wildlife Refuges strictly control the hunting of coyotes because the coyote's impact is so minimal on the environment, that special regulations to control them are not warranted.

As far as hunting them at night even on private land is likely not to ever happen. For many reasons.

And Mr. Dane; I do talk to a biologist on quite a regular basis. FYI

Dave

• Like 1