Anyone successfully switched long gun shoulder side?

Djay3

In my case I have always shot from the right side being right handed. But, the astigmatism in my right eye is now far worse than my left eye. Plus I am naturally left eye dominant so I have always had to close my left eye when shooting right handed.

Being able to keep both eyes open while practicing shouldering and dry firing a red dotted rifle feels so nice.

Anyone tried this? In my case, it will be a 69 year old dog trying to make the switch. : / Edited by Djay3

It's only awkward feeling until you adjust to it but once you invest a bit of training time you'll do just fine. I honestly think its easier to shoot a rifle or shotgun from your weakhand or non dominant side then its is to shoot a handgun from the weak hand position. Just make sure the stock is a good fit and do enough dry fire practice to get your positioning in place.

• Like 1

I have the reverse problem.  I'm left handed, but have an astigmatism in my left eye that my contacts don't correct for, so I see better out of my right eye.   I switched over to right handed several years ago, both handguns and rifles.  I'll be honest and say I'm still a bit more comfortable holding both left handed, but I shoot just fine right handed.  I also still have to close one eye or the other, I've never put the time into shooting with both eyes open to be able to do it comfortably.  I don't have a particularly dominant eye so I typically see double if I don't close one eye. 

• Like 1

I switched shoulders when I joined the Army.  Throughout my childhood, I had always shot left handed (being a left handed person).  My drill instructor had an issue with another left handed shooter, who was not able to close his right eye, without closing his left.  He had him switch to right handed.  I had the same problem, but always fired with both eyes open.  Once I switched to "right handed" firing, there was no going back.  Your non-dominant eye can be trained to compensate.  It will take time, but it works.

• Like 1

I'm all kinds of messed up.  I'm right handed and left eye dominant.  A rifle instructor noticed this when I was a young boy scout earning my riflery merit badge and encouraged me to try shooting left handed.  I had my own .22 at that point that I shot a lot.  I continued to shoot left and right handed using both my left and right eyes depending on which shoulder I was shooting from.  I will say that I can acquire the target better when I'm shooting right handed with a scope as opposed to iron sights.  I can't tell you how many times I've switched shoulders and been able to bag a deer.  I never remember letting one walk because it was on the wrong side.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1

It's easier to switch shoulders with a red-dot / holographic / reflex sight when you can keep both eyes open.

That will be a nice perk if I can adjust. Using a red dot with my dominant left eye shut is just not right. I should have attempted this transition years ago just for that plus. Edited by Djay3
  • 1 month later...
My BIL had always shot right handed and was a decent shot. When he went to the police academy they tried him out lefty on a hunch. Ended up being SWAT DM left handed!
He doesnt do anything left handed but shooting handgun and long guns.
  • Like 1