Open Carrier Gets Robbed of His Gun

Weapon retention skills are fairly simple.  Cover the holster with your hands and tuck it into your body as best you can and use hard blows to the attacker's arms to keep them from gaining control.  Disarming techniques are more difficult and even highly skilled LEOs know it's difficult to disarm someone unless the conditions are ideal, thus disarming someone is considered an absolute last resort approach.   

Well there's a little more to weapons retention skills insofar as body positional movement and twists and disarming an opponent was generally a last result because you were going to get shot anyway. I actually got to tell the story about both afterwards and nobody got shot. One got a year in the gray bar hotel the other a bit less.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for bringing this subject up for discussion. Unfortunately, I suspect the people who need to be more aware are not TGO members and assume they are completely safe opencarrying even though they are unware of their surroundings.

If I'm playing poker, I don't tell my competitor what I'm holding before I lay them on the table.  If playing football, I don't announce what play I'm going to run before I run it.  I never saw the sense in open carry in an urban environment.  I would much rather be underestimated than an opponent know what my defense levels are and come at me prepared to meet the threat.  I also believe in the 1st amendment but after many years I have learned that just because I think it, and have a right to say it, doesn't mean that it should be said.  Same applies to the 2nd Amendment which I also strongly support.  You may be able to OC but it doesn't necessarily make it the smart choice in some environments.  There again, if I am in a populated area it doesn't bother me to see someone OCing because if an armed assailant goes active I know I am not the primary focus.

• Like 2

Of any place to OC in Virginia, Newport News isn't one of them along with Hampton and Norfolk.  I grew up in Williamsburg and worked in Newport News for a number of years. It's a place where when the street lights come on you go home basically. Guy picked the wrong neighborhood for this.

• Moderators

If I'm playing poker, I don't tell my competitor what I'm holding before I lay them on the table. If playing football, I don't announce what play I'm going to run before I run it. I never saw the sense in open carry in an urban environment. I would much rather be underestimated than an opponent know what my defense levels are and come at me prepared to meet the threat. I also believe in the 1st amendment but after many years I have learned that just because I think it, and have a right to say it, doesn't mean that it should be said. Same applies to the 2nd Amendment which I also strongly support. You may be able to OC but it doesn't necessarily make it the smart choice in some environments. There again, if I am in a populated area it doesn't bother me to see someone OCing because if an armed assailant goes active I know I am not the primary focus.

This
  • Like 1