Rubik's Cube

GlockSpock

• Moderators

So, the other day a buddy had a speed-cube. I commented on it and then I quickly realized that it wasn't just a prop for him; He was an expert. So much so that he solved the thing in 14.9 seconds in front of me. We talked a long while and I ended up ordering one. No need to brag, but I taught myself how to solve it in one evening!

During research, I found that the world record for a solve is under 5 seconds (I think about 4.9). Some of these people are amazing, memorizing 60 or more algorithms so that they can do they can save as much time as possible while doing the fewest amount of moves.

Me, I only had to memorize about 4 different algorithms to completely solve the thing by memory. It is very consuming, I'll solve it in about 2-3 minutes and then mess it up and solve it again. I've probably solved it 50 times or more by now.

Anyways, for those wondering what a speed-cube is, this is what I ordered:

http://amzn.to/1PUtbuP

41ztFdkQ3GL.jpg

The reason that these cubes are nice are because they are more loose than the original stock Rubik's Cube. This allows you to make turns without having the sides perfectly aligned, resulting in faster speeds. Also, they have springs inside and you can pop the center white piece cap off and tighten/loosen the tension.

I opted for this specific version because it is stickerless and thus the stickers will not peel after use. It is very well made and seems that it will hold up to extended use. I cannot believe I hadn't ever gotten around to learning this things. It has always been "one of those goals" but I literally tackled it in one evening and then had everything memorized the 2nd evening. I recommend one of these to any of you that haven't quite solved a Rubik's cube yet!

I haven't actually timed myself yet but it seems about 2-3 minutes tops. Anyone here any good?

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1

I only solved one ONCE.  It was just too hard to get all the stickers peeled off and back on there straight.  

Everyone knows the best way to solve was to pop one piece off and the things would fall apart then you could put them back together.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQMJx61kP0

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle
  • Like 5

Only 4 algorithms? Geeshh... Back in 1980 or 81 or whenever it came out and the craze started, it was like a 5 or 6 page cheat sheet full of moves. I think my fastest time back then was 7 minutes or so, with 10-15 minute average. (That's for the standard 3x3, not all those different funky styles that came out shortly after)

• Moderators

Only 4 algorithms? Geeshh... Back in 1980 or 81 or whenever it came out and the craze started, it was like a 5 or 6 page cheat sheet full of moves. I think my fastest time back then was 7 minutes or so, with 10-15 minute average. (That's for the standard 3x3, not all those different funky styles that came out shortly after)

Well, the top part comes intuitively to me as well as most people. I had already memorized the algorithm from years ago for middle layer edges.

Thus, all I needed were the ones for:

Yellow Cross
Yellow Edges
Yellow Corner Placement
Yellow Corner Arrangement

So 4 for me, but five or six if you have never messed with one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one for about 6 years. Gave up even after seeing videos. My 6 year old son has fun with it for a few minutes then gives it a toss.

Well, if you want to improve the fun factor, take it/them to the backyard or your nearest outdoor shooting range. I bet a center hit will be spectacular.  :D

• Like 1
All the problems in the world and these people devoted thousands of hours to make a dam Rubix cube robot?

Humans really have no idea what priorities mean. If I were smart enough to do anything other than menial labor, this wouldn't be very high on the list.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

All the problems in the world and these people devoted thousands of hours to make a dam Rubix cube robot?

Humans really have no idea what priorities mean. If I were smart enough to do anything other than menial labor, this wouldn't be very high on the list.

It's a great project, probably by a few college students but also possibly just tinkerers. It is perfect for exercising programming and logic, algorithms etc. All of which (the knowledge) can be applied in vast areas in life.

Why would you cast bullets if you can just buy them?!?!?!?

:koolaid:

• Like 3

It's a great project, probably by a few college students but also possibly just tinkerers. It is perfect for exercising programming and logic, algorithms etc. All of which (the knowledge) can be applied in vast areas in life.

Why would you cast bullets if you can just buy them?!?!?!?

:koolaid:

Yep.  Innovative "pure science" almost always reaps at least tangential benefits over time.

- OS

I took days at it  but solved it many times in the 80s as a kid.   I still remember rubick's maneuver ..  which solves a specific issue of 2 middle pieces being flipped.  Ive forgotten the rest but IIRC you can solve it by getting all the corners right then solve top and bottom and then the sides fall into place fast.   Or something like that.

Baby steps. This puts several pieces of robotics together. It visually collects patterns, analyzes them, determines the next appropriate action, performs that action, then repeats the process.

Someday we'll have things like surgical procedures that are perfect every time and are done faster than a human hand can move and by making fewer and smaller incisions, reducing risks and recovery time. Those kinds of advancements will be attributable to otherwise worthless projects like a machine that solves a kid's puzzle.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...