Revolver carriers sound off

With the Glock 42/43 being the hot carry gun there is not much difference now between power/capacity over a .38 snubby.  The one thing taught in many classes

is with auto  misfire/jam  tap rack slide    with revolver     "pull the trigger again"

Heard a story on the internet so of course it has to be true but I can see this happening. Guy has a hangfire on a revolver, pulls the trigger again and after the cylinder rotated and fired the new round the hangfire round decided to fire. That could be unpleasant.

Heard a story on the internet so of course it has to be true but I can see this happening. Guy has a hangfire on a revolver, pulls the trigger again and after the cylinder rotated and fired the new round the hangfire round decided to fire. That could be unpleasant.

Yeah, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do......also not many people who have been involved in a shooting say they wish they had a smaller gun or less bullets; per Tom Givens.

• 3 weeks later...

A J-Frame Smith either OWB or pocket carry. I have had several of my fellow HCP holders explain to me that I stand no chance against the ISIS battle group that inevitably assaults my neighborhood Walmart. Whereas, they with their neato double column semi-autos will be able to save the day by taking out the entire ISIS organization with two extra magazines of 9MM. This is based on their combat experience at some neat school at some pistol range. I spent a total of 60 months in combat in VietNam (4 Tours) with the USMC so I am in no position to question their superior logic.

I only need 5 shots to shoot the dumb SOB that goes looking for me and finds my hiding place.

Next time you tell them that Ricardo Tubbs of Miami Vice was in all kinds of shoot outs with a snub nose and he did fine. Of course, he also had a sawed off shotgun as backup but, the point still stands. ;)
  • 3 weeks later...

NAA Pug count? Sometimes in boot, sometimes IWB, sometimes in watch pocket of jeans...

I have one of the Pugs as well. I occasionally carry it as a secondary or as a primary when attire won't accommodate something bigger. Just recently put a new grip on it which helps tame those .22 mags. I really like the way it disappears into a pocket, sock, travel coffee cup, ect...
  • 2 weeks later...
S&W 340PD. Pocket carry....all the time. With practice you can achieve amazing results with these little fellas. I shot a bobcat at 27 paces a couple years ago. I'm good with only 5 rounds. My fists get me to my knife....my knife gets me to my gun....my gun gets me to my truck..... Hell fire and brimstone will follow.
  • Like 1

642 with Crimson Trace grips and a spare speed strip in my front pocket...depends on where I'm going, but this is the easiest setup I have for carrying.  To be honest, I've never carried that knife...I just put it in the photo to make it look cool, lol.  I normally carry a smaller Case knife.  B

IMG_3163-3_zpskzgpkd3t.jpg

IMG_3164_zpswldlubjs.jpg

Edited by Bassoneer
  • 2 weeks later...

My most often carried gun is a 642 in a pocket holster, usually with a speed strip for a reload.  Current carry ammo for it is Winchester PDX1 .38+P.  At first, I found that I was trying to convince myself I liked it despite how it slapped my palm with +P and despite how I really couldn't shoot it with that much consistent accuracy.  Then I realized that it wasn't the gun that was the problem but, instead, it was those vestigial, sorry excuses for grips that came on it from the factory.  Swapped those out for a set of Pachmayrs that are only slightly longer and slightly beefier (still fits in my pocket just fine but fits my hands much better) and it made a whole world of difference.  Best thing was I got the Pachmayrs from an Amazon Warehouse Deal for eleven bucks.  The package was open - in fact, it wasn't even the right package - but everything was there and in good shape.

I still carry semi-autos sometimes but have always liked revolvers better and am still a bit more comfortable with them.  I also feel more comfortable reloading ammo for revolvers.  I honestly haven't done that much reloading but what I have done has been .38 Special.  I have the stuff to reload for .44 Magnum, as well, and probably will get around to it, eventually.  I have a set of dies for 9mm that I bought used for a good price (and maybe a set of .380) but don't know that I will ever even fool with reloading for anything but revolvers.

Edited by JAB

I don't always pocket carry ( nor am I the most interesting man in the world or drink Dos Equis) but when I do.... I carry:

Smith 351c with CT laser grip and trigger job loaded with 7 rounds of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel + a speed strip.  Replaced a 351 with a hammer, I no longer carry.  Yeah I am a 22 mag revolver fan.

Actually one of the most comfy and reliable options I have found, no recoil and decent round count.  There is something about revolver that breeds confidence that it will simply work.  I've put loads of rounds through this with no problems...unless you shoot maybe 50-60 rounds quickly and the cylinder gets a little hot...sometimes, not always, can start to have sticky extraction problems.  Lets face it, that has no bearing on a DGU situation.

Yeah I know you can diss the round but I'm thinking that in most social situations outside the house it will work.   If I am at home and facing numbers, it just gets me to another option. 

I blasted some water filled milk jugs with the Speer Gold Dot .22 WMR ammo as well as the Hornady Critical Defense .22 WMR ammo out of both my NAA mini (1 5/8 inch barrel) and my Heritage Rough Rider (6.5 inch barrel.)  The Hornady was kind of disappointing out of the mini (didn't really 'expand' much - had some deformation on one side and that was about all - made it into the third jug) but did well out of the Rough Rider (fully expanded.)  I was very impressed with how the Gold Dot did out of the mini (fully expanded - in fact, looked just like the picture on the label - and was found stuck partway through the rear face of the third jug) and it did fine out of the Rough Rider (I remember that the Hornady did slightly better from the RR although I can't remember exactly how at this point.)  I now keep the mini loaded with Gold Dots and the Rough Rider loaded with the Hornady. 

The Rough Rider mostly does 'possum in the chicken coop' duty and will render even a big possum DRT with either a head shot or a behind-the-shoulder heart/lung shot - and possums are not easy to kill.  For comparison, I once shot a possum which was in the coop three times in the brain pan with .22 LR Stingers out of a 5 inch S&W .22A (trying to get it to die quickly and not suffer) and it still took it a while to finally die a much uglier death than I would prefer (which is actually the reason I bought the Rough Rider to begin with.)  I have never tried it but I imagine the NAA with the Gold Dots would do just as well as the Heritage with the Hornady. 

It isn't currently my first pick for a primary to carry for 'social situations' (although I do sometimes carry just the mini when nothing larger will do) but the .22 WMR - especially with ammo such as the Gold Dot - is IMO certainly more than 'just a slightly more powerful .22LR' as some people believe.  Throw in that many of the 'full sized' snubbies hold eight or nine rounds and there ain't a thing wrong with it, to my mind.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

A J-Frame Smith either OWB or pocket carry. I have had several of my fellow HCP holders explain to me that I stand no chance against the ISIS battle group that inevitably assaults my neighborhood Walmart. Whereas, they with their neato double column semi-autos will be able to save the day by taking out the entire ISIS organization with two extra magazines of 9MM. This is based on their combat experience at some neat school at some pistol range. I spent a total of 60 months in combat in VietNam (4 Tours) with the USMC so I am in no position to question their superior logic.

I only need 5 shots to shoot the dumb SOB that goes looking for me and finds my hiding place.

I think you would like this YouTube video from The Yankee Marshal.  It is a few years old so you might have seen it, before, but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suO8NSvXT2k

This one is pretty good, too, although I think his points apply to other revolvers in the same class and not just to the one, specific revolver he talks about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRnXOWBnCa4

Edited by JAB