AR10 Question

No, well not necessarily. You'll find that even parts that usually are comparable don't always work. Your are better off buying a complete gun. For instance, while PSA uses the DPMS pattern, DPMS pattern parts don't always fit or work. That's pretty true across the board. While their are two base platforms there is no standard like the AR 15.

That being said, if your are going to build, pick a platform and stick to it.

Bolts, carriers, barrels, barrel extensions, barrel nuts, buffers, buffer tubes, receiver takedown pins, gas tube length, gas block, upper/lower receivers fitment, and handguards can all be somewhat "proprietary" between manufactures.

Check out 308ar.com
  • Like 2

Should also add, AR10 is an Armalite only. What your are talking about is a 308 AR, I presume.

It's actually an important distinction, because Armalite AR10 parts are fairly proprietary.

Yep, so proprietary in fact that Armalite themselves make two versions of their rifles. The version which takes Armalite mags and the one that takes SR-25 mags.

SR -25 has pretty much become the 308 AR standard for magazines. It's the style that Magpul makes PMAGs for.
  • Like 1
Let’s agree that AR10 is the buzzword for a 308 AR, okay? (Because it is)

No, there is very little interchangeability because there is no standard. You need to watch that whatever you are buying the manufacturer states will specifically fit whatever you are putting it on.

Unless you just want the satisfaction of building one, I don’t think you can save any money over buying a complete rifle. No standard and not a big enough market keeps the prices up.
  • Like 1

No, there is very little interchangeability because there is no standard. You need to watch that whatever you are buying the manufacturer states will specifically fit whatever you are putting it on.

Unless you just want the satisfaction of building one, I don’t think you can save any money over buying a complete rifle. No standard and not a big enough market keeps the prices up.

I don't know about that, I've seen a PSA .308 AR built for under $800. 

NO, because it is not the same. It's the buzzword for 308 AR's like Glock is the buzzword for the media when referring to any handgun.:;) If you go looking for parts and search for AR10 but really mean 308 AR (DPMS Pattern) you will end up more confused and spend money on parts you won't be able to use. I can't tell you how much trouble I had trying to get the right gas tube length, not to mention the other confusion I ran into using "AR10" as a generic catch-all term. 

Yes, I'm considering a .308 in an AR platform. When buying a complete rifle, are there certain brands that I should consider over others? I assume future parts availability is something to consider, right?

I built up an Aero (DPMS) pattern 308 AR and really liked it. I spent far more than necessary building it because parts that were supposed to work didn't cooperate with other parts.

I am  seriously considering one of the G2 DPMS. Handles like a AR15. Again, parts are proprietary. I also am intrigued by the 308 Nextgen by AR15Performance.com http://www.ar15performance.com/308___260_nextgen_uppers

The Aero's are the way to go if you build one up IMO. They cooperate pretty well with DPMS pattern parts. However, their takedown pins are proprietary, slightly smaller than "normal".

The PSA's had quite a few problems when they originally came out. I think they have those cleared up, but something to be mindful of. Get a current version and it should be OK. I think they use a proprietary barrel nut as well.

• Like 1

What does everyone think of the Brownells and Aero Precision collaboration on the "308 AR 18" OEM Rifle"? It appears to be a complete rifle without the hand guard and buttstock and is selling for $999. Is this a good deal? There's an write up on TTAG about it right now.

I've been following GhstFace38's PSA build thread with great interest and I've thought about doing a build but I'm worried about the parts compatibility issue. I've built several AR 15s and the milspec standard makes it very easy and worry free in regards to parts.

What does everyone think of the Brownells and Aero Precision collaboration on the "308 AR 18" OEM Rifle"? It appears to be a complete rifle without the hand guard and buttstock and is selling for $999. Is this a good deal? There's an write up on TTAG about it right now.

I've been following GhstFace38's PSA build thread with great interest and I've thought about doing a build but I'm worried about the parts compatibility issue. I've built several AR 15s and the milspec standard makes it very easy and worry free in regards to parts.

Couldn't find the TTAG review or any other review, but read the description on Brownell's.  I would bet that it would be a good rifle.

This time last year I started on the path to build and AR-10 from the ground up.  I wanted to end up with something similar to an M110.  I did a lot of research on the subject at the time, and as other have said there are a lot of compatibility issues that you must be aware of.  In the end I could not get the build to work within my budget, which is due in part to my general lack of self control around anything that says match grade or precision.  I decide to take a chance and go with a PSA PA-10 by buying the upper and lower separately.  I started with a vanilla PA-10 lower $225, and then after some camping out on the PSA website picked up the upper.  You have to be patient to get what you want with PSA, and it took about a month for the upper I wanted to become available.   The 20" free float upper came with a 15" Midwest Industries Key-mod handguard, NiB BCG, and charging handle $689.  I added a 3 lb. Velocity trigger, CTR stock and MIAD-2 pistol grip $225, which rounded out the base rifle.  The gun has functioned flawlessly, and will group under an inch at 100 yards when I do my part.  I use the rifle for deer hunting and it will do everything that need it to.  Good Luck.

Up2snuff,

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/tyler-kee/brownells-partners-with-aero-precision-to-offer-oem-rifle That's the TTAG article. I'm leaning toward buying a complete or doing as you did and buying the upper and lower from the same company. Right now I'm looking at PSA and Aero Precision, to include the Brownells collaboration. Thanks for the advice.

Papajon,

Thanks for the link. The Aero Precision upper/lower sets would make a good looking build. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those options. I strongly suggest a good trigger, but you can always do that upgrade later. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papajon,

Thanks for the link. The Aero Precision upper/lower sets would make a good looking build. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those options. I strongly suggest a good trigger, but you can always do that upgrade later. Good luck.

I went with Aero and will let you all know how it turns out.  I may do a build thread too, just for the heck of it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Those Nemo rifles look great, but $7k is steep for my needs. If there is a demand for this platform more manufacturers will get in the game and prices will come down.

It will be tough to garner enough interest in autoloaders in high calibers.  A bit of a waste really, it's real tough to take advantage of a semi-auto when you have such a recoil. 

• Like 1