Regional based Forums.

I came from another area and we had Forums that covered parts of the state so people like me who live near Chattanooga didn't have to see ads about events in Nashville or Memphis unless it was a big enough event that the entire state would care.  

What I am suggesting is like 5 or 6 Forums for area related discussion and maybe a sub-form under that for local events.  It could be area related.  North Western TN, South Western, North Middle, etc. or we could just create forums around the 5 or 6 biggest city's / area's.  Example.  Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, TriCity, maybe Sevierville/Pidgin Forge/Gatlinburg area's.

That would help people on the eastern side of the state avoid talk to is more focused on the western side of the state.

What is everyone though on this.

PS.  I didn't seen anything like this requested in the first 3 pages of this forum.  I checked before posting.

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

I like to know what's going on all over the state personally, it's not that vast of an area.  You may have a point when it comes to the classifieds though.  How many times have we seen "you are on the wrong side of the state" posted in the comments of a listing?  If it were to be done West, Middle, and East would probably be acceptable, works with a lot of other things.  I-40 runs W to E nearly 400 miles across the state, of course the extreme NE corner isn't included in that, the state is roughly 100 miles N to S at any given point. Therefore when divided into thirds you have areas roughly 100x135 miles, which isn't a huge area.  For the purpose of the general forum though I like things the way they are.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

If you're posting for a regional event, you're welcome to title it appropriately - maybe leading with the City/Region in the title.  

We've got a bunch of members that will travel a couple of hours to events - training, gun shows, etc...

Truthfully, we favor more visibility as opposed to less.

• Like 3

If you're posting for a regional event, you're welcome to title it appropriately - maybe leading with the City/Region in the title.  

We've got a bunch of members that will travel a couple of hours to events - training, gun shows, etc...

+1 on McGyver's thoughts.  Read the header; decide if you're interested.  The event/item will determine how far I'll travel or work out the shipping issues.

+1 on McGyver's thoughts.  Read the header; decide if you're interested.  The event/item will determine how far I'll travel or work out the shipping issues.

Personally I have stopped following the events forum completely.  Where I live it is 2 1/2 to 3 hours to Nashville and 5 1/2 to 6 hours to Memphis there is very little change I will go to an event in either of those areas but most of the posting are for events in those area's.  Since those are the 2 largest city's in TN it makes since most of the posting would be for those areas.  So I miss the events that are happening in Knoxville and Chattanooga because I don't fell like filtering though all the Nashville / Memphis posts to find the diamond in the rough.  Does it mean I miss events I might have attended yes but it isn't worth spending time reading about an event that sounds like fun then look up the town and find out it is happening 4 hours away.  We all only have so much time we can spend reading TGO.  I am sure I am not the only one who no longer checks the events forum anymore.

As for general forums I am not suggesting any of them go away I am just suggesting creating ones that will allow people to focus in on things happening in their area's.  This might help TGO members to get to know the people in their area better since it would make room for more local topics that people inside their area would care about.  Tennessee might be a small state compared to some like CA and TX but it is still big enough that someone from one side of the state would need a hotel to visit the other side.

Personally I prefer the city / area approach and think the 5 major area's makes the most sense because for the most part if you do them on a map they divide the state overall pretty well.  Granted TriCity and Knoxville are kinda close together and the north western part of the state isn't really covered at all but doing it based on Western, Middle, and Eastern still means the area would be a 3 to 4 hour drive inside their regions for people but then again that is better then nothing.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle
I sort of understand the regional area for the classifieds but a way to fix that is to make it mandatory to have a location in your profile.

Ive had a few table flipping moments when seeing a great deal that was all the way in Knoxville or Tri Cities

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

While I understand the premise, I just don't think it is a big enough issue to solve it by having even more subforums.  I suspect most of us start with the "view new content" link.  That isn't going to help the issue.  I would recommend titles being more descriptive and profiles being up to date.  At least a general location should be available such as Middle, East, or West TN.  "Middle of nowhere" does no one any good.

• Like 3

I only use the "View New Content" feature so no matter how the forums are broken down I get a mix of posts.  As for posting in certain areas, it would be nice to include a location in the title some thing like: "Nashville - Glock 19 NIB".  Also, while it may be a bit funny to put "middle of nowhere" in your profile its hard to know where a poster is unless they specify.  A few ads I have seen it specifies local only but no location given;  though many do add where they travel for possible meeting places.

• Like 1

While I understand the premise, I just don't think it is a big enough issue to solve it by having even more subforums.  I suspect most of us start with the "view new content" link.  That isn't going to help the issue.  I would recommend titles being more descriptive and profiles being up to date.  At least a general location should be available such as Middle, East, or West TN.  "Middle of nowhere" does no one any good.

Yes, I've commented on this idea several times. It should, I think, be necessary to show a personal location, on your profile.
I don't mean something specific as a street address, but your local community, i.e., Nashville,, Tullahoma, Jackson, or whatever.

It just makes things easier in decision making for a purchase.

You can control what forum as included in view new content.  I already exclude several forums including the events.

Thanks

Robert