State Gun of TN

Pete123

I don't get the Barrett boners. It's awesome for what it can do, but it's not a very practical weapon for anything else and the weight of it is up there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk, because I felt that Oh Shoot wanted to know that particular bit of information.

Never know when you need to do a SMUD RSP for a 105mm that dudded out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I don't get the Barrett boners. It's awesome for what it can do, but it's not a very practical weapon for anything else and the weight of it is up there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk, because I felt that Oh Shoot wanted to know that particular bit of information.

The only reason it's being discussed is because we're talking about what the TN Weapon should be...considering its made here and happens to be one of the baddest rifles on the planet, it just kind of fits the conversation.

Edited by tennesseetiger
  • Like 2

Since we're the "patron state of shootin' stuff", we should leave no doubt that stuff's been shot :rofl:

Plus what Tennesseetiger just said :)
  • Like 6

Because it is 100% pure Tennessee, made in Tennessee, invented by a Tennessean and it's just bada$$ and liberals hate it. The Barrett is Tennessee all the way. I can't understand anyone who would think of choosing anything else.

• Like 2

I guess having had a Barrett in the unit arms room and seeing it be little more than a four-foot long paper weight makes me kind of jaded about it.  If we're seriously talking about a state firearm, it should be one that has been carried by a lot of people, or has done great things.

I'm casting my ballot for the M1's or M1917's that were used in the Battle of Athens.

• Like 1

Did you read some of the comments from that Nashville Scene article? It's got their liberal readers peeing in their panties over it. That's another good reason to honor the Barrett.

There are some definite wacko's writing some of those comments.

• Like 1
My boss used to own an M82. Nice rifle. I never liked the recoil operation though. And having to break it down for storage so those 2 monster springs don't take a set and get weak. I never tried to shoot it from a standing position, but I did several times with an AR50. Ya know, just to prove to newbies that it wouldn't 'kill' them from the recoil.

I never tried to shoot it from a standing position, but I did several times with an AR50. Ya know, just to prove to newbies that it wouldn't 'kill' them from the recoil.

Not that they are "soft shooters", but.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAW3dlTMv6g

:)

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I guess having had a Barrett in the unit arms room and seeing it be little more than a four-foot long paper weight makes me kind of jaded about it.  If we're seriously talking about a state firearm, it should be one that has been carried by a lot of people, or has done great things.

I'm casting my ballot for the M1's or M1917's that were used in the Battle of Athens.

Yeah well... your argument lost.  "Get over it."

:rofl:

• Like 2

Ehh, least I'm on the winning side side of the ones that matter.   ;)

Well, your choice was more popular than mine.  There wasn't anyone who was with me on making the SKS the state gun. :angry:

Personally, I would be with you on going with the old ones.  

Unrelated to either of our comments, I'm very appreciative of what Ronnie Barrett has achieved.  He had a big impact on development of a really important weapon of war - the sniper rifle.  Also,  I suspect that his success primed the pump for a lot of the firearms companies that are here or coming here.

Winning side of what/who? Did you root for the Broncos or something?

I lost that one too. :(  Didn't bet on it, just bragging rights.

Nah he votes for Bernie [emoji708]

If I was voting tomorrow, possibly.  If we're still going to have a Republican Congress, I'm inclined to want a Democratic President not named Hillary to avoid one party rule.

Unrelated to either of our comments, I'm very appreciative of what Ronnie Barrett has achieved.  He had a big impact on development of a really important weapon of war - the sniper rifle.  Also,  I suspect that his success primed the pump for a lot of the firearms companies that are here or coming here.

I think the original M82 and it's follow on variants filled a small but relevant need for a sniper rifle that could do more than pick off personnel.  It was definitely a unique approach, even if it's not really practical for dismounted sniper teams, which is where the bread and butter of the trade is.

I can also appreciate that he is part of the Tennessee economy in a positive way.

I think the original M82 and it's follow on variants filled a small but relevant need for a sniper rifle that could do more than pick off personnel.  It was definitely a unique approach, even if it's not really practical for dismounted sniper teams, which is where the bread and butter of the trade is.

I can also appreciate that he is part of the Tennessee economy in a positive way.

btq,

Most of the time you assert arguments which you can defend well.

In this case I'm not convinced that is the case this time.  

First, to make sure we are communicating clearly, I read the above interchange to infer that you are saying that Barrett Firearms isn't a significant force in the world of sniper rifles.  I have to strongly disagree.

I do have to admit that I don't have the military knowledge you have, though here is my thinking:

Barrett was founded in 1982.  At that time standard sniper rifles would have been along the lines of the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, 1903 Springfield and the M1 Garand.  I would expect max effective range to be roughly 800 meters with those.

Ronnie Barrett dreamed big and came out with the first 50 caliber sniper rifle. I should mention that Ronnie was a photographer for a living.  He saw a military boat downtown with twin 50s and from that developed his dream.  Everybody and their brother told him it couldn't be done.  His background as a professional photographer didn't boost his case, yet he perservered.  

First point:  I assert that his work had a significant impact on the development of long range sniper rifles - with a range of 1500-2000 meters.  Barrett also works on scopes and sighting instruments and I'll bet they have contributed to accumulated knowledge there are well.

Next point:  The Barrett rifles aren't best in all cases.  While conceding that Remington 700 class rifles may be the bread and butter, there is still a need for longer distances, anti material shots and shooting bad guys that are behind walls, etc....

I'll argue that Barrett has pushed competitors to improve and come up with better guns.

You do acknowledge that Barrett has been positive for our economy in middle TN.  I think their impact may move past positive to significant.  I'm betting that military officials became used to traveling to middle TN to see Barrett.

We Tennesseans love our guns and Barrett provided a rallying point for conservative politicians in the area of gun manufacturers.  This has made TN popular for firearms industry facilities.  In addition to Barrett, we now have Beretta, Military Systems Group, and an ammunition manufacturing plant on the way to the tri cities. I think we have some ammo companies that are pretty big.  Lucky Gunner over in Knoxville is certainly coming on strong.