State Gun of TN

Pete123

btq,

Most of the time you assert arguments which you can defend well.

In this case I'm not convinced that is the case this time.  

First, to make sure we are communicating clearly, I read the above interchange to infer that you are saying that Barrett Firearms isn't a significant force in the world of sniper rifles.  I have to strongly disagree.

I do have to admit that I don't have the military knowledge you have, though here is my thinking:

Barrett was founded in 1982.  At that time standard sniper rifles would have been along the lines of the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, 1903 Springfield and the M1 Garand.  I would expect max effective range to be roughly 800 meters with those.

Ronnie Barrett dreamed big and came out with the first 50 caliber sniper rifle. I should mention that Ronnie was a photographer for a living.  He saw a military boat downtown with twin 50s and from that developed his dream.  Everybody and their brother told him it couldn't be done.  His background as a professional photographer didn't boost his case, yet he perservered.  

First point:  I assert that his work had a significant impact on the development of long range sniper rifles - with a range of 1500-2000 meters.  Barrett also works on scopes and sighting instruments and I'll bet they have contributed to accumulated knowledge there are well.

Next point:  The Barrett rifles aren't best in all cases.  While conceding that Remington 700 class rifles may be the bread and butter, there is still a need for longer distances, anti material shots and shooting bad guys that are behind walls, etc....

I'll argue that Barrett has pushed competitors to improve and come up with better guns.

You do acknowledge that Barrett has been positive for our economy in middle TN.  I think their impact may move past positive to significant.  I'm betting that military officials became used to traveling to middle TN to see Barrett.

First key point...the Barrett isn't a sniper rifle in the traditional sense.  It was built and is fielded as an anti-material rifle.  Yes, it's been used to take out personnel, but that's a secondary purpose.  The main purpose of the Barrett, is the ability to punch through light armor and other protection.  You talk about the ranges between the Barrett and the other guns, but when one guns target is a person, and the others is a vehicle (or something else much bigger than a person), then you need to talk about target size/range comparison.  I'm sure there is a math formula to make it even, but I'm not in a math mood at the moment. :P

Second...the Barrett isn't alone in .50BMG precision shooting, and it's far from the undisputed winner.  The McMillan Tac-50 is every bit as good, more portable, and better from a precision shooting standpoint.  Also, see a recent entry at the end of the last point below for another model.  As to the innovation of it, yeah, Barrett got there first by creating a rifle that could fire the .50BMG round.  But being first and getting some good contracts by virtue of that doesn't make a legend, IMO.

Third...I sort of hit this, but feel it bears going over again.  No sniper team is useful unless they can operate dismounted for extended movements (five kilometers would be a minimum in my book).  If anyone thinks that lugging 29lbs worth of Barrett rifle on top of a rucksack that is already filled with up to 100lbs of the lightest gear ever invented is practical, then I guess I can't convince you, so I'll just leave you with the words of Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle (RIP), who I would submit was, before his death, somewhat of an expert about these things.  This is what he had to say about our apparent state firearm:

The fifty is huge, extremely heavy, and I just don’t like it. I never used one in Iraq. There’s a certain amount of hype and even romance for these weapons, which shoot a 12.7 x 99mm round. There are a few different specific rifles and variations in service with the U.S. military and other armies around the world. You’ve probably heard of the M-82 or the M-107, developed by Barrett Firearms Manufacturing. They have enormous ranges and in the right application are certainly good weapons. I just didn’t like them all that much. (The one .50 I do like is the Accuracy International model, which has a more compact, collapsible stock and a little more accuracy; it wasn’t available to us at the time.)

Ronnie Barrett had a vision, though.  I'll give him that.  Others have just taken his first step and ran with it, however.  So, as cool or fun as the M82/M107 is...it's kind of a 'meh' thing for me when all of the other factors are weighed against it.

• 2 weeks later...

First key point...the Barrett isn't a sniper rifle in the traditional sense.  It was built and is fielded as an anti-material rifle.  Yes, it's been used to take out personnel, but that's a secondary purpose.  The main purpose of the Barrett, is the ability to punch through light armor and other protection.  You talk about the ranges between the Barrett and the other guns, but when one guns target is a person, and the others is a vehicle (or something else much bigger than a person), then you need to talk about target size/range comparison.  I'm sure there is a math formula to make it even, but I'm not in a math mood at the moment. :P

Second...the Barrett isn't alone in .50BMG precision shooting, and it's far from the undisputed winner.  The McMillan Tac-50 is every bit as good, more portable, and better from a precision shooting standpoint.  Also, see a recent entry at the end of the last point below for another model.  As to the innovation of it, yeah, Barrett got there first by creating a rifle that could fire the .50BMG round.  But being first and getting some good contracts by virtue of that doesn't make a legend, IMO.

Third...I sort of hit this, but feel it bears going over again.  No sniper team is useful unless they can operate dismounted for extended movements (five kilometers would be a minimum in my book).  If anyone thinks that lugging 29lbs worth of Barrett rifle on top of a rucksack that is already filled with up to 100lbs of the lightest gear ever invented is practical, then I guess I can't convince you, so I'll just leave you with the words of Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle (RIP), who I would submit was, before his death, somewhat of an expert about these things.  This is what he had to say about our apparent state firearm:

The fifty is huge, extremely heavy, and I just don’t like it. I never used one in Iraq. There’s a certain amount of hype and even romance for these weapons, which shoot a 12.7 x 99mm round. There are a few different specific rifles and variations in service with the U.S. military and other armies around the world. You’ve probably heard of the M-82 or the M-107, developed by Barrett Firearms Manufacturing. They have enormous ranges and in the right application are certainly good weapons. I just didn’t like them all that much. (The one .50 I do like is the Accuracy International model, which has a more compact, collapsible stock and a little more accuracy; it wasn’t available to us at the time.)

Ronnie Barrett had a vision, though.  I'll give him that.  Others have just taken his first step and ran with it, however.  So, as cool or fun as the M82/M107 is...it's kind of a 'meh' thing for me when all of the other factors are weighed against it.

The Barrett .50 Cal. State Rifle Of Tennessee.

We win, you loose.  NAA  NAADEE NAAA NAAA.   :biglol:  :bowrofl:  :clap:  :no1:  :usa:  :rofl:  :rock:  :up:  :cool:  :woohoo:  :taunt:  :tough:

• Like 3

This crap makes me chuckle a little bit, if it weren't so sad. Seriously? How about we have a state cupcake or a state automobile. What about a state color? Mouse Trap can be the state game. Lets see, what other ridiculous things can our legislators waste their time on? How about getting rid of the signs have the weight of law issue? Maybe get busy on getting rid of  permits to carry. How about they do something meaningful? We actually pay them for this stuff? OMG.

One thing this does and the main reason i'm all for having a state gun is that it makes a "statement" to the people of Tennessee and the country that Tennessee and Tennessean's are pro-2nd Amendment. Read some of the comments posted in the Nashville Scene article Oh Shoot posted, control freak liberals hate it. Passing this sends a message to them pretty much saying Tennessee is a pro-gun state, don't like it then move to California. I know there's a lot more legislation we would like to see passed but i'll keep saying it, Tennessee is far far better than many states when it comes to the 2nd. Amendment, just write your Reps to improve the laws. I bet many people complaining have never even emailed their Reps once. Personally, I think it's a proud moment to officially have a state gun and another reason I think the Barrett was a good choice is because it's one of the most controversial guns which makes the statement even stronger.

I think i'll email Ronnie Barrett and congratulate him and give him an idea for another business opportunity, M82 Tennessee State Rifle T-shirts and hats. And he owes me one of each for the idea.  :)

Edited by K191145
  • Like 4
I'm glad the m82 rules. Since middle tn has been flooded w the west coasters and their traffic and the rest of the BS they brought I am stoked we have a state gun. If the penile inhaling populous doesn't like it move back to LA or Or gizzville wherever your candy sissy ass came from! Gotta love Christiana's finest!!!!
  • Like 2

I don't do FB, nice to see it stirring up controversy...lol
Here's my flagpole of pure awesomeness..2012-05-02_17-10-55_963_zpsd9a56705.jpg
Word on the street if you buy a 82/107 at the Outpost and want your case signed Ronnie will come over and say hello...

I'm sure he would for a $10k+ sale.

I have heard the same thing though.

I am still stuck on the bayonet topic. Is anyone going to get close enough to a shooter of a Barrett that the shooter would need an 18 inch blade sticking out of the lower end on the barrel? ............just a humble question?

I started this thread saying that the state gun should be an SKS.  Of course I was joking.  Anyway, as we were having fun with it, someone suggested that perhaps the Barrett would be more palatable to me if it were to have a bayonet, which I agreed with heartily.  

In short, the part about the bayonet was a joke.

• Like 1

I started this thread saying that the state gun should be an SKS.  Of course I was joking.  Anyway, as we were having fun with it, someone suggested that perhaps the Barrett would be more palatable to me if it were to have a bayonet, which I agreed with heartily.  

In short, the part about the bayonet was a joke.

There is an old tale (not sure if it's true, or just rumor) that when Chesty Puller was watching a flamethrower being tested he asked "where do you put the bayonet?"

Some people just like having them is all. :P   And there isn't anything wrong with that.

There is an old tale (not sure if it's true, or just rumor) that when Chesty Puller was watching a flamethrower being tested he asked "where do you put the bayonet?"

Some people just like having them is all. :P   And there isn't anything wrong with that.

Because after you run out of ammo, or gasoline, you need a sharp stick.  :)

Yall really need to get on FB and read the angry libs crying...here is a sampling

a2b6d1707d40b1feb1539686d0ad7149.jpg

84294be8cb332b3bb4169baf461a22bf.jpg

e64b896bd3fdd8e2c57f5ae68c034ccc.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Someone needs to tell little girl Karen Roberts to do a little research like a quick Google search then she will learn that James Earl Ray was born in Illinois and spent very little time in Tennessee. He was not a Tennessean unless you count the years in Brushy Mountain Penitentiary. 

Well, show me a gun that isn't way cooler with a bayonet on it.  Fact is, we know that God meant to rifles to have bayonets as he saw to it that the SKS has a non removable one.

Speaking of flame throwers:

49ff65f32b5e7c65adb9528c823a7e9a.jpg

• Administrator

To our Administrators,

If it has not already been suggested and decided upon may I suggest we have an image of the TN state gun on the header of our website.

Eh... no.   :)

I like the Barrett rifle as much as anyone else, I suppose, but this whole thing seems kind of silly to me.  The Barrett family are good folks and I admire the entrepreneurial spirit that brought forth this iconic rifle, but at the same time part of me wonders how many tax dollars were consumed in man-hours alone to make this the "Official Rifle of Tennessee" and what other things could have better been accomplished with those same resources.

I'm sure he would for a $10k+ sale.

I have heard the same thing though.

If he is in town, he will.  Ronnie is a super nice guy, and always up for a conversation about guns, cars, or cameras.  

He's a businessman and will get whatever he can for his product.  

Eh... no.   :)

I like the Barrett rifle as much as anyone else, I suppose, but this whole thing seems kind of silly to me.  The Barrett family are good folks and I admire the entrepreneurial spirit that brought forth this iconic rifle, but at the same time part of me wonders how many tax dollars were consumed in man-hours alone to make this the "Official Rifle of Tennessee" and what other things could have better been accomplished with those same resources.

He married a former state House rep, so that is probably the reason for the push.  

Its a silly waste of resources, but Ron Ramsey sent $500k to Virginia for a museum project a few years ago and nobody batted an eye.