Experience with 7.62x39 AR uppers?

KKing

Specifically PSA stuff?

I'm at a point where I want to add an upper to do some hunting with. My hunting is deer under 150 yards and hopefully this year a piggy or two. I wanted to build a AR10, but with having the baby I don't see it happening this year. 300BLK is out because I shoot quite a bit and I'm not reloading yet, and really in subsonics I don't see their merit in this case ballistics wise. I also want a semi auto, and have no desire for an AK. I have a Saiga in 223 and while I respect AK's, they just don't do it for me. So, here I am...looking at "banana" mags and thin walled bolts and reading inter web horror stories of misfeeding nightmares. I know I need a slightly longer firing pin and a extra power hammer spring wouldn't be a bad idea. Has anyone ever had a x39 upper, and if so was it so bad you threw it in a river and washed your hands of it? Edited by KKing

Hunting, go with 6.8.

Although it is probably out because of ammo cost the same as .300BO.

Won't really count it out, although you are right on price. I just thought if I could get the added benefit of shooting cheaply it would rock. I've been hunting with 223. While I've taken deer with it, I honestly would just like more punch.

If staying in AR platform and since cost is the concern...I personally would do 300blk same reliable parts and since you are using it for hunting only the cost of ammo is mute point unless you shoot a lot deer and pigs :)..

Plus you can get a suppressor later and reloading equipment and have some real fun with subsonic ammo....That is what I did:)

Edited by justincase
  • Like 1

If staying in AR platform and since cost is the concern...I personally would do 300blk same reliable parts and since you are using it for hunting only the cost of ammo is mute point unless you shoot a lot deer and pigs :)..

Plus you can get a suppressor later and reloading equipment and have some real fun with subsonic ammo....That is what I did:)

Been through it with 300BLK, we started seeing other people. I shoot what most people would say is between a $hit load and a f-ton. I don't let guns sit around that don't get shot, it bothers me. That's why me and 300BLK had to break up. I do hear ya on the fun of the subsonics, but I have one in 22lr for suppressor fun.
I have never heard of a 7.62x39 AR mag over 10 rounds that feeds reliably. For cheap ammo, it doesn't get cheaper or close really that 7.62x39 or 5.56. Aside from .308 surplus I don't think there is an answer to your question of cheap ammo and sufficient punch without reloading in the AR platform.

Maybe look at one of the new ARs out that take AK mags?

Hunting rifles usually don't have very many rounds put through them at all really. Right tool for the job and all that ;)

If I absolutely had to have an AR in 7.62x39 it would be the CMMG Mutant. They eliminate the two weak points of an AR in 7.62x39. First, it uses standard AK magazines and second it uses a much larger bolt head. If I remember correctly it is a 308 Winchester sized bolt head which is way better than a 5.56 sized bolt that has been machined for 7.62x39.

I have owned several 7.62x39 ARs and I never really had any problems but they were not used a lot either. They were used for experimentation more than anything.

• Like 2

If I absolutely had to have an AR in 7.62x39 it would be the CMMG Mutant. They eliminate the two weak points of an AR in 7.62x39. First, it uses standard AK magazines and second it uses a much larger bolt head. If I remember correctly it is a 308 Winchester sized bolt head which is way better than a 5.56 sized bolt that has been machined for 7.62x39.

I have owned several 7.62x39 ARs and I never really had any problems but they were not used a lot either. They were used for experimentation more than anything.

Agreed on the mutant. Unfortunately at it's price tag I guess I would have to go 308 in an AR10. I'm not really in love with 7.62 but I thought if I were to build a 30 caliber upper I would enjoy the added benefit of shooting it cheaply. Who knows. I suppose there's always import bans to think about with cheap commie ammo. I do love a challenge and cheap ammo, so I'm pretty torn

I've not had any experience with any but this video came to mind. Matt from Demolition Ranch shooting the piss out of a "POF" rifle. He has only good things to say about it.

https://youtu.be/48ROQ0E4bHA

That looks like pure fun to me! Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
How about a mini 30? Besides a few issues with firing of the berdan primers from the com blok counties it seems to be fine. A polish of the bolt face seems to remedy that issue. Just a thought, however, some mini 30's aren't cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one. I bought the complete upper when PSA had them for $399 with 16' barrel, bcg etc.  I searched the internet for who recommended what mag, picked up a few C Products, and couldn't be happier. I use 10 rd. magazines for hunting, but I've shot C Product 30 rounders (27) with no problems. I've built a .300 first, but never was really happy with less than .30-30 ballistics.  7.62x39 ain't a big step up from .30/30, but it's a damn site easier than .300 blackout.  

Edited by 79troublehead

I had a 7.62 AR, Terrible decision. The stock firing pin is to narrow to reliably fire 7.62 ammo. Swapped it out with an enhanced and it corrected the problem. If I fired any cheap ammo it would jamb up after about 90 rounds. The Magazines that were on the market are very unreliable and expensive. I have to second the get an AK or SKS if you want to shoot that round

I've got one. I bought the complete upper when PSA had them for $399 with 16' barrel, bcg etc. I searched the internet for who recommended what mag, picked up a few C Products, and couldn't be happier. I use 10 rd. magazines for hunting, but I've shot C Product 30 rounders (27) with no problems. I've built a .300 first, but never was really happy with less than .30-30 ballistics. 7.62x39 ain't a big step up from .30/30, but it's a damn site easier than .300 blackout.

You sir are my hero! Thanks for giving me a tiny bit of hope

I own both, 300blk and 7.62x39 ARs. My X39 is a green mountain barrelled upper I built. It is 100% reliable, I use new generation ASC and C products mags(known a J mags, will fit AR mag pouches). I reload, but for the x39, all I run is cheap steel case and that's what I built it for. Some folks have issues, a lot is secondary to crap steel cases ammo, crap bolts(bolt thrust is an issue), incorrect firing pins, weak extractors, mags,etc....
I have no experience with the PSA x39stufff, but everything else I've gotten from them has been good. I used a rubber city armory 7.62x39 bolt and a red x enhance firing pin,zero issues. Got close to 1k through it to date. Sometimes it's nice to pick up ammo and just shoot and not to have to reload it .e83ee36ab3f5ff42f4f1695f5c7ece2f.jpg
I think you need to decide what's more important, supersonic hunting or subsonic fun. If I wasn't heavily invested in subsonic shooting and needed a light and capable rifle that'll take deer out to 200-ish yard, the x39 would have been the easy choice. Not to mention, it has 150-200fps advantage over 300blk with full house 125grn loads. The above 16" rifle clocks Tula black box right at 2400fps.

Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 1

I own both, 300blk and 7.62x39 ARs. My X39 is a green mountain barrelled upper I built. It is 100% reliable, I use new generation ASC and C products mags(known a J mags, will fit AR mag pouches). I reload, but for the x39, all I run is cheap steel case and that's what I built it for. Some folks have issues, a lot is secondary to crap steel cases ammo, crap bolts(bolt thrust is an issue), incorrect firing pins, weak extractors, mags,etc....
I have no experience with the PSA x39stufff, but everything else I've gotten from them has been good. I used a rubber city armory 7.62x39 bolt and a red x enhance firing pin,zero issues. Got close to 1k through it to date. Sometimes it's nice to pick up ammo and just shoot and not to have to reload it .e83ee36ab3f5ff42f4f1695f5c7ece2f.jpg
I think you need to decide what's more important, supersonic hunting or subsonic fun. If I wasn't heavily invested in subsonic shooting and needed a light and capable rifle that'll take deer out to 200-ish yard, the x39 would have been the easy choice. Not to mention, it has 150-200fps advantage over 300blk with full house 125grn loads. The above 16" rifle clocks Tula black box right at 2400fps.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I already planned on getting an extended firing pin and quality bolt. Likely get an extra power hammer spring as well just in case. The subsonic aspect in a 30 caliber isn't important to me at all, at least not in this weapon. All I want in this gun is something I can take hunting to keep from taking a 223, and I love the added benefit of being able to shoot it cheaply. If I can get a x39 upper to run reliably I'm in.i went ahead and ordered some of the CPD mags, worst case scenario I can sell them. I think I'll end up going with the Green Mountain barrel just as you did. Thanks man Edited by KKing

I have one in x39 as well.  I even used it for almost a year when I started 3-gun.  Obviously I would not have done that if it was not reliable.  C Products Defense mags are the best, ASC work fine.  I have a Liberty bolt, but there are several other options.  I had the extractor break once, but they replaced it (eventually) for free.  No other issues.  I also added the extended Red-X firing pin even though the Liberty is supposed to be cut to use the mil-spec pin.  I had a couple fail-to-fires during matches before, but not since I changed it.  I have a CMC trigger, so no way to increase hammer spring weight.  I also only used Wolf and Tula steel case ammo.  I did drill out the gas port, but am not sure I actually needed to.  It was something I read on the internet.

The only reason I changed from 7.62x39 to .223 for 3-gun was because I could see a difference in follow up shot speed.  7.62x39 actually has recoil!

Anyone who says the 7.62x39 AR is not reliable is wrong.  Maybe 10 years ago the mags and bolts were problematic, but that is absolutely not the case now.  Some people without recent actual experience just repeat stuff they read on the interwebs.  As you continue researching, look for the current real world experience and you'll only find good things, just like any other AR caliber.

• Like 1

If you already have another rifle for deer hunting, my advice is for you to stick with it instead of dumping money into a gun that you have to start from scratch on and doesn't kill deer any more dead than another.  I've got some past and recent experience with x39 ARs and I still go back to a bolt gun with quick handling and great optics.  For me, semi-auto just doesn't factor in for whitetail hunting.  Every deer I've ever killed has been on the first shot.  If I didn't get it on the first one, the follow-up wouldn't get it either.

Especially if you just had a baby!  I've got a 5 month old, so I know the drill.

Semi auto doesn't come into play for deer hunting, I don't need it for that. It does, however, come into play when hunting hogs. Also, it's just plain what I want. When I buy another bolt action, it won't likely be a sub $1,000 gun by the time I'm finished. Not that I have money like crazy, but if I were going to do it, it would be right. I don't really buy "hunting guns", I build and buy guns I can enjoy and in this case hunting with it is a bonus.

The only reason I mention the kid being born in May is because building an AR10 would be around $1,500-$1,700. I can build an entire 7.62x39 gun for well under a grand. AR10 can wait until next year. Edited by KKing
If I could find a barrel in stock I would go ahead and get one. I think I'll go with Faxon, I've used several of their barrels as of late and have been really impressed. Looks like no one makes a 14.5" 7.62 barrel so I guess I'll just have to use one of those icky 16" barrels. Edited by KKing

I've seen several 762x39 ARs come through class. NONE of them worked reliably.

The biggest issue seems to be the magazines as you are essentially forcing a cartridge that feeds best out of a curved magazine to be fed from a straight "tower" for the last few inches of travel in the mag. Someone mentioned the CMMG mutant and that would solve the magazine issue. But if you are going with a standard mag well AR then the feed issue will always be there. 

It might be OK for shooting deer , where the round in the chamber may well be all you need. But judging from the reliability issues I have witnessed with them I'd not be too keen on using it on hogs or anything else that might require more than 1 round that might be even remotely dangerous . 

• Like 1