NFL's Josh Morgan shoots self while cleaning gun.

FortKnox

I get a kick out of the comments, some seriously demented folks out there. 

As for the incident, hard to say with the facts so far; but he definitely can use more safety training.  Either left one in the pipe, a common error for new gun owners, or was just plain old being stupid and playing with a loaded weapon.  In the police report it should note if there were cleaning equipment on the table, and if there was another round in the chamber.

It appears to me that the statement "it went off while I was cleaning it" is usually a lie to cover the fact that someone pulled the trigger while playing with the gun. Just my opinion.

I tend to agree.

The biggest damage caused by idiotic excuses like that is that it fuels the libtard, pinko-commie, dumbocrat logic that guns are innately dangerous. They hear "it went off" and don't bother applying any logic. RESULT: "The gun just shot him all by itself."

I wouldn't even call him an NFL player anymore.  He was cut from the Saints final roster before the season kicked off, and no other team picked him up for even the practice squad.  Even without this, he was probably done in the NFL anyway.

Just hope for his sake it was an isolated incident, and not a series in a chain of screw ups.

I'll play along...

Round in chamber, tension is removed from the slide to break down (remote pin, flip level, etc)

IF the trigger is pulled at this point would the gun fire?

If it did discharge, isn't the slide being free from the frame going to change the function?

All guns are always loaded, keep your finger off the trigger, then proceed with caution.

I don't know about this guy, but many of us grew up and cut our teeth with guns at an early age and with training that long ago was passed on through the generations from a parent that hunted or was involved with other shooting sports like the old fashioned ham and turkey shoots (pretty much nothing but a memory now), skeet, sporting clays etc....This still occurs I know, but not like it used to. Life was much easier back then and I can remember when people seldom locked their doors in small towns and suburbs and didn't feel the need to have a gun to protect their life in their homes. Times have changed so much in my lifetime and now many people are buying their first gun now for self defense in the home and otherwise with little or no training, I'm surprised their aren't more of these events. I look back on my 63 years with fond memories of the old turkey shoots and hunting quail with my dad and hunting deer with friends and family. A person could hunt just about anywhere simply by asking land owners. Now it's all about leases and money. The everyday world we live in is much more violent now. The neighborhood I live in is clean and filled with good people, yet we have had 3 burglaries and several cars broken into in the past 2 years. A couple of these events in broad daylight. We now have a neighborhood watch program and regular meetings. I'm glad I grew up when I did. I know one thing. I cannot see a silver lining in the future and I hate it for my kids and their kids.

I reread this and I apologize if you feel I rambled on....I haven't slept much the past few nights and have a lot on my mind. it's getting to me I guess. 

It appears to me that the statement "it went off while I was cleaning it" is usually a lie to cover the fact that someone pulled the trigger while playing with the gun. Just my opinion.

Agreed. This is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. It's either a lie, or the person doing the "cleaning" is a negligent moron with no clue on gun safety or how a gun operates. I mean, how do you not only not safety check the weapon, but then also pull the trigger?! Edited by MrJones79