BBQ places around Nashville

Metalhead

So question: Old buddy of mine is in town from Idaho and is wanting some good bbq.I really don't eat bbq much, so where are places you folks would recommend? It doesn't have to be in Nashville necessarily, but surrounding area would be nice. Otherwise really the only place I know of that isn't a chain is Centerpoint in Hville.

Edley's was rated really high online so I took an out of town friend there. It was really disappointing.  The wife and I went to Jack's up by Trinity Lane. It was okay, but not a place I'd rave over. In short, I'd like to hear from others on TGO on best BBQ places as well.

• Like 1

It's worth noting that Edleys in East Nashville is vastly surperior to their location on 8th I think it is. I worked across the street from their East location for 2 years and would frequently eat there multiple times a week. Always had good eats. Went to the other location a handfull of times and never was impresssed.

Go into any other bbq joint that gets mentioned and try ordering something off the wall like a pulled pork sandwich with jaleneo ranch sauce, pimentto cheese, and a fried egg. See what happens. Best case scenario the counter clerk will look at you like an imbicile and utter 'that's not on the menu...'

You know what happens at Edleys?

You have a 100%chance of getting a tasty meal,and a 50%chance at getting your food delivered by the main cook along with a fist bump.

• Like 1
Interesting, I don't like edleys or peg leg porker at all. I have not tried martins.

Jacks is in my top 5, the location on Trinity. I didn't think the downtown location is as good.

B&C BBQ in the farmers market is really good. There's a small bar called Neighbors on Murphy road that has some great BBQ. Finally Judge Bean's BBQ in brentwood is outstanding.

I never found any that was great. Edleys is popular with the hipster crowd, Jacks and Center Point are fair. Top Hogg in Gallatin on Blythe is pretty good, but I wouldn't drive from Hendersonville to Gallatin just to eat there. 

Never got to try Martin's, but a friend in Mt Juliet liked it okay. 

Edley's was rated really high online so I took an out of town friend there. It was really disappointing.  The wife and I went to Jack's up by Trinity Lane. It was okay, but not a place I'd rave over. In short, I'd like to hear from others on TGO on best BBQ places as well.

Update: The Edley's that was disappointing was the one on 12th, not the East Nashville place.

I looooooove Peg Leg Porker.

Martin's is good, but I always feel like I paid way too much for what I got.

For an out of town guest, I'd go for either of those 2.

If you're downtown for the honky tonks, Jack's is good, but it's not the best. It's convenient when you're on Broadway though.

Any of those will be better than Centerpoint. I was unimpressed there.

Edley's 12 South is on my "meh" list. Didn't care for it.

Judge's Vinegaroon on Church by Baptist hospital is awful.

Edited by monkeylizard
Edley's is real good

Jacks down off trinity lane is good and interesting experience

B&C off Franklin Rd is pretty damn good, definitely the best brisket on a consistent basis I've found

Judge beans in Brentwood is pretty awesome too, and I'd say 2nd best brisket

Martin's is a cool atmosphere, but the food is mediocre. It's trendy and a neat place though. I've not been to the Nolensville spot, so maybe it's better

My scores would be:

Edley's #1

B&C #2 (close, I think they win brisket outright but fall down on other areas)

Judge Bean's #3

Jack's #4

Everyone goes on about the peg leg porker, and the food I've had there has been good. But it's been really inconsistent, maybe that's due to the shear volume of food they make. I feel like Martin's probably suffers for the same reason. Edited by SupaRice
  • Administrator

Martin's is tops on my list as well.  Another favorite is one plenty of folks might not even know about.

http://www.hogheavenbbq.com

They're located right behind Centennial Park, tucked behind the McDonald's on West End.  Seating is open to the elements so it's not a place for 20*F days when snow is piled up, unless you are going to grab a plate to go.  Their food is so good though.

Martin's is tops on my list as well.  Another favorite is one plenty of folks might not even know about.

http://www.hogheavenbbq.com

They're located right behind Centennial Park, tucked behind the McDonald's on West End.  Seating is open to the elements so it's not a place for 20*F days when snow is piled up, unless you are going to grab a plate to go.  Their food is so good though.

I had forgotten about Hog Heaven.  I haven't been there in years, but will have to give it another try.  

The food was good, but the homeless in the park would line up on the wall right across the street and harass all of the patrons.  

Edited by quietguy