Front differential in my truck is trashed......

gregintenn

....would you change it out yourself,  rebuild it, or take it to a mechanic?

It's an 02 Chevy Silverado Z71.

I'd probably come out ahead paying a mechanic to do it, but it doesn't look like that big a job. I'm not sure how I'll go about it. What do you think?

Edited by gregintenn
Don't get a Jasper reman

I have a Jasper reman transfer case in the same truck. And it hasn't worked since it was installed. I got to searching online and the main reason Jasper has a warranty on their stuff is that you need it. They use super cheap parts and factor in the fact they will likely have to replace it before the warranty is up.

Get one from a junkyard, sad that used is better than reman...

Or buy a brand new one.

But I would have a mechanic do it.
  • Like 2

If this is your only transportation, answer is easy go to a mechanic.  Now with that said, if you have other transportation, and time on your side, and you enjoy learning new stuff, you can do it yourself. 

When I was younger and into cars and trucks, I played a lot with changing out the differentials.  For drag racing purposes and for big tires on trucks, I was always changing out ring and pinions, and changing differentials with mini spools, lockers, limited sip, etc.  This is not a simple part swap.  You do have to know what you are doing, and you do have to have some special measuring tools and know how to read the lash, and you do need bearing pullers and a shop press.  I didn't have Youtube back then, but I did have someone who taught me this and it became fun, but I have probably lost with older age 80% of it, since I have not done this in 25 years.   Once you have master the knowledge, its simple.

For 30 years I did all of my mechanic work myself, mainly due to a trust factor, money factor, and a desire to do it myself.  As I slide into old man territory, the money and desire to do it myself is fading, but the trust thing is still big.  Good luck in finding a good mechanic for this type of job.

I don't know if this will make sense to you, but I know a fair amount about axles and differentials but enough to know that it is not worth learning to repair them. Differentials are extremely complicated to do right. Ironically, it isn't expensive to get them repaired. You don't need a mechanic; you need a mechanic specializing in axles and differentials. I know a few guys who can repair most issues with differentials for less than $500 no matter what may be wrong with it. However, it may be possible to source a drop in replacement differential but it isn't all that easy in the front of your GM.
The bearings in the front diff in my trailblazer died a couple years ago. Some genius designed it so not only are the bearings not serviceable, you also have to take the whole damn front end apart to replace it. I had a Jasper diff installed and it's been fine for about 20k miles. I thought long and hard about getting rid of it, but the used car market being what is, was unable to find a suitable replacement for a similar cost.
  • Administrator

I know how and have set up numerous gear sets over the years.  The right tools are imperative.  If you don't have access to knowledge and tools, let someone else do it or just swap the whole front axle assembly with a known-good unit from a salvage yard.

Even with my experience and tools, I fret a lot when I set up gears.  It's not a fun activity and differential fluid smells like a sack of rotten possum buttholes.  :)

• Like 4
  • Administrator

:rofl:

Tell me I'm wrong!  They use some of the nastiest petroleum and additives possible for that.  Couple it with being churned around in a relatively airtight space for tens of thousands of miles and usually having clutch-pack friction material stirred up in it for a that entire time... MMMMMM MMMMM MMMMMM that's some good smelling stuff.

Most friends who have had me help them set up gears on Jeeps or Mustangs have literally gagged a bit the first time they've cracked open the pumpkin on a differential and inhaled all of that possumy-butthole goodness.

Makes your eyes water sometimes!  :D

• Like 3
  • Administrator

Indeed. I've enjoyed that odor as well. And it doesn't go away. It'll stay on your hands for days.

Yeah it does!  And it stays in your sinuses at least as long too.  I've "smelled" that stuff in my nose for days after working on a differential.  Phantom-stink!

• Like 1
  • Moderators

It's not a fun activity and differential fluid smells like a sack of rotten possum buttholes. :)

I about spewed my drink on this. After years of drag racing (my specialty was gear setup) I wouldn't mess with it again regardless of cost. And I do believe you have nailed the smell.
  • Like 1

The odor thing is just apart of it.  Just like when I have to replace a toilet or two, or change a diaper, or be close to the wife doing actual child birth.  Its one of those things that is not apart of the training, but you will experience it.