need a multimeter recommendation

seez52

My old fashioned analog meter finally bit the dust and I need to get another one. I'm wanting a digital one with auto ranging. I know Fluke is top of the line, but also top in price. I've looked at their model 115, but it's $125 and I just have a hard time spending gun money like that!  I don't use one every day probably not even every month but when I need one I want to feel like I can rely on it. I've been try to get by with a cheap harbor freight unit, but its junk not even worth having. 

Seems like some of the cheap ones are slow to react and I've not liked that. Any recommendations?

You've already said it...I've got a fluke. I use to dabble in motorcycle repair hence my reason for having it, but I wouldn't have anything less.

Klein is maybe better? You could probably get by well enough with a craftsman, but I have no recommendations. Edited by blewbayou

I've used Fluke in the past, I use a Klein MM2000 now.    I've used it while building "stuff" for Pop superstars and Rock n' Roll hall of famers and while diagnosing my own HVAC system.   ... There is always a backup unit around, but I've never needed it.  I also have the luxury of not needing the highest degree of accuracy found in the upper end units.  +/- 1% would get me there every time.  

1) If you need extreme accuracy (higher end Klein & Flukes have a smaller % error), get a Fluke.

2) If you are going to use it in punishing environments... and if an entire workday will be blown if it goes out on you, get a Fluke.

otherwise... a Klein will do fine.

• Like 1
Fluke 117 or if you want to go bad ass a fluke 177 is top of the line. The 117 is fast rugged almost water resistant and is easy on 9v batteries. I use one almost daily at work. It should work great for your grandkids one day. I can get whatever I want but for a digital mm go 117, avoid the 115 as it takes to long to show dcvoltage hope this helps

PS fluke leads and accessories are awesome! Sears makes a nice accessory kit for meters for 20 bucks Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 2

My old fashioned analog meter finally bit the dust and I need to get another one. I'm wanting a digital one with auto ranging. I know Fluke is top of the line, but also top in price. I've looked at their model 115, but it's $125 and I just have a hard time spending gun money like that!  I don't use one every day probably not even every month but when I need one I want to feel like I can rely on it. I've been try to get by with a cheap harbor freight unit, but its junk not even worth having. 

Seems like some of the cheap ones are slow to react and I've not liked that. Any recommendations

I guess it depends on how often you use one.  I have used some very expensive Fluck and a junk unit from Walmart and their reading are generally pretty close between the units for most people's use.  To me it depends on how often you use the thing.  If you use something once a year is it really worth paying all that extra to get a nice one you rarely use.  Now if you use it daily then it might make since to spend a little more to get a nice unit.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle
Pro tip: go to the pawn shops around NADC on Gallatin rd. All of the students that drop out sell their multimeters. Don't buy new before checking those places first.

I should ad that the required multimeter for NADC is Fluke. Edited by bowtieguy
  • Like 2

I have a Fluke that was handed down to be by my dad, who was an electrician before retirement. Not sure of the model, but it's a basic unit. It has an LED that is VERY difficult to read. It is so dim, and you have to hold it at just the right angle to read it. 

I finally got tired of dealing with it and bought a cheap knockoff from Amazon for about $35. It works just as well, and didn't break the bank. It even has more features than my Fluke.

If you are in the business and will be using it weekly, then definitely get the quality that Fluke will afford. If you are a casual user then consider saving your money. I'm a Do-it-Yourselfer homeowner, so I definitely fall into the occasional user category. To be honest, I use mine for checking to see if a line is live, and occasionally to test Ohms to see if there is a break in a connection. I could probably get away with a super cheap one. In fact I had a $10 one from Radio Shack for years that I used before giving it to my son, and I saw him pull it out this past weekend.

I have a lot of high end instrumentation for electronics work. My EDC meter is a Fluke 189. I have always used Flukes, and so have my guys. We use multimeters frequently. There has been several when we were stuck out somewhere with none of our Flukes and plenty of Home Depot credit cards. The $30-$40ish dollar stuff is generally pretty OK. I won't use them to set an precision analog voltage reference, but they work for 99% of all other tasks.

We still have those meters lying around at transmitter sites or in our vehicles. Sorta like Walmart reading glasses. For a light use guys, it should last forever if you don't blow it up or let the batteries leak all over it.

So, don't be scared to buy this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter-MS8301B/206177758

Or one of the others that have your required features.

I also have a Fluke, but I have cheap meters to keep around in the garage and in the trailer.

The wife found these on sale for $25, I bought three, one for me and two for gifts. They have worked fine. I had her looking because a friend at work told me he was trying to wire some stuff at home without a meter.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-multimeter-with-ncv-tester/p-03482007000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

I also have a Fluke, but I have cheap meters to keep around in the garage and in the trailer.

The wife found these on sale for $25, I bought three, one for me and two for gifts. They have worked fine. I had her looking because a friend at work told me he was trying to wire some stuff at home without a meter.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-multimeter-with-ncv-tester/p-03482007000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

That was made by the same little Chinese guy as the one I posted :)