need a multimeter recommendation

seez52

Any of you guys with a Fluke that doesn't work right that you want to unload, shoot me a PM. :) I'm not joking. 

A lot depends on what the OP wants to test. AA batteries or 110 outlets, go grab some cheap import. It's (barely) a step above a 12 volt test light for automotive, but while the stuff I work on isn't as sensitive as what mikegideon sees, I've tried a lot of meters and a lot of 'bargains' just don't cut it. They aren't sensitive enough, don't react quickly enough, etc. I have an 87V that I depend on pretty much daily, and a 73 as a backup. The 7X series meters can be found cheap used, sub $50. They're solid, reliable tools. 

If you want a cheap import meter, grab one of the coupons for a free HF one. 

Pro tip: go to the pawn shops around NADC on Gallatin rd. All of the students that drop out sell their multimeters. Don't buy new before checking those places first.

I should ad that the required multimeter for NADC is Fluke.

cept the top of the meters say NADC on em or something lol great tip though for sure!!! 

• Like 1
I too needed a new one recently as my old cheap one finally bit the dust. I don't use it often but was going to need one for some AC work. I did a little research and picked up a Mastech from Amazon. It is one with a clamp and can read ohms as well. It works like a charm. Paid around $50. If I used one more often I would have bought a Fluke but for my occasional needs it works great.

The display crapped out on my Fluke.  I can only read it when looking at it from an angle and then just barely.  Yes, I replaced the battery.

That is exactly what mine does. I met a couple of guys at work that work in the metering department (they measure stuff) and they said that is very common for Fluke meters. They said to open up the case, and find the little leads that connect the LED display, take them off and use a pencil eraser to degunk the contacts. Said it was super easy. I just have not tried it yet.

Still rocking a 20 year old fluke 87 hand-me-down for most metering tasks. Had to do the eraser trick a while back, and have replaced the battery a few times and the leads once or twice, but has been flawless otherwise. Puts my Snap-on Vantage  and Vantage-pro to shame for reliability.

thanks for all the comments here, I just couldn't bring myself to get the Fluke even though you guys recommended it. I've checked around at some of the pawn shops, I've been watching for a while. Seems they hold their value and most shops aren't too much cheaper than when they run them on special at amazon.

Anyway I did take the recommendation of a Klein. It was $50 and seems to do what I need. So far it's pretty fast to read and I like the way it works. I believe it's a mm400 off the shelf at HD. I don't use one daily or for anything but hobby stuff, I think it's going to work out just fine. thanks to all I hadn't considered a Klein before.

• Like 1

That is exactly what mine does. I met a couple of guys at work that work in the metering department (they measure stuff) and they said that is very common for Fluke meters. They said to open up the case, and find the little leads that connect the LED display, take them off and use a pencil eraser to degunk the contacts. Said it was super easy. I just have not tried it yet.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll try that when I get a chance.  In the mean time I have a couple of cheaper meters that have gotten me by.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tip! That worked for me.  My Fluke is back in the lineup.