AR Build Question

Fadex

I currently hate the standard hand guard with a low profile gas block. Can someone tell me what I will have to do/buy to install a mid length quad rail. Also looking for recommendations of where to find a qrail at a good price. Thanks!
What do you mean by "standard hand guard"? If you have a low profile gas block, then I assume it's a free floating tube that covers the gas block??

What length gas system do you have... Mid length?

A pic might help.

If you have a free float rail with a low profile gas block now, you could simply buy a free float quad rail and use the same gas block. Or... you could change the gas block too. Lots of possibilities....

I suggest a current pic and maybe a pic of what you want to achieve Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
Many of the "optics ready" models come n this basic configuration for obvious scope mounting ease.

OP,
If you don't have armorer tool and vice block. Start there(torque wrench doesn't hurt either). Many of the rails on the market require proprietary tools. Decide on the rail(you really want 4 rails?, they're heavy pigs). Customizable systems with solid top rail are much lighter and streamlined, just add rails or mount accessories where needed. Also, you need to pick a budget. Most anything under $100 is junk. I highly recommend ALG for easy install(comes with install wrench and shims) and easy on the wallet but not lacking quality also the Mlok mount system is solid and standardized with lots of aftermarket support. Edited by Jct1911

Seems odd to have standard handguard with lo-pro gas block.
That being said, the UTG Pro Slim is hard to best for the price.

+1 on UTG pro slim. Several of us on the forum have installed them over the past year. And most, like myself, we're hesitant because of older UTG product quality. They did a really good job with this though.
  • Like 3

+1 on UTG pro slim. Several of us on the forum have installed them over the past year. And most, like myself, we're hesitant because of older UTG product quality. They did a really good job with this though.

This.

I was pleased enough with it to use one on my TGO build. Great piece of gear for the cash.

UTG is doing a much better job these days. I haven't messed with their handguards recently, but other stuff was good

It's the standard/non free float hand guard that comes with almost every ar. It's been awhile since Inhve posted here and can't remember how to post pics.

The traditional milspec and I guess still most all around common handguard on ARs is this style.

IMG_6437.jpg

If these are what you mean, they are not free float, so you'll need one that fits into standard delta ring/end cap like in Wingshooter's post #5. Most free float ones required changing barrel nut.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The traditional milspec and I guess still most all around common handguard on ARs is this style.

IMG_6437.jpg

If these are what you mean, they are not free float, so you'll need one that fits into standard delta ring/end cap like in Wingshooter's post #5. Most free float ones required changing barrel nut.

- OS

The Daniel Defense Omega Rails are free float and use the standard barrel nut/delta ring, and the end cap remains. But they ain't cheap. I just pulled one off one of my carbines. 

The Daniel Defense Omega Rails are free float and use the standard barrel nut/delta ring, and the end cap remains. But they ain't cheap. I just pulled one off one of my carbines. 

Sure don't see how they could be free float. Whole idea is that handguard don't interact with barrel, and the end cap holds the handguard and barrel together.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I changed it because I didn't want to see the sight post in the scope reticle. I thought the post would also interfere with the bdc. I trying to decide between a mid length or full length rail. Leaning toward mid length. I hadn't thought about the weight of a qrail so maybe something else. Free float.
My $.02... if you're worried about weight, think about a slim keymod rail. Quad rails are heavy. Much lighter to just put a couple rail pieces where you need them. I like the look of a longer rail, and the newer slim stuff allows that without a lot of weight.

I'm about to dump a 13" YHM quad rail for a slim keymod on an older build I have from back when quad rails were all the rage. Edited by musicman
  • Like 3

I currently hate the standard hand guard with a low profile gas block. Can someone tell me what I will have to do/buy to install a mid length quad rail. Also looking for recommendations of where to find a qrail at a good price. Thanks!

Correct me, if I'm wrong. Sounds like you want a handguard that will cover/hide the gas block. Judging from the pic you have a carbine length gas system, so you'll be looking for a 12" or 13" handguard. There's a lot more options with a free float handguard.

If this is your rifle for having fun at the range and you aren't trying to impress everyone, just look around eBay and get one in your price range. Look for one that's 13" or longer, make sure it comes with a barrel nut, and be wary of a super slim design (it may not fit over your gas block, so check the inner diameter carefully and match it against the height of your gas block). You can find quite a few between $50 and $75 that will serve their purpose long enough for you to change your mind again later and go another route (most of us do).

If this is your battle rifle and/or the one you strap on to impress your neighbors while you mow the yard, you may want a reputable name brand that is built a little sturdier. It'll be better built, will last longer, have better mounting hardware, and will have stronger picatinny rails. Your options start with a very serviceable and well made UTG rail or Mid-West Industries and go all the way up to the barely more functional but much more prestigious brands like Noveske and Geissele. This is your only real option, if you ask the AR snobs over on AR15.com, who think they are all high-speed operators.

In the end, it's your Barbie doll, you can dress her up for the prom or your can dress her up for around the house...totally your call.

• Like 2