AR Build Question

Fadex

I changed it because I didn't want to see the sight post in the scope reticle. I thought the post would also interfere with the bdc. I trying to decide between a mid length or full length rail. Leaning toward mid length. I hadn't thought about the weight of a qrail so maybe something else. Free float.

Past 2x magnification you can't see a front sight. You can't even see a flip up BUIS past 2x. Anywho. If you truly want a free float rail your procedure needs to go as follows. Remove flash hider, remove gas block, remove handguard, remove delta ring and spring. At this point, if you are using a rail that utilizes the stock barrel nut you're good, if not you need to take the barrel nut off. Then install the barrel nut that comes with your rail, then gas block, then flash hider.

Now, you can get rails that drop in to the existing delta ring and save yourself some work such as the UTG pro drop in that's just over 12" long and will cover your gas block. All you would have to do is change the handguard itself out. These aren't truly "free float" rails, but they will achieve the look you want.

From your posts I can tell you're new to this so I'm going to try to explain about your gas system. Your gas tube length is determined by your barrel, not your handguard. Your barrel has a gas port drilled in it and aside from welding that hole up and drilling a new one in a different location, your gas port will always remain right where it is. So no, you will never buy a new gas tube unless you successfully shoot enough to rot that one away. Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
Absolutely new to the AR platform. I'm much more accustomed to a bolt action or single shot. I'm mainly going tongues this for some light hunting and target shooting. Adding a sling and maybe a bipod. The rail system seems the most flexible way to do this.
Your gas tube and gas block will remain the same. The new free float handguard will go over top of it and will only attach to the rifle at one point (the barrel nut).

To accomplish what you want, you will need to remove the old two-piece habdguard, remove gas block and tube, remove the end cap that held the old handguard, remove the old barrel nut, reinstall the barrel with a new barrel nut designed to hold the new free float rail, reinstall the gas block/tube without the end cap (space it properly), slide the new free fload rail over the gas block/tube and thread it onto the new barrel nut.

I would review the brownell's series of videos on building an AR. They are very informative and helpful if you don't do this often. It's always easier for me to watch it being done.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/how_to_build_an_ar-15_video Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

I personally think you would be better off getting a Magpul Slim or regular MOE handguard. You won't have to take anything off, it won't weigh a ton, and you can still mount rails if you want them.

Like this.
2zyiq05.jpg

Which one is this?
*Must be used with the triangular A2 front sight assembly with round retaining cap; other gas blocks are not compatible.
Factory sling swivel is not compatible and, if equipped, must be removed from the A2 front sight assembly.

Doesn't souls like this is an option for my build. No sight assembly. Different gas block. Edited by Fadex

Thanks. They just fit over existing hardware?

Yep. Push the delta ring back pop out the old handguards, drop in the new ones.
No messing with the barrel nut, and I can tell you after messing with a problematic barrel nut this afternoon, a drop in is a GREAT idea.

*Must be used with the triangular A2 front sight assembly with round retaining cap; other gas blocks are not compatible.
Factory sling swivel is not compatible and, if equipped, must be removed from the A2 front sight assembly.
Doesn't souls like this is an option for my build. No sight assembly. Different gas block.

Different gas block, but the round retaining clip should still be there holding on your current handguard. Have you taken the current one off to check it out yet? It's super easy and you don't need the tool linked above though I'm sure it makes the job much easier for those doing it often. Take the handguard off and see if there isn't a round clip on the gas block end.

Only issue I can see is it wouldn't leave any provision for a front sight save some kind of bolt on or clam on affair after the gas block. I built my brothers AR that way and we are looking at longer freefloat options with a top rail as the current setup leaves much to be desired.