Local Gun Shops

I know some of you will be loathe to hear it, but this is one area where more federal regulation is needed, not less.  It will take a federal law, under the authority of the commerce clause, to require all retailers collect sales tax from whatever state the buyer resides in, and send it to that state's revenue department.  Until then, LGS' will be at a huge disadvantage, because half of the allure in price savings is not being charged that sales tax at checkout.  For any firearm that costs over $200, you're saving money by doing a transfer, even after a $20 transfer fee (that's what my preferred FFL charges) is applied.  The $10 for a background check is occurring with an in-store purchase or a transfer, so that amount is irrelevant.  And lets face it, most of us spend a good bit more than $200 on a gun purchase.

The only way to get LGS' competitive again is to enforce some modicum of an even playing field.  And the federal government is the only one that can make it happen with any teeth.

A second way to look at this is there are those LGS and those with an FFL that have embraced transfers. ..

Yep. Never understood places that don't want to do them at all or discourage them by charging outrageous fee.

At just $20 per, that should generally translate to ~ 100 clams per hour for only one person's time with no outlay for stock. Seems like the easiest money a shop could make.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4

You can always send the state an extra tax check if you don't think your paying enough ..for there services.

I think there are over compensated.

State and Service seems to be a oxymoron to me.

Right, I'll do that right when I don't have to pay taxes for someone's else's kids to go to public school since I don't have any.
  • Like 1
I'll pay a little extra if an LGS is competitive, which usually means driving 25-30 miles. Most of the LGS in my area are content to pray on the less experienced firearm owners with prices that are 30-40% higher. I just won't deal with them.

And.... Don't even get me started on the fan boy DBs that work at some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been very lucky over the years to have had a couple of super lgs to go to. The search is half the fun...

The bad part is when you find one and they have an incredible Dan Wesson that is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen and everytime you go in (quite a bit), it's sitting there haunting you.

What's worse is when your friend gets one. Rubs it in your face, talks about how awesome it is and posts it all over Facebook knowing you want the one at the LGS. It's killing me slowly.

The bad part is when you find one and they have an incredible Dan Wesson that is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen and everytime you go in (quite a bit), it's sitting there haunting you.
What's worse is when your friend gets one. Rubs it in your face, talks about how awesome it is and posts it all over Facebook knowing you want the one at the LGS. It's killing me slowly.

Same thing happened to me except it was a SIG legion SAO...

Then my wonderful wife bought it for me as a Surprise!

Have faith and patience good things can happen to those that are earning puppy karma.
  • Like 1

Same thing happened to me except it was a SIG legion SAO...

Then my wonderful wife bought it for me as a Surprise!

Have faith and patience good things can happen to those that are earning puppy karma.

Yes, in my case it's called a EWA (Executive Wife Action) where I go buy it. I've had excellent self control on this one. Did I mention it's bronze? It's worthy of the title sexual chocolate if I ever got it. Which is totally inappropriate but it's a $1,300 gun. I'm a bit woozy considering the time of night but I have 3 puppies who love to wrestle in pitch black. Maybe Hot Brown? One day it will be mine.
  • Like 1

No sales tax at all added onto the sale?  For any standard retail transaction, which firearms qualify as, it's supposed to include sales tax for the stores location.

I am sure they are charging tax, they are just reducing the price to cover it.

• Like 1

I know some of you will be loathe to hear it, but this is one area where more federal regulation is needed, not less. It will take a federal law, under the authority of the commerce clause, to require all retailers collect sales tax from whatever state the buyer resides in, and send it to that state's revenue department. Until then, LGS' will be at a huge disadvantage, because half of the allure in price savings is not being charged that sales tax at checkout. For any firearm that costs over $200, you're saving money by doing a transfer, even after a $20 transfer fee (that's what my preferred FFL charges) is applied. The $10 for a background check is occurring with an in-store purchase or a transfer, so that amount is irrelevant. And lets face it, most of us spend a good bit more than $200 on a gun purchase.

The only way to get LGS' competitive again is to enforce some modicum of an even playing field. And the federal government is the only one that can make it happen with any teeth.

Really? I used to live in Oregon which doesn't have a sales tax, and there's 4 other states without a sales tax. So how does the federal government "fix" competition in those states? And since when is it the federal government suppose to level the playing field? Kmart is closing stores because they can't compete with Walmart. 84 Lumber is closing stores because they can't compete with Lowe's and Home Depot. It's called capitalism. Now IMHO, Bud's in Sevierville could easily lower their gun prices because they over charge for their indoor range. Federal regulation isn't the answer.
  • Like 1

No sales tax at all added onto the sale? For any standard retail transaction, which firearms qualify as, it's supposed to include sales tax for the stores location.

Their computer has this little button they hit and it says "eat the tax". It reduces everything in price. It still shows sales tax, I just don't pay it on my end. But that's when we makes deals. And like I said, we always leave happy. Except when he says no to the Dan Wesson. I've been wanting that since before thanksgiving.

Does everyone negotiate with every retailer to offset tax or Internet price match or just with those greedy LGS owners?

On my end I do it to all of them.  I will price match with any store that allows it, and will order online and have it delivered to the store on their dime if its an option.  As for greedy LGS', I just don't shop there.

• Like 1

Their computer has this little button they hit and it says "eat the tax". It reduces everything in price. It still shows sales tax, I just don't pay it on my end. But that's when we makes deals. And like I said, we always leave happy. Except when he says no to the Dan Wesson. I've been wanting that since before thanksgiving.

If your LGS does that, than cool.  You're just paying sales tax, just on the discounted price.  They probably do that since you're in there so often.  Good deal for you in the end!