Hayman Safes

Anyone here heard of Hayman Everglades safes?  They are carried by a local safe dealer and I was wondering if they were any good.  I have another dealer that carries Liberty but after researching safes it seems like I would need to get at least a Liberty Lincoln to have any type of protection.  On the Hayman site it says that they have over 3/4" of steel in the door but I can't find if that is at least 1/4" solid plus extra or just a couple of layers of 12 gauge steel.

I know I'm over analyzing this like I do when I go to purchase anything.  I don't live in a high crime area, we have dogs and an alarm and we rarely have people come in the house for service but I've seen too many videos of safes hacked open with pretty simple tools so I keep thinking I need something extremely tough and big enough to hold everything I want to put in it.  Unfortunately you have to spend a couple grand to get a safe with descent about of steel and good fire protection.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I look forward to any comments or thoughts.

Edited by Slasher

I'm going to say a few things here and it is worth everything that you are paying for it.  Really just some points to consider.

-  I won't discourage anyone from buying the best safe that they can.

-  Any safe is better than no safe. 

-  Most thieves will not put forth the effort to break into a safe.  Most will ransack the house and grab whatever they can quickly.

-  Most people that you have to worry about stealing your guns you already know, whether you want to admit it or not.  Most thieves are not going to put forth the effort to crack a safe that has unknown contents. 

-  A cop friend of mine that works in a fairly high crime area said that in his 10 years of being a cop he has never seen a safe broken into but he's been to a lot of home burglaries.

-  The location of the safe its self can add another layer of security.  As can having it properly mounted.  Don't make it obvious and don't make it easy to roll out of the house on a dolly.  As much of a pain as it is, the harder it is to get in the harder it will be go get out.  At my last house the safe was in the master bedroom closet.  Guests at our house never knew that we had a safe.  Of course if I like you enough to let you into my home you probably already know that I have guns.  No need to have it sitting out in the open where service people and the like can see it.  

-  A security system adds yet another layer of protection. 

So, be careful who you let know what you have.  Be careful about who has access to your house. Don't leave crowbars, grinders, torches and the like easily accessible.  Finally, make it inconvenient to remove the safe from your house.

All of these points can be argued to death and there are exceptions to them all, they are simply observations and generalizations to consider.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

I'm going to say a few things here and it is worth everything that you are paying for it. Really just some points to consider.

- I won't discourage anyone from buying the best safe that they can.
- Any safe is better than no safe.
- Most thieves will not put forth the effort to break into a safe. Most will ransack the house and grab whatever they can quickly.
- Most people that you have to worry about stealing your guns you already know, whether you want to admit it or not. Most thieves are not going to put forth the effort to crack a safe that has unknown contents.
- A cop friend of mine that works in a fairly high crime area said that in his 10 years of being a cop he has never seen a safe broken into but he's been to a lot of home burglaries.
- The location of the safe its self can add another layer of security. As can having it properly mounted. Don't make it obvious and don't make it easy to roll out of the house on a dolly. As much of a pain as it is, the harder it is to get in the harder it will be go get out. At my last house the safe was in the master bedroom closet. Guests at our house never knew that we had a safe. Of course if I like you enough to let you into my home you probably already know that I have guns. No need to have it sitting out in the open where service people and the like can see it.
- A security system adds yet another layer of protection.

So, be careful who you let know what you have. Be careful about who has access to your house. Don't leave crowbars, grinders, torches and the like easily accessible. Finally, make it inconvenient to remove the safe from your house.

All of these points can be argued to death and there are exceptions to them all, they are simply observations and generalizations to consider.

This

Very good points by 10-ring.  I would ad if you have children, inform them not to brag that daddy has machine guns everywhere.  I had to coach my 6 year old recently.  One of his 1st grade buddies asked me about it.  Geeze.................

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Probably too late but....

Hayman is a good company. I've been dealing with them for years. They specialize in smaller residential and commercial safe and in-floor safes and have a lot of models to choose from. Their gun safes are imported and would be similar to some of the less expensive safes out there BUT, they did just come out with a TL rated gun safe that looks pretty formidable. 

1473345562.jpg

Edited by PARKERS SAFES
spelling