Ruger Precision Rifle .308 Range Report (long-ish w/ pics)

Peace

From what I gather:  

-There are a lot of 6.5 Creedmore RPR owners out there who are super-happy with their purchase.

-There are a lot of .243 RPR owners who are not as happy.

-There are not a lot of .308 RPR owners... and the ones that are out there, aren't saying much.   :)

Rifle Details:

Ruger Precision Rifle - .308 (20" barrel - no brake or supressor... yet), Caldwell Bipod, Leupold 2.5-10x40 mildot scope in leupold rings.  As configured, this rifle weighs 11.85lbs w/o a magazine.  The rifle was purchased locally - I didn't want to pay MAP - not happy that the un-named shop had it listed at MAP ....but I paid up... because it was the first (and still is the only) RPR .308 I had seen in person.

Rifle History: As of tonight, I have 79 rounds through this rifle.  In my first outing with it, I shot 19 rounds of barrel break-in.  -cleaning every round for 10 rounds, then a group of 5, then a group of 4... and then it was dark and the range was closing.  ... what a pain at a public range!!  ha!

Conditions During the Review:

sunny, beautiful, 70deg... with a stiff 10-17mph variable wind blowing across the line of fire from 80-90deg.  I put 60 rounds downrange.  ~35 of them were 147gr ball (perfecta)... even so, ringing the gong at 400yds (using a ~2.5 mildot hold-over)  - even in the wind was boringly easy  (don't know how big the gong was - maybe 24"?)   ** All shots today were from prone with bipod and rear bag.

After all of the ball ammo was gone, it was time to confirm zero at 200yds and shoot for groups at 200yds.  The first photo is the 3 shots to confirm zero.

Zero-Verification: Black Hills (semi-vintage) 168gr Match - 200yds, 3 shot group

IMG_3314_zpssxss8hox.jpg

** according to my ballistics app, this was a .698" center to center and a .33moa group.  I was a little stunned.  My point of aim was the end of the "6" - just where the 4" line meets the black ink.

After dialing up 2 clicks (~1" at 200yds), a started shooting for groups to see which ammo the gun likes.  

Groups

1) Federal Gold Medal Match SMK 168gr     - 200yds, 4 shot group (that's all I had left)

IMG_3315_zpsbw7tq8k3.jpg

**Largest Center-Center spread was 1.866"  - .89moa group

2) Black Hills 168gr Match   -200yds, 5 shot group (it was "new old stock"... rounds were in styrofoam - not plastic, if that helps date it for you.)

IMG_3317_zpshixcnkmt.jpg

* That outlier was really my own fault, but it's included. (Man! I wanted to exclude that flyer ... or magically make it go away.)  If it was me, I'll settle out of it in time, and future groups won't show it.  If it is the rifle or the ammo, it will happen consistently.

** Center-to-Center Spread: 2.508"  - 1.2moa group  (darn it)   Without the flyer it is a .63moa 4-shot group.

***of note!  look at the (lack of) vertical spread!!  - ya think Black Hills was consistent on this batch?   :)

3) Federal Gold Medal Match 175 SMK   - 200yds, 5 shot group

IMG_3318_zpsphhbmy2s.jpg

*Center-to-Center Spread: 2.034" - .97moa group

Conclusions:

1) Rifle:  This gun will shoot.  I am guessing it will settle in as a .6-.75moa shooter.  I absolutely have to put a muzzle break on it.  By the time I started shooting these groups, I had shot about 50 rounds already in short order, and I was feeling it a bit.

2) Ammo: I will stick with Black Hills 168 for now and see if the flyer was me or the ammo.  The lack of vertical stringing... and the earlier 3 shot group hint that the BH load may be the factory load for this gun.  With both weights of FGMM shooting sub moa, I have options.  Also, note that with the FGMM -both variants were coming out at a consistent, but markedly different velocity than the BH ammo. - as noted by the ~1.5" higher POI of both FGMM groups.

3) Glass:  I am shooting this at 10x.  I feel pretty confident that, with a 16 or 20x scope, I could tighten up the groups, maybe someday I'll find out.  - I don't know that I can justify big money on glass... ever, but I've been toying around with the idea of a Vortex PST 6-24 (for the EBR2C reticle) or the Burris XTRii 5-20.  If I could get the EBR2C reticle in a 16x, it would be a no brainer.  -not sure how much real world use I would ever get out of a 24x scope.

4) Conditions:  -pretty stoked to shoot for groups at 200yds and not 100yds.... and have these results ... and to get these groups on a day as windy as today, it just makes me smile.

If anyone was thinking about a Ruger Precision Rifle... hope this helps.  ... aaaand if you are going to be punching paper with it, get the 6.5Creedmore.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 3
'cause 100yds is for sissies?? ha! kidding.

-100yd was at a different part of the range and sometimes you can't shoot prone there. - that and the fact that any deficiencies in me, the ammo, and rifle are magnified as you get further out. I guess that is why.
  • Like 1

I'm seriously thinking about getting this in 243.

from the reports & reviews I've read, the .243 barrel for this rifle is hit or miss - some seem to be ok, and some are just not that good.  Also, the .243 is a 26" barrel.  I've held one, and it is one heavy rifle.  ... If I were going to have a rifle that heavy, I'd want it to be throwing a magnum caliber.

Just curious .
I notice the 10x scope .
One would guess your groups would only improve with more powerfull scope especially at 200 yds.

The RPR 308 on my list to haves .
Got any pictures?

Ha!  - yep.  Addressed the 10x issue somewhere in the 1 million word post up top.  I agree with you, but don't want** to spring for a new scope... I would like to see what I can do with this one for now.  I don't have any pics of this rifle.  I treat the firearms I use a bit like my kids, I guess.  I try not to plaster them all over the inter-webs.  

**edit.  I WANT to spring for a new scope.  It just "wouldn't be prudent at this juncture."

Edited by Peace

If you're looking for a higher power scope without busting the bank, I would highly recommend the Vortex Crossfire series.  It is certainly on the more economical end of the spectrum.  I have one on a Remington 700 .308 and could not be more happy.  I have only shot the gun to about 300 yards.  I've looked at about 800 yards, and I most definitely would feel comfortable using the scope at that distance.  Below is the model I have. 

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-6-18x44-ao-rifle-scope.html?_iv_code=VX-RS-CSSAO6-CF2-31033&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CKic24P4iMsCFVAvgQodg-MHcg

• Like 1
**editorial note: I found some Black Hills 168 OTM match in a store today... and these still ship in with foam case-holders -not plastic. -so maybe that ammo was newer than I thought! Gitcha' some!!

Pics.... sorry fellas, ... maybe someday I'll change my ways, but for whatever reason, I take pics of targets, not the firearms I use. :goofy: Edited by Peace