Affordable scope for .22 bolt action?

We acquired a Ruger American .22 cal Bolt Action Rifle w/ open sights a little while back, and I really enjoy taking it to the range, kids like it, too. I've been taking the NRA small-bore rifle class at my local club, which uses .22 rifle's w/ aperture sights. I no longer like the open sights very well, nor can I seem to shoot them for anything (pulled about 200 rds today, think I hit the 100-yd. plate 10x!)?

Rifle is drilled at tapped w/ 4 holes all ready for a scope, but I don't want to break the bank - it's just a plinker. Any suggestions?

This rifle will be used by my entire family @ the local range, as well as occasionally out in the open (e.g. varmints).

I don't know the correct term, but I've noticed some scopes are harder to look through than others? You need to be lined up just right to see properly, otherwise the lenses don't seem to line-up, and you can't see anything. Other's seem to have a large range of positions that are useful. Since my kids will be using this thing too, I want it to be easy and simple to use. We won't be doing any long distance shooting, 100-150 yds max no doubt.

Thanks.

- K

Something in the "sweet 22"  family, the lower end ones are about 50 bucks.  We have one on a 10-22 and its been very excellent.  

All my other scopes are like 30+ years old ... typically put 3-7 or 3-9 power cheapish deer rifles scopes on the 22s.   Lot of people will say its too much magnification, and it probably is,  but I hit what I aim at :)

As far as it goes,  scopes for bigger guns have long eye relief so you don't get a black eye when it recoils and hits your face.   I got used to that on my 22s but scopes made for 22s have less of this.   

If you are holding the gun right,  anything that isn't defective is ok to look through.  Its holding it in your hand, incorrectly, that makes them seem odd.   You WILL be looking thru them correctly once its mounted on the gun.  

They are all about the same to use.   Put it on the gun.  Shoot a large target.   Adjust the crosshairs to match the hole.  Repeat about 5 times.  Now don't touch anything except, if it has it,  the focus & magnification controls.   

Some have dots and such that you can use advanced techniques to adjust your aim, but forget all that on a 22 plinker.  Just get a simple reticle that you like and use that.

Edited by Jonnin

I've got a Simmons on both my 22's, you're welcome to try both of those out, one is a fixed 4x, other is a variable 3-9 I think.  Simmons is decent, nothing expensive.  

http://www.gandermountain.com/Shooting/Optics/Scopes#filters?do=json&i=1&nav=1&q1=513&q2=513A&q3=513A2&q4=Optics&q5=Shooting&q6=Simmons&x1=cat1&x2=cat2&x3=cat3&x4=t2&x5=t1&x6=brand&cat_depth=2&matched_cat=513A

A 4x or 3-9x is about right. The higher the magnification the more critical eye placement is behind the scope. Longer eye relief also makes this worse.

Another option is use a red dot sight. Not as precise but kids of all ages love them.

Scopes branded for use on 22's are usually lower optical quality and not suitable for competitive use. But for plinking and informal target practice they are great.

100yds can be tough to shoot with a 22 as the wind will have a big effect and most people never learn how to read it so the can compensate for the effect. Try 50 or even 25 yds.

My son's favorite thing when he was about 8 was shooting neco wafer candies. They are cheap and shatter into a satisfying cloud of dust. Start them close and work the range out to make it harder as they improve. I made a simple board with a saw cut in it so they would stand up. For a real challenge try aspirin tablets at 50ft from offhand, or even better golden eye where you put empty 22 brass in the holes of a target and then shoot them out. Again this is a close range game 50ft or less for younger ones

Thanks Jim, I may take you up on that.... I like the price-point of those scopes, too!

I noticed some scopes come w/ included rings, other's sold-separately. This rifle is already tapped for mounts, so do I need to buy a set of rings compatible w/ this rifle, or will any of them work? Is it preferable to get mounts separate from the scope, or whatever comes in the box will be fine? I know it's just a little plinker-rifle, but it does seem to be high quality and quite accurate (I've hit 7/10 @ 100yds regularly before...) I don't want to downgrade the rifle's performance w/ a cheap scope that's poorly mounted?

Thanks.

I don't know how many 22s I've had or what scopes I've had on all of them.  However, I do know that my favorite so far has been an old Tasco 4 x 32. I find variable power scopes to be distracting on 22s.  That being said, I don't shoot competitions or anything. My 22s are used to shoot squirrels and groundhogs.  They get tossed around in the truck, get knocked over, get bumped up against trees, and almost neglected.  I have this old Tesco on a 10/22, and I have a Simmons 3-9x32 on another 10/22.  The Tasco is much more clear than the Simmons, especially if you turn the Simmons up to 9.  

This is not the same model I have, but I'm thinking about buying it and replacing the Simmons.   

http://www.opticsplanet.com/tasco-riflescope-ph3-9x32.html

the vast majority of modern hardware has a rail that sits on the gun, the rails are universal.   The rings grab onto those, around the scope.

If yours is tapped to accept rings directly on the gun, you have to match them to the gun.  

for your purposes, if it comes with mounts, use them.   Serious shooting might replace them, but you can do that when you start earning prize money with your shooting :)

it will do fine.  You  should hit 10/10 with a scope, even a cheap one.  If its poorly mounted, you should see it / feel it etc.   Don't over-tighten it but it does need to not move around.   Cheap scopes WORK fine, they just are less likely to still be in use 50 years from now.   Get one with a good warranty (lifetime or very long anyway) and it will work fine for sure, or they will mail them to you until you get one that does.

Edited by Jonnin

On the scope being hard to look through make sure that your eye relief is correct.  I set the scope on the rifle mounted as far back as possible, then hold the rifle as if you are shooting it looking through the scope and have someone move the scope away from your face.  You will find a point where you can see through the score the best.  Find that spot and tighten her down.  As far as the scope you don't need to spend much money it's just a plinker.  I would go online and check your favorite websites clearance sections.  Find a scope from a reputable brand on clearance and grab it!  More than likely it will serve you just fine.

• Like 1

Amazon has a scope that I bought and currently use, but it is the most expensive that I use on 22-25 Cal weapons:

4-16x50mm Scope W front AO adjustment. Red/green Illumination mil-dot reticle. Comes with extended sunshade and Heavy Duty Ring Mount

"http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ICG6IK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00"

CDNN Sports has this one that is currently on a .223:

AIM SPORTS 3-9X40 TITAN DUAL ILLUMINATED SCOPE

"http://www.cdnnsports.com/aim-sports-3-9x40-titan-dual-illuminated-scope.html"

Amazon has the scope I have on my Ruger 10/22:

BSA 6-18X40AO Sweet 22 Rifle Scope with Adjustable Objective

"http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A12VLI?keywords=bsa%20sweet%2022%20scope&qid=1456090177&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2"

This is from the Ruger American web site. http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/models.html

"A 3/8" rimfire scope base is machined into the receiver, which is also drilled and tapped for Weaver® #12 bases (not included)."

Yep. I can see 4 little holes w/ screws in them on the top (2 sets of 2 holes). So I should look for "Weaver #12" base scopes/mounts, and go from there?

Thanks.

Nikon Rimfire - this is the only scope that I own that is not a Leupold and I love it. Won't break the bank and is easy to adjust and the BDC is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-RIMFIRE-Rifle-Scope-Black/dp/B00I3M634E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456119084&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+22+rimfire+scope

That is the scope I use for my 300 Blackout. It is better than the P300 for the 300BO. I was sent a preproduction Nikon P300 to review and give them feedback. I told them the P22 was a better scope, and it is, for the 300BO.

I have never had an issue with my P22 scope. Tracks great, clear and the turrets are great. My ONLY complaint about the P22 is the BDC reticle sucks. Well it doesn't suck but it doesn't work well as a BDC reticle either.

I can show you my P22, and a few other scopes, when you come out.

Thanks Jim, I may take you up on that.... I like the price-point of those scopes, too!

I noticed some scopes come w/ included rings, other's sold-separately. This rifle is already tapped for mounts, so do I need to buy a set of rings compatible w/ this rifle, or will any of them work? Is it preferable to get mounts separate from the scope, or whatever comes in the box will be fine? I know it's just a little plinker-rifle, but it does seem to be high quality and quite accurate (I've hit 7/10 @ 100yds regularly before...) I don't want to downgrade the rifle's performance w/ a cheap scope that's poorly mounted?

Thanks.

Anytime, let me know.

You can take your rifle to GM and they will mount it and bore site it if you buy the scope there,  should also be able to get any mounts & rings (if needed) there as well.  Sounds like you already have the bases (but my terminology maybe incorrect as people call things differently).  If the scope has rings included, then you'll need the correct bases that will attach to the tapped screw holes on the barrel, AND to the base of the scope rings.  You only need a RIMFIRE scope & mounts/bases at this time due to plinker status.  A larger objective is nice but not required either.

Edited by jpx2rk

BSA Sweet 22 3X9-40

I have owned this scope for about 2 years now...still zeroed.  Comes with 3 different BDC turrets for 36,38 and 40 grain ammo.  Glass is clear, "dead-on-balls" accurate (scientific term).  Definitely won't break the bank at $50.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bsa-sweet-22-3---9-x-40-riflescope?repChildCatid=32247

Edited by KaNaPaPi