Latest Bushcraft Sheath Prototype

This one is for a Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter. It has loops for the Exotac ferro rod and a ceramic sharpening rod I put together for the sheath. I have black steel hardware on the way so all the silver will be swapped out soon. I took the advice of others and made the drop loop removable, so it could be worn high on the belt or horizontally.  With the D-rings, it has a couple of lashing points as well.  There is a big thick welt on the blade side that roughly follows the stitching.  

What design tweaks should I make for the next one?  I think I am going to make some minor changes to how the loops attach on the back, and the D-ring on the bottom will be attached differently.  I placed the loops for the ferro rod and sharpening rod to the rear to make the face of the sheath more streamlined, but I am wondering if I should move them to the front.  Like the previous prototype there are some minor flaws with the stitching and cosmetics.  Suggestions are appreciated.

image_zps97tt0kmd.jpeg

image_zpsremre292.jpeg

image_zpsknv0yf8q.jpeg

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 3

Already improving over the last one!  I do believe I would like the accessories to the front.  The rods back there could potentially hang on a pocket maybe...  Excellent work my friend.

That's a good point.  I was thinking about it last night and I think I will try to come up with a modular attachment that can be moved where you want it.

I'd be afraid of the ceramic rod getting whacked and broken if it was moved to the outside.  It's protected up against the body/leg where it is.  If you moved it outside, I'd want it to be mostly covered. 

How about a couple pics of it being worn in the various positions?  I'd like to see how/where it rides. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I like the accessories where they are.  For the sake of keeping it close to the body and not hanging on stuff, I'd keep them where they are.

Likewise, if I were looking for a bushcraft sheath, I'd probably reach out and have it be a custom job - but I would probably give up versatility in the name of keeping it closer to my body.  That is, I'd choose either horizontal attachment or vertical attachment.  In my case, I generally prefer the vertical attachment.  I just get hung up when I try and carry a bigger knife horizontally.  I know it works for some people, so to each their own.

It's looking great!

• Like 1

First of all, really nice work.  I like the color, too. 

I am far from what anyone would call a 'bushcraft expert' or even an 'experienced bushcrafter'.  That said I do often carry fixed blade knives and have been practicing with ferro rods and experimenting with different styles of carry, lately and hope to get more 'bushcraft' experience in the future.  Personally I think the sharpening rod is fine where it is.  You might think about moving the ferro rod to sit right along the side or slightly to the front of the sheath, though.  My thinking is that things located rearward on the sheath might be difficult to access if worn in the optional scout style without removing the sheath from the belt.  In the case of the sharpening rod, my thinking is that would probably be fine as a person would most likely be sharpening/honing/maintaining the edge after getting settled in at camp or whatever.  I guess there is some possibility that a person would want to touch up the edge on the fly but all in all, the sharpener is likely better off where it is.

The ferro rod, on the other hand, might be more likely to be something a person would want to access 'on the fly' without having to remove the rig from his or her belt.  I'm thinking, for example, if someone wanted to get a fire started and then go gather more fuel to add to the fire later.  I am also thinking a little more in the direction of someone who might want to carry/use the sheath, knife and accessories in more of an 'EDC' role.  In my case, I live more or less 'in the woods' and lately I have been using a ferro rod instead of a lighter, etc. for everything from lighting fires to burn brush piles to lighting my smoker.  I am also finding that I like scout style carry, at least sometimes.  I say all that just to exemplify that my thinking of this type of sheath not just for bushcraft activities but for at least some measure of 'EDC' type usage might be a bit unique but there it is.

Edited by JAB