TruGlo TFX !?!?

• Moderators

I literally just discovered that TruGlo has released a new version of their "TFO" sites...

TFO = Tritum Fiber Optic

TFX = Tritum Fiber optic eXtreme

Supposedly they are more durable and built better than the older TFO's.

I always wanted the TFO's but was haunted by the horror stories of the vials falling out so I never actually bought them. This may remedy my fear.

Thinking of purchasing these:

http://amzn.to/1XOZH7W

But at $109 + shipping and installation, that's literally twice the price of the Glock sights installed at Smyrna. But I want the TFX's so much I think I will probably buy them dependent on feedback from this thread.

I may see if John Miller (Gunsmith) has any on hand in Cleveland for me to take a look at.

I have the TFX's on my Shield and like them a lot. I went with them over the TFO's not because of reported vial issues, but because I wanted the contrasting white ring on the front sight plus they have a little longer sight radius.

Truglo now has a sight better than the TFX's but I don't remember the model.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Moderators

I have the TFX's on my Shield and like them a lot. I went with them over the TFO's not because of reported vial issues, but because I wanted the contrasting white ring on the front sight plus they have a little longer sight radius.

Truglo now has a sight better than the TFX's but I don't remember the model.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Probably the TFX Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have TFO on a Sig P220 and after about 1500rnds no issues at all. The TFX Pro has a large Orange dot surrounding the tritium/fiber-optic insert. Looks a lot like the Trijicon HD.

I am considering them for another gun as I like that BIG front dot. I will probably do so in the not too distant future. Go for it!

• Like 1
For the OP, not sure where you're located as I'm posting from my phone but if you are in eastern TN I'd be willing to help with the installation if needed. I've got the site pusher for the rear and the wrenches for the fronts. I've never installed TFO's or TFX but I can't imagine they'd be much different than any other Glock night sight

I was all set to order a set of TFX Pros, but I got this image from their customer service department when I asked about sight picture.  Now, I'm not quite so sure.  My old eyes would get all sorts of confused.  I see the top of the sights much better than trying to align the tiny dots.  I might be able to do it okay at night.

Correct_Incorrect%20Sight%20Picture_zpsq

• Like 1

I was enamored with night sights for quite a while.  Not so much anymore as my lifestyle pretty much eliminates me from doing aimed pistol fire at night.  I do have a light/laser on my shotgun  One time  I even took off both front and rear sights from one of my Glocks to practice fast 15ft and closer shooting being forced not to use sights.  I  found I wasn't using sights anyway at those distances at speed.  I do like fine fiber optic sights for dinking around the range though.   One of my friends said that using a pistol light along with night sights is good for clearing warehouses and such when you don't have time to grab your AR or shotgun.  I haven't even been close to a situation like that in 25 yrs.  I did try just about every night sight there was at one time because of my Mr. MaGoo vision and found that at speed at close range they weren't much help.  Kind of like fiddle farting around with a laser on a handgun.  I figure they will be putting pennies over my eyes before I get the laser or night sights lined up to ward off an attack.

• Moderators

I was all set to order a set of TFX Pros, but I got this image from their customer service department when I asked about sight picture.  Now, I'm not quite so sure.  My old eyes would get all sorts of confused.  I see the top of the sights much better than trying to align the tiny dots.  I might be able to do it okay at night.

Correct_Incorrect%20Sight%20Picture_zpsq

Well, I guess since it is a dot system it makes sense to align the dots. That being said, it seems it would have been best to engineer the product so that the dots align at the same angle that the sight heights align.

I was enamored with night sights for quite a while.  Not so much anymore as my lifestyle pretty much eliminates me from doing aimed pistol fire at night.  I do have a light/laser on my shotgun  One time  I even took off both front and rear sights from one of my Glocks to practice fast 15ft and closer shooting being forced not to use sights.  I  found I wasn't using sights anyway at those distances at speed.  I do like fine fiber optic sights for dinking around the range though.   One of my friends said that using a pistol light along with night sights is good for clearing warehouses and such when you don't have time to grab your AR or shotgun.  I haven't even been close to a situation like that in 25 yrs.  I did try just about every night sight there was at one time because of my Mr. MaGoo vision and found that at speed at close range they weren't much help.  Kind of like fiddle farting around with a laser on a handgun.  I figure they will be putting pennies over my eyes before I get the laser or night sights lined up to ward off an attack.

My carry Glock 19 has a Surefire X300 Ultra attached at all times. If I have time to aim at the sights and also have time to turn on the light, in all likelihood the sights are going to go 100% silhouette. With that being said, I'm curious as to whether the fiber will glow any in a completely dark room with the X300 Ultra on (in other words, will spill from the light that hits the ceiling, etc be enough to make the sights glow).

That all being said, reasons I like night sights?

In the dark it allows you to see where your firearm is. It can be on my nightstand, etc etc and the little green dots let me know exactly where my firearm is. I am really hoping that I specifically like the TFX's because they seem to light up bright in sunlight. This could be really neat.

Specifically on firearms such as an AR-15, it would be really neat to manufacture a piece that was flexible fiber optic that would attach to a weapon light. It would be just enough fiber optic acting as a ring around the light that allows 95% of the light to spill from the flashlight as expected, but would catch the outer 5% of light around the outside of the weapon light head and then feed that light to a fiber optic set of front and rear sights and/or an ACOG type device. Quick pulse of the weapon light at night? Whenever the light is on  your sights are glowing like fiber optics do in daylight.

Edited by CZ9MM

Those are TFX not TFO, correct?Have you compared them side by side?The TFX brighter than TFO day and night?

They are TFO yellow rear, Green front and these suckers are very very bright day and night

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618314/truglo-tfo-sight-set-glock-42-43-tritium-fiber-optic?cm_mmc=se_service-_-shippingconf-_-shippingconf-_-ProductShippedTodayLink Edited by willis68
  • Moderators

I'm thinking about getting a set of these for my G43. Is there anyone around Chattanooga that can put them on?

Well, I used John Miller (JFM Gunsmithing) in Cleveland. He charged $20 and had it done it less than three hours turnaround (dropped it off and picked it up after work).

He is a good guy.

• Like 1

Well, I used John Miller (JFM Gunsmithing) in Cleveland. He charged $20 and had it done it less than three hours turnaround (dropped it off and picked it up after work).

He is a good guy.

Thanks CZ, I was looking to find someone closer to the Dunlap area.