Our Great Postal Service

Monkeybat

Been very luck this house and the previous we had great regular postal delivery people. If it doesn't fit it is brought up a fairly steep long drive/road (.4 miles to the mailbox). He even switched to a more aggressive Jeep when we had snow and came up the drive when even we were not to sure about if we could make it. He does honk when he pulls up, but if we don't come out it is placed on a chest freezer on the back porch by the door. Now the substitute delivery person, generally Saturdays, will put a note in the box that we were not home to take delivery even when we are home. I was tracking a package I really needed one time and actually put a stop on my mail so it would stay at the post office so I could pick it up Saturday morning because I knew the substitute would haul it around and take it back after the PO closed. 

UPS and FedEx are also great, they have actually told I didn't need to come out that they were suppose to bring to the door. One time when I had two packages the driver insisted on carrying the bigger package which I could have handled with the other package.

We buy lots over the internet and they all know where we live now. They were all appreciative when we handed out treats and Dunkin Donut coupons.

FedUp trucks tear up my my 300' drive as well.  Other than that,  I really don't have any complaints against them.  They always set packages on my by steps that is under a carport.  

The only  fuss I've had with the USPS is that for years they would not close my mailbox.   I complained repeatedly because of mail getting wet from rain and being blown out.  They once said it was because my box was too high.  So I lowered it.   Finally I had enough.   I called the post master.   Told him my mailbox has "USPS Approved" stamped on it and that means he's supposed to hire people smart enough to close it.   That pissed him off real good (I have this philosophy.  If one of us is going to be pissed off,  it might as well be him).    Anyway,  they learn how to close my mailbox and it has not been a problem for the last 10 years or so.  

Well I have nothing negative to say about my postwoman. If I get a package and it's raining, she will put it in a plastic bag. Real nice lady and hope she doesn't quit. You can have FedEx & UPS, they keep tearing up my drive.

Yes, we had one like that for over 10 years. A great lady. She came to our yard sales, a cookout or two, and was welcome any time.

Sadly, she got another route last fall. The replacements, they seem to cycle 3 throughout the week, are all useless.

One shoves mail in the box like a kid with toys...all mashed and crumpled. My magazines get ripped and torn. One never closed the box. I've picked up mail all over the street and in the ditches, not to mention getting mail for neighbors and some 2 and 3 streets away.

But the real pearl of the bunch...well I actually chased him down during the last heavy snow we had. I happened to be looking out my window as he drove down the street. Something just told me I should watch. Sure enough, this prize winner drove off the street, thru the yard and circled around a hackberry tree to end facing outward and pulled up beside the box. And then dropped about half the mail in the mud and snow in the drive.

When I picked up my jaw, I ran screaming out the door trying to get him to stop. Needless to say, he did not. Did I mention it was cold and snowy, and that I was in sandles and robe heading for the show? Froze my little tushie out there.

I did dress and catch up with him, where I somewhat lost it and not so politely asked him what in the hell he was doing driving thru the yard.

He sat in his little truck and said "I thought the drive was there." Whereupon I totally lost it. Yes, bad form and all that. But I was totally pissed by now.

I told him he was lying, I'd seen him on the route many times and that he full well knew where it was and that he hadn't driven in the yard before.

He continued saying he didn't know where the drive was. So before I got hauled in for manslaughter, I left. Went straight to the local station, and asked for the postmaster. He refused to see me that afternoon. He was too busy.

To sum it up. Postmaster, when he did see me the nest day, sided with the driver. Said he probably couldn't see in the snow and said it wouldn't happen again. Bull.

My ups and fedex guys are great. They come in my backyard, pet the dog, and leave my package hidden in a good spot on my covered porch. I can't say I hate usps, but I am certainly not impressed.

As with you, my UPS and FEDEX guys are great. Carry my boxes to the front porch, Place them in corners out of sight. Play with my dog if I'm home and she is out. One even recognized the PSA label one day and we had a nice little chat.

They get cards and gift certificates. The USPS guy gets squat from me.

Edited by hipower
Never had a problem with my mail carrier. She always seems nice and if something comes she thinks might be valuable she will come around the back of my house and leave it by the garage door near my patrol car. UPS guy seems good I'm sure he gets tired of dropping off a huge box of diapers every few weeks but no problems.

I have been living with bad mail service for so long I just ignore most
of it now. After being in a home small business of making fishing
baits and using the post office priority mail to ship my products I was
never to surprised but a couple times. One time was when I had a bait
customer that lives in Robbinsville NC that called me on a Sunday night
panicking because he had run out of a special bait I made for him
and he was leaving out Wednesday at 6AM to fish a big tournament
in SC and he asked me if I could get them to him before he left and I
told him not to worry. He would have the baits.

I sat up all Sunday night and had them all packed up in Express Mail
 package address and at the Post Office at 8 am on Monday. I put the
package on the counter and the guy typed in the zip code and told me
it was not going to happen over night. I said why not he said that
zip code only gets mail delivery 3 times a week Monday, Wednesday
and Friday. I said thanks and picked up the package and headed for
UPS Store.

I put the package on the counter and asked the clerk how fast they
could get that package to that address. He typed in the Zip code and
said 7PM tomorrow night and I said guaranteed and he said yep. I said
ship it and he put that box in a larger box of theirs and addressed it.
I paid $44.00 and then I told the guy that if my friend didn't call me
and tell me he got it at 7PM or sooner I was going to come back up
there and throw a large brick through the front window. My friend called
me at 6:45 Pm and first thing he said was don't throw the brick and I
started laughing and he said his wife would send me a a check. Just
send her an amount.

I had no idea folks only got mail 3 days a week any where in the 21st
Century.

• Moderators

I have been living with bad mail service for so long I just ignore most
of it now. After being in a home small business of making fishing
baits and using the post office priority mail to ship my products I was
never to surprised but a couple times. One time was when I had a bait
customer that lives in Robbinsville NC that called me on a Sunday night
panicking because he had run out of a special bait I made for him
and he was leaving out Wednesday at 6AM to fish a big tournament
in SC and he asked me if I could get them to him before he left and I
told him not to worry. He would have the baits.

I sat up all Sunday night and had them all packed up in Express Mail
package address and at the Post Office at 8 am on Monday. I put the
package on the counter and the guy typed in the zip code and told me
it was not going to happen over night. I said why not he said that
zip code only gets mail delivery 3 times a week Monday, Wednesday
and Friday. I said thanks and picked up the package and headed for
UPS Store.

I put the package on the counter and asked the clerk how fast they
could get that package to that address. He typed in the Zip code and
said 7PM tomorrow night and I said guaranteed and he said yep. I said
ship it and he put that box in a larger box of theirs and addressed it.
I paid $44.00 and then I told the guy that if my friend didn't call me
and tell me he got it at 7PM or sooner I was going to come back up
there and throw a large brick through the front window. My friend called
me at 6:45 Pm and first thing he said was don't throw the brick and I
started laughing and he said his wife would send me a a check. Just
send her an amount.

I had no idea folks only got mail 3 days a week any where in the 21st
Century.

Robbinsville is a beautiful place but it's a long way from anywhere. Used to live about 45 minutes from there.

I know the post office makes mistakes, every one of the 450,000 employees are in fact human.  But...

Thought for the arm chairs out there.

Last year, the post office moved well over 216 billion pieces of mail (including packages) to and from different locations from all over the country and world.  That breaks down to 24.6 million pieces of something being moved, stored, loaded, scanned, lifted or touched every hour of the day, all day, all year long.  Then, you factor in the contractors that are also in the loop but not postal employees directly that don't care two squats about the mail and you tend to get chaos that is hard to control.

Believe this, if you think a private company would be any different and do a better job, for the same price, all I have to say is think Walmart.

So, I task anyone of you that have a serious problem to either file a formal complaint which will be followed up on very seriously OR take the time and restructure the whole process and sell it to Congress and make it work perfectly so nothing ever again goes wrong or comes up missing.

*** I am not defending employees that are blatantly doing the wrong thing like throwing away mail or leaving packages in the weeds, etc.  Those people need to have a complaint filed against them through USPS.com and it will be takin seriously because that comes through DC headquarters to the postmaster and they have to handle the situation or he/she gets the hot seat.

No offense, but if I make a complaint, I will never see a piece of mail again. Ever. It's different out here than in the city. In Crieve Hall, my lady was awesome. This is different out here. He doesn't speak to us other than to complain about how much Amazon orders we get or that we should really invest in a PO Box. They screwed up an overnight of a knife from GT that was a Christmas present and marked it undeliverable. I don't leave our house. Ever. Especially when there's a package coming.

I called the 1-800 number, sat on hold 45 minutes and got a mouth breather who couldn't help me with my problem. I highly doubt an online complaint would be much different.

The only thing that's even gotten an ounce of respect from the guy is when he's seen our guns. We open carry at home on the property. But that glimmer of politeness has even faded.
I too have attempted to escalate my issues several times. I complain to the postmaster and she gives me the number to a local "supervisor" but he never answers or return calls despite leaving several messages.

Tracking numbers are different than insurance numbers and my post office refuses to let you put tracking on an insured package. And as those who have insured packages know you cannot track it and you will get the first status update a few days after it has been delivered.

The told me that my name MUST be on the return address. Makes being a secret Santa kind of hard. I asked them to show me and they got pissy about it so I just added my return address.

I am just getting tired of my tax money going to worthless employees. I had an issue with another government organization. An employee was required to do something, promised to do it but a month later it had not been done. I called in to find out and the emplyee blew it off. I said, exactly like this, "if someone isn't going to do their job then they need to be held accountable" to which the employee I was talking about said "you can get in trouble for threatening government employees like that". I told the person I wasn't threatening an employee and they need to do the job they are being pad to do. That is when I got an odd vibe like they were going to call the cops on me. No doubt somewhere on some government computer system is says I have threatened government employees.

You think the thin blue line is rough to cross watch the government employees circle the wagons and threaten you if they think you are going to file a complaint. Especially local governments. Had an issue with my sheriff that required an attorney to call him. Come Monday two officers where at my door wanting to know what guns I had in the house. No doubt a fishing expedition by the sheriff and his officers. Our current sheriff hates me because we have history over the time my brother tried to kill us. My brother was holding my father hostage at gun point and when I told the sheriff he said there was no probable cause to investigate. I told him my brother was threatening to kill us in the weeks leading up to him trying to kill us and the sheriff did NOTHING. We had SWAT guarding our house while the standoff took place. But complain on this sheriff and his goons WILL take care of your complaint personally. I am sure there are a couple in here so I will probably get a visit.

Robbinsville is a beautiful place but it's a long way from anywhere. Used to live about 45 minutes from there.

Yea, I found that out gg. Joey has invited me down several times to spend some time fishing with him on Lake Fontana for some small mouth's but I have never been able to find the time and after him telling me a little bit about that area, not sure about going..... :bow:   He said the Movie "Deliverance" was filmed all around his home and you can walk out on his back porch up on the mountain and see that railroad bridge over the river that was in the movie. He said you can also on a quiet night still hear the banjo's and guitars being picked down on the middle of the mountain even today. He said those people used in the movie where they sat down and played dueling Banjo's on that front porch in the movie were the real people from the mountain along with the ole man that danced. From what I gather most if not all of that particular mountain in Robbinsville must be owned by the same family because every road on the Mountain is name after a past resident of the mountain. All of the roads are named after Bridges family member............ :whistle: Joey and I speak often even though he has about quit fishing we have remained friends and I guess will for ever. I did get to meet him one time. I was going to spend a week with friends on Lake Douglas and Joey drove about 4 hours through the mountains to spend a day with us. A great friend for sure......... :up: 

• Moderators

Yea, I found that out gg. Joey has invited me down several times to spend some time fishing with him on Lake Fontana for some small mouth's but I have never been able to find the time and after him telling me a little bit about that area, not sure about going..... :bow: He said the Movie "Deliverance" was filmed all around his home and you can walk out on his back porch up on the mountain and see that railroad bridge over the river that was in the movie. He said you can also on a quiet night still hear the banjo's and guitars being picked down on the middle of the mountain even today. He said those people used in the movie where they sat down and played dueling Banjo's on that front porch in the movie were the real people from the mountain along with the ole man that danced. From what I gather most if not all of that particular mountain in Robbinsville must be owned by the same family because every road on the Mountain is name after a past resident of the mountain. All of the roads are named after Bridges family member............ :whistle: Joey and I speak often even though he has about quit fishing we have remained friends and I guess will for ever. I did get to meet him one time. I was going to spend a week with friends on Lake Douglas and Joey drove about 4 hours through the mountains to spend a day with us. A great friend for sure......... :up:

I could tell you a lot of stories from that area. Some of the finest people you will meet but very protective of family and friends and very wary of "outsiders". Fontana Lake is gorgeous.

Several times a year I receive my neighbor's mail.  After writting a note that it was delivered to the wrong address and taking it to the local post office, I now take it to a post office in the next city I'm working in.  Maybe I'm expecting too much from the post office employees.

Two years ago I had two people order knives. One sent a check, one sent a USPS money order. Neither envelope made it. Took months to get that shit straightened out. If I ship USPS it gets tracking and insured, and I will raise holy hell if it gets lost or damaged. They hate me at my local PO but my mail gets delivered correctly

Sent from behind the anvil

I could tell you a lot of stories from that area. Some of the finest people you will meet but very protective of family and friends and very wary of "outsiders". Fontana Lake is gorgeous.

After making this post earlier I decided to give Joey a call and he was glad I did. He said I have thought about you often. We talked for about 85 minutes according to my Cell phone timer and really enjoyed catching up on things. As far as family goes Joey told me he had a house full of Grand children most of the time to keep him busy since his wife still works at hospital down there so he is the baby sitter while the kids all work also. He sure wants me to come and visit and fish Fontana with him. I might just look at it this late Spring/early Summer. He told me I could bring Kasey with me and I laughed. He said I know you don't go to many places without the mutt. Maybe some day you and I can get together and you can share some things about the area gg.  

I know if all the folks down that way are like Joey and Judy they have all got to be great folks..........jmho

• Moderators

After making this post earlier I decided to give Joey a call and he was glad I did. He said I have thought about you often. We talked for about 85 minutes according to my Cell phone timer and really enjoyed catching up on things. As far as family goes Joey told me he had a house full of Grand children most of the time to keep him busy since his wife still works at hospital down there so he is the baby sitter while the kids all work also. He sure wants me to come and visit and fish Fontana with him. I might just look at it this late Spring/early Summer. He told me I could bring Kasey with me and I laughed. He said I know you don't go to many places without the mutt. Maybe some day you and I can get together and you can share some things about the area gg.

I know if all the folks down that way are like Joey and Judy they have all got to be great folks..........jmho

You definitely need to take him up on the offer. Would love to meet sometime and chat.

Yea, I found that out gg. Joey has invited me down several times to spend some time fishing with him on Lake Fontana for some small mouth's but I have never been able to find the time and after him telling me a little bit about that area, not sure about going..... :bow:   He said the Movie "Deliverance" was filmed all around his home and you can walk out on his back porch up on the mountain and see that railroad bridge over the river that was in the movie. He said you can also on a quiet night still hear the banjo's and guitars being picked down on the middle of the mountain even today. He said those people used in the movie where they sat down and played dueling Banjo's on that front porch in the movie were the real people from the mountain along with the ole man that danced. From what I gather most if not all of that particular mountain in Robbinsville must be owned by the same family because every road on the Mountain is name after a past resident of the mountain. All of the roads are named after Bridges family member............ :whistle: Joey and I speak often even though he has about quit fishing we have remained friends and I guess will for ever. I did get to meet him one time. I was going to spend a week with friends on Lake Douglas and Joey drove about 4 hours through the mountains to spend a day with us. A great friend for sure......... :up: 

I've rafted down the river Deliverance was filmed on, It is indeed a long way from anywhere!