any hog hunters out there?

Just started Hog hunting for a friend on her 60 acre property in Walden TN. Scouted the area yesterday during the day. didn't see any hogs but I've identified all the game trails and saw lots of rooting, skat, tracks, tree rub etc. I figure the hogs were hunkered down higher up on one of the many ridges too steep for me to climb. I've never hunted them before (I'm mainly a deer, coyote and rabbit hunter). I got some ideas from researching but its always good to get some advice from those who have experience. Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

+1 to Sunfish's "smart animal".

I've hunted hogs in Texas and I can tell you that they're a lot smarter then any whitetail buck you've ever encountered. 

My number one tip ... the wind has to be perfect. Hogs can can scent you from a long distance. Find a feed source, sit down wind from it, and be patient.

My best luck was always before sunset.

Just started Hog hunting for a friend on her 60 acre property in Walden TN. Scouted the area yesterday during the day. didn't see any hogs but I've identified all the game trails and saw lots of rooting, skat, tracks, tree rub etc. I figure the hogs were hunkered down higher up on one of the many ridges too steep for me to climb. I've never hunted them before (I'm mainly a deer, coyote and rabbit hunter). I got some ideas from researching but its always good to get some advice from those who have experience. Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

I have never hunted hogs, but Walden is close to where I live in  Dunlap. Please keep us posted.

Hogs can smell you and hear long before you see them. I tried hunting them at Fort Rucker in Alabama. I walked miles and miles of woods and creek beds and only saw tracks. I was driving a down a gravel road through the training area and I saw a big herd of hogs in the road about 50 yards ahead of me. I stopped my truck and the hogs ran into the woods. I was a little excited so I got out and walked into the woods to see where they went. .
I started looking right where they went into woods, there was a dry creek bed right there inside the woods about 30 feet deep. I walked as quiet as I could along the ridge above the creek bed ,at the end of it the creek bed it merged with with another creek bed. And there was this entire herd of hogs wallowing in the mud like it was a resort or something. They did not know I was watching them. One of them was a 3 legged Hampshire farm hog and the others were all completely wild. I stood and realized my bad luck, I had not been hunting that day and did not have gun. So after a little I clapped my hands and yelled and that whole herd went up the opposite side of the creek into woods. I never saw a 3 legged hog move so fast. I went back to that spot a couple times and never saw hogs there again.
Most of hogs taken at Rucker were trapped by local contract hunters in big traps baited with corn. Deer hunters got a few too.
I've only hunted them one season, but learned from the guide they are pretty well one of the smartest critters you can hunt. They have beyond amazing smell, like better than deer..... and although they have great smell they can't hear or see for anything. I've walked up on them to the tune of 15' before and they didn't know I was there.

Also any place they've been hunted much at all, they figure out your routine quick... and go nocturnal.

Bait works well...

If you just want meat and them gone, the best bet is to trap them. Not quite as fun though

This is pretty much a get rid of em exercise for my friend on whose land they have made their home. I'm definitely going to use bait and hunting them at night. If they have moved on that would be good news but I know they haven't. Most evenings they come right up to the deck of the house on the property when they are there on weekends.

Edited by polecat
I had a friend that had them coming up in his yard. He left a window open to get a shot. They wouldn't come in the yard when the window was open. How they knew it was open or not we never figured out. Noise and scent maybe?
  • 2 weeks later...

This is pretty much a get rid of em exercise for my friend on whose land they have made their home. I'm definitely going to use bait and hunting them at night. If they have moved on that would be good news but I know they haven't. Most evenings they come right up to the deck of the house on the property when they are there on weekends.

Make sure sure you have filed the proper paperwork with TWRA. There is no open hog hunting in Tennessee except a few WMA's and Game Reserves.

But feeders at night under lights is the way to go. Permits/Paperwork required.

Dave

Hunted a lot of hogs in West Texas, but never in TN. I always hunted their water source at dusk. Where I was it was slim pickins if they wanted a drink, so they had to come to me. If you have one main access to water that would not be a bad option, especially when it starts to heat up. Edited by I am Groot!
I found myself unarmed and in the middle of a herd a few years ago. They came out of the woods and across the trail where I was. I just stood still and they didn't seem to notice me.

As soon as I developed an interest to hunt them, TWRA squashed the idea.

Make sure sure you have filed the proper paperwork with TWRA. There is no open hog hunting in Tennessee except a few WMA's and Game Reserves.
But feeders at night under lights is the way to go. Permits/Paperwork required.

Dave

Just curious how this is working out? So far success/failure/too soon to know? Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1

TWRA has a lot on its plate, but they have possibly made a problem with the hogs. I've heard of some landowners that will not let the 10 designated hunters hunt they're land. So, they are now complaining to TWRA about the hog problem, and TWRA now traps them for the landowner. Our stupid tax dollars at work I guess.

• Like 1

I found myself unarmed and in the middle of a herd a few years ago. They came out of the woods and across the trail where I was. I just stood still and they didn't seem to notice me.

As soon as I developed an interest to hunt them, TWRA squashed the idea.

Just curious how this is working out? So far success/failure/to soon to know?

In my opinion, it isn't working out at all. I'm finding hogs in places now that they have never been in. Got to get them hardheaded biologist to change things!

Dave

• Like 1

TWRA has a lot on its plate, but they have possibly made a problem with the hogs. I've heard of some landowners that will not let the 10 designated hunters hunt they're land. So, they are now complaining to TWRA about the hog problem, and TWRA now traps them for the landowner. Our stupid tax dollars at work I guess.

When we get near the end of the "budget year", the hogs will go "hog wild"!

Dave

Sportsmans license price hike...

Sportsmans license price hike...

Probably has some impact on the increased rates.  

TWRA isn't funded through tax dollars, just by the sale of hunting/fishing licenses.  The rules and regs are a mix of legislative intervention, and rulings from the board.  

I really don't agree with how they have handled the hog issue, but I am also not sure about how widespread the problem really is.

Edited by quietguy